Broke the 100 flight mark last week. Thinking of selling my bird though.

Just broke the 100 flight mark last week. I had my P3P replaced by B&H early on due to shipment damage of the gimbal. I just put together the flights from both birds. I started off scared as you can be as I had lost two toy/beginner UAV's to wind. I steadily got more bold and confidant but lately I have become a lot more scared and cautious. UAV's are banned in all Seattle parks with only two small tree encased fly zones exceptions. I was approached by Seattle PD and made aware of this while I was in preflight in a park. Since then they have scared me off from flying two more times. This leaves only private property to fly from in Seattle and means flying over people homes cars and pets. I feel this is a dangerous result of not being able to fly in parks with very few people around. To add to this the one park I do fly in has horrible signal interference on all channels on latest app and firmware.

All this has me wondering if I should sell my kit which I am into for over 2,400 dollars. I was just starting to get close to feeling comfortable to do real estate work next summer. (The flying season in Seattle is quite limited). Would love any and all feedback.

Cheers,
Aaron

As bad as it sounds. But, I fly anywhere and everywhere. Im conscious when I'm flying though. I don't put anybody in danger. I flew at the FL keys in Key West and I had this guy come up to my while flying and told me theres an airport about 3 miles away and I shouldn't be flying so close. Even he was very curious of my Phantom and was asking questions. He said thats his dream toy and hopefully he will buy soon. I was less than 400 ft high and I understand the rules and regulations. I still got my shots. I've had police officers and all come up to me to ask about my Phantom. They were all interested and nobody has ever came up to me with a negative approach. I'm up in the air for around 20 minutes only unless I pop in another battery. That barely gives authority or security any time to react to complaints anyways. I land the bird as nice and calmly as possible just so I don't scare onlookers that I fly recklessly. I flown around buildings, mountains, yachts, boats, wave runners, parks, fireworks, cars, streets and anything else that interest me. I see no limits. If you are feeling unsure and already being harassed by your local police I would say sell it too. I can just see you having problems in your future with authority and things alike. The more I fly the more confident I get. The more risks I take. I educate a crowd of people that circle me every single time I lift off. I'm very well known around my county as the Drone Man. If my Phantom ever crashes it will not be my fault as I flown in very difficult places and came back just fine. It will be error on the birds part if something goes wrong. I just cant see myself without my Phantom and I know sooner or later it will crash because lets face it. It is just a flying computer and all electronics/computers have hiccups from time to time. The thing is its not like your computer on your desk where as if it freezes or lags its dropping 300 ft from the sky. I'm already aware of this possible incident and already thought of ways to come up with funds to buy another. If you don't think or feel the same way this hobby isn't for you.

Which park? And which city, Bellevue or Seattle (they are different cities with different ordinances).
Yes, I suppose you could take this sort of stance. Not sure what it gains you though. I can get a quick video without antagonizing the public or challenging authority.

If you mean a 20 year old part time kid working for Bellevue Parks as 'authority' as apposed to the police which ARE authority. It "gained me" not having to pack my stuff up... that is where we always fly. Not sure what one would think it 'wouldn't' gain me... "not having to find another place to fly?" So yes... it gained me a lot... and taught a kid to read the language on his own signs that's he's chosen JUST THAT ONE DAY to care about.... hmmm....

He also said, and this is funny, "...the main reason is that your rotors could cut up our turf". So I showed him what my soccer cleats do to the turf... I don't think he's every actually watched a soccer game. He doesn't seem to realize that we record many of the games there.

National Parks are a no fly zone across all 50 states. I do not know about state parks in Washington though. I will look into it. That is not to say you can't get away with it but you can not post pics or videos let alone sell them with a 333 exemption.
Hmmm I was just in Oregon and flew for two days at a National Park and the rangers never said anything, in fact they were watching in awe. I wasn't flying over people, buildings, or cars though.

Hmmm I was just in Oregon and flew for two days at a National Park and the rangers never said anything, in fact they were watching in awe. I wasn't flying over people, buildings, or cars though.
It is up to the Rangers discretion but you can get in trouble. One guy even got tazed surly causing his drone to crash. A big part of this ban is related to wildlife in the parks. Glad it went well for you but you can not count on it.

You were fortunate. This was at Crater Lake???

If you mean a 20 year old part time kid working for Bellevue Parks as 'authority' as apposed to the police which ARE authority. It "gained me" not having to pack my stuff up... that is where we always fly. Not sure what one would think it 'wouldn't' gain me... "not having to find another place to fly?" So yes... it gained me a lot... and taught a kid to read the language on his own signs that's he's chosen JUST THAT ONE DAY to care about.... hmmm....

He also said, and this is funny, "...the main reason is that your rotors could cut up our turf". So I showed him what my soccer cleats do to the turf... I don't think he's every actually watched a soccer game. He doesn't seem to realize that we record many of the games there.
Hmm, you still didn't say which park in which city...
But I see even your reply to me is antagonistic, so I think we can all see the type of personality at play here.

Good Luck flying in the city of SeattleBellevue...lol.

This is a wonderful community with great people in it! I have new hope that I will find great new locations to fly at, and am hoping to keep my P3 now. Here is one last shot taken from Magnuson Park overlooking lake Washington.

View attachment 30999
Is that a child I can see looking out from among the trees ;-/

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Hmm, you still didn't say which park in which city...
But I see even your reply to me is antagonistic, so I think we can all see the type of personality at play here.

Good Luck flying in the city of SeattleBellevue...lol.

No... I see where you are coming from so I don't want to dish out the park name... you could be the type that calls the park admin's to help them out.

Do you REALLY want to know the park's name that bad? It's not a park though, it's a soccer field... does that make it MORE dangerous in your eyes?

Interesting and I might say, "inevitable" thread. I live in a mostly rural area and stuff I have posted from my Phantom 3 has been appreciated and admired. However, the climate is rapidly changing from where it was when I started back in May. Incessant negative news about drones is poisoning the public and authorities are getting edgy as numbers proliferate. I knew going in this might be a one year investment. I've been shooting all the stock stuff I can for future use. Let's hope attitudes change, but right now paranoia is gaining a strong foothold.

--zigs

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron
Interesting and I might say, "inevitable" thread. I live in a mostly rural area and stuff I have posted from my Phantom 3 has been appreciated and admired. However, the climate is rapidly changing from where it was when I started back in May. Incessant negative news about drones is poisoning the public and authorities are getting edgy as numbers proliferate. I knew going in this might be a one year investment. I've been shooting all the stock stuff I can for future use. Let's hope attitudes change, but right now paranoia is gaining a strong foothold.

--zigs

I agree... even people in these threads are going wacko.

We'll be selling these for pennies on the dollar in a couple years no matter HOW respectful we are to others. I will tell my great grandchildren.... when I was a middle aged man... I could fly up into flight paths of planes!!! yep... even outside highrise buildings's windows... really! I could fly over thousands of people in a football stadium!".... Boy will times have changed.

I think anyone who has purchased a UAV or is thinking about getting one needs to realize that the investment could disappear or be trashed on the very next flight! If you own one and like flying then live for now, not what if. If your thinking about buying one, make sure the moneys not a big deal. I have phantoms with many miles and i've had some last only a week

No... I see where you are coming from so I don't want to dish out the park name... you could be the type that calls the park admin's to help them out.

Do you REALLY want to know the park's name that bad? It's not a park though, it's a soccer field... does that make it MORE dangerous in your eyes?
Me: "Hi soccer field rulers? Is that you? Are you in charge of soccer fields in the city of SeattleBellevue? Well, I have to inform you of a drone flyer who I saw admit on a forum that he flew over your field (audible gasps heard from other end of line).

Soccer Boss: "Oh My God! NOOOOOOO! When did this happen!? Who did this!??"

Me: Yes, I couldn't believe it either! I am not sure when it happened, pretty sure it was this summer though. And the guys name is Bryce. He owns a camera and a drone! Yes! He has Both!!!!

back to reality: insert my eye roll here.

I've never said what you did was endangering others. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Maybe you can go fly at 60 acres soccer park - it is also a designated flying field with several local clubs using it for flights - since you seem to enjoy flying over vast scapes of manicured grass...

Me: "Hi soccer field rulers? Is that you? Are you in charge of soccer fields in the city of SeattleBellevue? Well, I have to inform you of a drone flyer who I saw admit on a forum that he flew over your field (audible gasps heard from other end of line).

Soccer Boss: "Oh My God! NOOOOOOO! When did this happen!? Who did this!??"

Me: Yes, I couldn't believe it either! I am not sure when it happened, pretty sure it was this summer though. And the guys name is Bryce. He owns a camera and a drone! Yes! He has Both!!!!

back to reality: insert my eye roll here.

I've never said what you did was endangering others. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Maybe you can go fly at 60 acres soccer park - it is also a designated flying field with several local clubs using it for flights - since you seem to enjoy flying over vast scapes of manicured grass...

That does NOT sound like fun.... a "designated flying field".

That does NOT sound like fun.... a "designated flying field".
Designated flying field vs city park - they look pretty much the same from an aerial perspective.
You were whining because you couldn't fly in a city park, I offered you an equally boring alternative to fly over - both are an expanse of green manicured grass. What did I miss?

Why would someone drive an hour away to fly a quadcopter at a "designated" area?

And no... we CAN fly in a city park. You have that wrong.

I just got my p3a and I have to admit a lot of media is just putting their 2 cents into it and making matters worse. I won my drone and I love flying it but if it gets to the point where I can't freely fly it for photos without needing a license or some sort of insurance requirement I'm out. It's great for photos and fun to fly but I'm not sure if it's worth police harassment and fines.

Why would someone drive an hour away to fly a quadcopter at a "designated" area?

And no... we CAN fly in a city park. You have that wrong.
Seattle Municipal Code 18.12.265 says you can't.
And it sounds like you just want to fly where you've been told you can't, nothing more, nothing less. You feel your entitlement has been taken from you?

Seattle Municipal Code 18.12.265 says you can't.
And it sounds like you just want to fly where you've been told you can't, nothing more, nothing less. You feel your entitlement has been taken from you?

I don't live in Seattle... why the hell would I care about their codes? But I WILL drive there tonight and fly from Highland Dr. over to Prospect

Nothing has been taken... everything is fine. That usenet thing wasn't a joke... now I'm really curious why you care so much... about me. It's odd.

Last edited:
I don't live in Seattle... why the hell would I care about their codes?.

Because you posted this:
"Many of the signs I see aren't worded correctly. The last one said 'cannot launch from' so I just launched from the street (very legal) flew over and around the areas that I wanted and landed out on the street again. Nobody but the officials were in the park, they were calling the cops, but they wouldn't do anything because the sign said 'no launching' . They tried to say I couldn't fly over the park, but they had no legal grounds for that either... I asked them... How many feet... One guy said 20, other guy said 500.... Officer said I was not breaking any laws. This is Bellevue/Seattle"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing