Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise

You have a good piece of forensic evidence, the undamaged prop. Get a good magnifying glass and closely examine the threads. If that prop popped off on ground impact, those threads will be visibly damaged. If they are in perfect shape, that prop definitely came off in mid air. That could be a secondary failure however, sudden motor stoppage likely being what ejected the prop.

Here is a picture of the prop. I can only see a sliver of plastic out of place. The lower threads appear fine.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447282923.600890.jpg

Reactions: III% Streve
Let me ask you this. To me, inexperienced, it seems everything is working fine. Motors, gimbal, camera, battery. The body is damaged. Seems ridiculous to have to pay 70% for a new unit. That'd be like paying 70% for a replacement body. Seems like a losing proposition. I guess I can't tell if motors and electronics are 100%
Really, I think your best option is to buy a new P3 and sell the parts from the crashed bird. The motherboard, camera and controller are worth several hundred each. You would be adding a battery to your pocket. Repair it your self might be an option. But it may end up nickel and diming you to death, and may never fly properly. Paying to have it repaired costs either $65 or $85 an hour.

Who cares if there is rebar anywhere? Its not relevant to this crash. It is impossible for a compass falling out of a P3 to cause a prop to spin off! Much less a magnetic deviation to cause it!

Calm down dude. I was implying the rebar because the log file is full of compass errors. There was a sidewalk mentioned. Sidewalks and driveways can have rebar in them. Mine does. I get compass errors when I set my P3 on the sidewalk. If you take off from an object or near an object that has metal it will cause compass problems. If the prop spun off in flight and that's known then obviously that's the cause of the crash with the compass errors to follow

Reactions: JKDSensei
I always take off from the concrete road in front of my house. I am sure it would have rebar. Most sidewalks don't. They might have a wire mesh embedded. I have checked many places with a gauss meter. I have yet to find any of this mythical magnetic concrete.

Concrete road? Not asphalt ?

Mythical concrete ? I once took off from a concrete picnic table at a park. The flight was all jacked up. I landed recalibrated compass set down picnic table and got compass errors. Moved aircraft away from table on asphalt parking lot and no errors. I don't make this stuff up and not a noob.

Let me ask you this. To me, inexperienced, it seems everything is working fine. Motors, gimbal, camera, battery. The body is damaged. Seems ridiculous to have to pay 70% for a new unit. That'd be like paying 70% for a replacement body. Seems like a losing proposition. I guess I can't tell if motors and electronics are 100%
Can you post a picture of your damaged P3 shell? I straightened mine myself and it's fine with 50 new flights. I didn't have to buy a shell, not yet anyway.

Calm down dude. I was implying the rebar because the log file is full of compass errors. There was a sidewalk mentioned. Sidewalks and driveways can have rebar in them. Mine does. I get compass errors when I set my P3 on the sidewalk. If you take off from an object or near an object that has metal it will cause compass problems. If the prop spun off in flight and that's known then obviously that's the cause of the crash with the compass errors to follow

I been saying rebar I meant wire mesh.

Just buy a new shell from Amazon. $59 bucks I think. It arrives next day. Took me 6 hours working slow late at night to replace mine but easy work and there is a video on YouTube clearly showing how to do it. The one with no sound. I was up and running better than before but less 59 bucks and some sleep.

Just buy a new shell from Amazon. $59 bucks I think. It arrives next day. Took me 6 hours working slow late at night to replace mine but easy work and there is a video on YouTube clearly showing how to do it. The one with no sound. I was up and running better than before but less 59 bucks and some sleep.

$59 is worth a try!

Motor stopping is categorized as engine failure and OP should get a free replacement.

Here is the video, part 1 of 6. You get the idea and can find the other 5. I replaced my shell following his and had no issues whatsoever. In fact, you gain learning and appreciation of the drone by doing this, and feel more in control should you ever have another crash. A lot better than just sending it off to/ relying on DJI and hoping you'll get it back in 3 weeks if not 8 weeks.

Reactions: bobmyers
As the prop that was missing earlier has no damages to threads, it means it got separated during flight. And that can happen if motor suddenly stops. If this is correct than its engine failure. Am I correct?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka