Bummed. New P3A Crashed. Pls Advise

Wow. Thanks. This community is great. So, if I understand you correctly, even if I forgot to finger tighten or snug twist, my prop should have stayed on. Is that what you're saying? I obviously, at the very least, spun it on to a light think stop. Thank for this effort. You're all-world!

Interesting setup, especially in that you didnt loose any skin! As you stated though, different motors, prop, and ESC. Its not a test of what Active Breaking is doing, and an ESC failure like what was created would not reverse its self most likely. It could though. This "short" would show up in the logs though.

Wow. Thanks. This community is great. So, if I understand you correctly, even if I forgot to finger tighten or snug twist, my prop should have stayed on. Is that what you're saying? I obviously, at the very least, spun it on to a light think stop. Thank for this effort. You're all-world!
Question. In your heart does one loose/missing prop align with your recollection of the P3 being, "visibly powerless on its descent. It was tumbling out of the sky. I would have to assess that no power was going to the blades."

Visually I guess I can't say if blades were turning. I can say it fell like a rock and it was off axis meaning the unit was sideways and upside down.
If you can't say with certainty that the props were still turning as it fell, we still can't disprove the lost prop theory. That theory has to remain a top possibility. I do also still think that a battery not fully seated (but still allowing power for data) could also be the cause. Assuming of course that there was no simple electronic failure which can happen to any of us at any moment.

Last edited:
Good work.
The one variable you weren't able to duplicate in your test was the movement of air and the effect that would have on the propeller. In all your tests the propeller was working with the advantage of having the resistance of air.

If you repeat your tests (or someone else does) and simulate reduced air pressure such as at the apex of an ascent or any maneuver that causes the prop to cavitate, I do believe the rate at which the prop comes off would increase considerably.

I had a similar incident with mine and am sure it is because the battery backed out. The night before, I pushed a fresh charged battery in nice and firm - next morning flight lasted seconds before the craft fell through a tree which slowed the craft but allowed the battery to eject fully and hit the ground first. It is obvious to me that the batteries can be unlatched without notice. At least take as much care as you can to be sure they are in. I no longer trust mine at all now to be consistent.

As I said, I don't have a P3 to test but you could easily try it with yours if the motors will still spin up. Place the prop on loosely and spin up the motor. Shut it down and see how difficult it is to remove. That should answer your question.
I get somewhat frustrated and the folks on here who jump on anyone who reports a crash and tries every way possible to convince them that it was their fault. DJI has had a history of flyaways, bad solder joints and power failures. I would like to believe that the naysayers are just fanboys who can't admit that their favorite toy could have defects, but their behavior is so rabid, that I wonder if they are paid by DJI to troll these forums and discourage new folks from reporting failures.
Don't let them get you down. Report your problem and hope that DJI does the right thing.

As I said, I don't have a P3 to test but you could easily try it with yours if the motors will still spin up. Place the prop on loosely and spin up the motor. Shut it down and see how difficult it is to remove. That should answer your question.
I get somewhat frustrated and the folks on here who jump on anyone who reports a crash and tries every way possible to convince them that it was their fault. DJI has had a history of flyaways, bad solder joints and power failures. I would like to believe that the naysayers are just fanboys who can't admit that their favorite toy could have defects, but their behavior is so rabid, that I wonder if they are paid by DJI to troll these forums and discourage new folks from reporting failures.
Don't let them get you down. Report your problem and hope that DJI does the right thing.
I'll get the dips, you get the Doritos.

Ooook. I cant even take off from my sidewalk. Compass errors. I Take off from street. Asphalt
Who cares if there is rebar anywhere? Its not relevant to this crash. It is impossible for a compass falling out of a P3 to cause a prop to spin off! Much less a magnetic deviation to cause it!

Ooook. I cant even take off from my sidewalk. Compass errors. I Take off from street. Asphalt
I always take off from the concrete road in front of my house. I am sure it would have rebar. Most sidewalks don't. They might have a wire mesh embedded. I have checked many places with a gauss meter. I have yet to find any of this mythical magnetic concrete.

Reactions: III% Streve
You have a good piece of forensic evidence, the undamaged prop. Get a good magnifying glass and closely examine the threads. If that prop popped off on ground impact, those threads will be visibly damaged. If they are in perfect shape, that prop definitely came off in mid air. That could be a secondary failure however, sudden motor stoppage likely being what ejected the prop.

Fortunately, I let the crash and its evidence point the conversation in a direction. Not my intentions. Yes, DJI has some issue. As does every company. But there is no other way to explain a prop coming off of a flying P3. Its not an attempt to make an owner feel bad, or misdirect fault. Its the facts speaking for themselves. A bad solder joint only causes a failure if it breaks contact. Its so insanely unlikely to magically RE-ATTACH its not even fathomable what the odds might be. If one of the 4 motors not failed to spin.. I might have taken that route in my deductions. But that isn't the case. The initial statement that there was no power to the props was an assumption developed out of observation of a lack of response and corresponding lack of a change in the crash pending. It was 300+ feet away. NOT close enough to see blades spinning and almost impossible to hear changes in props as well. The FACT is that power was present until impact with the ground. Obvious because there is data recorded all the way till that impact. Its also obvious a prop was not functioning, either because it was broke, missing, or the motor wasn't turning, because of the rapid changes in compass data during the decent. Changes that far exceed what can be manually applied. That also proved that poser was still being applied to the remaining motors. You can cry about fan-boys all day. But the facts are still going to be the facts! I have helped just as many people get their P3s replaced as I have said they are out of luck. This will very likely turn into an offer from DJI of a 30% discount on a replacement P3. Not because I said so, but because that's what happens most often. Again.. The facts speak for themselves.

The best thing we can hope for to stop this kind of crash is a ratcheting style lock on the hubs. It would totally eliminate this situation. But would cost far more than the current blades do. I dont see it happening. Mostly because it would require every P3 be retrofitted. So at best, it will be developed in to a future model. Until that time, stop crying! You sound ridiculous!!

Last edited:
Let me ask you this. To me, inexperienced, it seems everything is working fine. Motors, gimbal, camera, battery. The body is damaged. Seems ridiculous to have to pay 70% for a new unit. That'd be like paying 70% for a replacement body. Seems like a losing proposition. I guess I can't tell if motors and electronics are 100%

Question. In your heart does one loose/missing prop align with your recollection of the P3 being, "visibly powerless on its descent. It was tumbling out of the sky. I would have to assess that no power was going to the blades."

Have you ever noticed when you have a bad motor or let's say missing prop, the other motors will not speed up, but actually slow to match the corner of the drone with no lift? That could explain why it sounded or looked like all the motors failed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3