broken something?

Reaction score
apologies in advance I searched for a thread for drone breaks and must not have worded it right because I couldn't find one. I crashed mine obviously and just the ring broke around the roll arm or whatever, the ribbon is in tact, and so is the aircraft, do I really gotta buy a whole new gimbal for damage to this little ring? see photo. thanks again and apologies again for not finding that thread.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    936.9 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 354
Look on eBay - they sell replacement arms etc all over the place there, and at reasonable prices too

You need a gimbal roll arm. DJI does not sell that part, but a few third parties make a replacement. Here are a few that'll work:
Note: The listings above show they only fit the P3P/P3A, but they will also fit the P34K (if that's what you have).

I have the 3 pro. I should've worded this better but I went to a drone shop and the dude claims I have to replace the whole gimbal without him even turning it on and just looking. I know I obviously don't know much about the mechanics but when I crashed it the aircraft could still fly fine and the camera works but it says gimbal motor overload which I'm assuming is cuz it's detached. I know I could fix it either way I just don't want to spend 350 on the gimbal if I don't have too!

You need a gimbal roll arm. DJI does not sell that part, but a few third parties make a replacement. Here are a few that'll work:
Note: The listings above show they only fit the P3P/P3A, but they will also fit the P34K (if that's what you have).
have

I haven't seen many cases that required the entire gimbal to be replaced. That's obviously the easiest fix though -- even more so if you don't know what you're doing.

I haven't seen many cases that required the entire gimbal to be replaced. That's obviously the easiest fix though -- even more so if you don't know what you're doing.
agreed, I didn't know how until yesterday and I can fix it NO PROBLEM, especially on the pro it's so simple. it's just being on a timeline and not knowing if it requires the whole fix or just the roll arm. I've watched a million things to educate myself it's just making the right move on which part I get and it not failing due to time constraints. quite frankly for the new gimbal from dji financial restraints as well.

Same exact thing happened to me. I am dealing with it right now! You can replace just the roll arm. the new one will press on with some difficulty, in other words, a very tight fit! Clean off as much of the old glue as you can so it will go on easier. You can glue it back on if you want, but mine went on so tight that it didn't need any glue. Make sure the camera is on the correct side when you press it on. It is entirely possible to put it on the wrong side with the camera upside down if you're not paying attention and it is very difficult to remove again! (Ask me how I know this)!!!

At this moment, with it all back together, I have "no image transmission signal" and "gimbal disconnected" errors. I'm going to replace all of the ribbon cables to try and correct it. I'm not saying you will have those same errors, but I have them after just replacing the roll arm.

Good luck, take your time and handle everything gently.

Same exact thing happened to me. I am dealing with it right now! You can replace just the roll arm. the new one will press on with some difficulty, in other words, a very tight fit! Clean off as much of the old glue as you can so it will go on easier. You can glue it back on if you want, but mine went on so tight that it didn't need any glue. Make sure the camera is on the correct side when you press it on. It is entirely possible to put it on the wrong side with the camera upside down if you're not paying attention and it is very difficult to remove again! (Ask me how I know this)!!!

At this moment, with it all back together, I have "no image transmission signal" and "gimbal disconnected" errors. I'm going to replace all of the ribbon cables to try and correct it. I'm not saying you will have those same errors, but I have them after just replacing the roll arm.

Good luck, take your time and handle everything gently.
man! this makes me want to just spent the 400 on the gimbal since its way easier, but that's almost Half what the drone cost. keep me updated how it goes please!

man! this makes me want to just spent the 400 on the gimbal since its way easier, but that's almost Half what the drone cost. keep me updated how it goes please!

No, don't be discouraged! My issues after the repair could very well just be me mishandling the cable replacement. Roll arm is relatively inexpensive, and that's what you should go with for now. Yours may go right back together and work just fine.

Depending on how far you tear down the gimbal you will have some handling of the motor ribbons, handle them with care, they don't like repeated twisting and bending. Not OMG scary handling, but they can develop a tear on the edges. Yeah, happen to me, but in my case I had a hidden problem that caused me to assemble/disassemble multiple times.
You can do this.
It may have also been said, but watch how the camera goes back on. You can install it 180 degrees out. It will fit, but not work.

Good luck

Sent from the Traveler from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Depending on how far you tear down the gimbal you will have some handling of the motor ribbons, handle them with care, they don't like repeated twisting and bending. Not OMG scary handling, but they can develop a tear on the edges. Yeah, happen to me, but in my case I had a hidden problem that caused me to assemble/disassemble multiple times.
You can do this.
It may have also been said, but watch how the camera goes back on. You can install it 180 degrees out. It will fit, but not work.

Good luck

ok so after replacing the roll arm, the drone is still saying the same thing "gimbal status poor" and quickly switches to "gimbal motor overload" and tells me to remove the clamp that isn't there haha. my ribbon cable has split in two in some areas but all of the ends etc are still connected. idk if that makes sense picture a twizzlers pull and peel candy with the ends connected and portions in between have come apart like () before touching together, this is probably a dumb question but could that be the cause? or should I just buy a whole new gimbal?

ok so after replacing the roll arm, the drone is still saying the same thing "gimbal status poor" and quickly switches to "gimbal motor overload" and tells me to remove the clamp that isn't there haha. my ribbon cable has split in two in some areas but all of the ends etc are still connected. idk if that makes sense picture a twizzlers pull and peel candy with the ends connected and portions in between have come apart like () before touching together, this is probably a dumb question but could that be the cause? or should I just buy a whole new gimbal?

That split, like two cable on top of each other is normal IMO.
When you turn on the drone does the gimbal do its little dance and then go to level or is it completely dead?

The ribbon cable could have a small fracture that can be hard to see. I once even had a new in the package cable that was defective. I would give the two connectors between the gimbal and drone a good inspection first and if they look fine then I would consider buying a new ribbon cable. The gimbal is just a bunch of parts with the big ticket item being the camera. I don't have an extra, but perhaps someone on here can gift you a serviceable used ribbon cable to test with. Wouldn't cost more than a postage stamp to mail it. Then you would know for sure if a new cable would take care of it.

How about it members, does anyone have a serviceable used spare laying around?

Please and thank you!

The ribbon cable could have a small fracture that can be hard to see. I once even had a new in the package cable that was defective. I would give the two connectors between the gimbal and drone a good inspection first and if they look fine then I would consider buying a new ribbon cable. The gimbal is just a bunch of parts with the big ticket item being the camera. I don't have an extra, but perhaps someone on here can gift you a serviceable used ribbon cable to test with. Wouldn't cost more than a postage stamp to mail it. Then you would know for sure if a new cable would take care of it.

How about it members, does anyone have a serviceable used spare laying around?

Please and thank you!

it starts to dance around and tries to the whole time it's on until I turn it off because it gets hot, but the entire time it hangs lopsided. I'm not really sure what to do, if I didn't have a harddrive failure this week too that I'm paying for data recovery on then I would just buy a new gimbal but man I'm crippled right now in the midst of shooting daily. if I knew it was the ribbon cable id buy no problem but I keep running through options and spending more and more money. I'm not really sure what to think.

it also constantly switches from "gimbal status overload" to "gimbal status poor" the ENTIRE time, and the camera works fine, so I would have thought the broken roll arm was the only problem....

it also constantly switches from "gimbal status overload" to "gimbal status poor" the ENTIRE time, and the camera works fine, so I would have thought the broken roll arm was the only problem....

Hey, I understand.
If downtime is hurting you more than anything then I would consider a replacement. DJI sales them, but you could also just have it fixed for less than the cost of new. Your recent comment about it getting hot didn't say what part was hot, so I guessing that it is the roll motor. Not an expensive item, but it is another buy and try situation. So, look thru some post for a guy named Hunch (available via PM) or check with FstopLabs, either should be able to repair it for less than new.

Of course if you decide to buy new you can always fix the current at you leisure then have a spare or sale it here on the forum. I don't think you would have any issue getting a price that would offset your losses on the new.

I would be to concerned about the poor signal message, that should be addressed when the gimbal overload is done.

Again, you can do this, but I do get not having all the known bad parts on hand. If you continue to try to self fix it, just be careful with the motor ribbons. I jacked one of mine from repeated dissembling. Just another part, but another few days to get a replacement too.

Last edited:
hey guys I hope somehow everyone who has the same problem as me finds this form, it's as simple as popping the back off the yaw arm removing that chip and then straightening out the metal piece with some needle nose pliers no need for new gimbal or anything!! also here's a video I just released with my drone footy I've been shooting, enjoy and thank you all again!!

Please explain a little better. You removed a chip. You straightened out "the metal piece". What chip and what metal piece? Did you straighten some metal piece on the chip, or some other metal piece? Even though you know what you did and you know what your describing because you did it, others reading it may not know what you're talking about.

Since I have a similar issue, I would like to know exactly what you're talking about.

Thanks!

Please explain a little better. You removed a chip. You straightened out "the metal piece". What chip and what metal piece? Did you straighten some metal piece on the chip, or some other metal piece? Even though you know what you did and you know what your describing because you did it, others reading it may not know what you're talking about.

Since I have a similar issue, I would like to know exactly what you're talking about.

Thanks!
sorry its been an insane week. also there is only one metal piece once that chip is removed haha. it needs to be turned flush with the camera. this guy will save your life >>

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl