BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Unfortunately I think you and I can agree - that it's the idiots out there who are doing really dumb and reckless things that are bringing the negative press to our hobby. I wish there were a way to just hammer the idiots into non existence.... but alas, there are idiots everywhere....
I think that you are buying into the hysteria. DJI, 3DR and others have sold more than a million drones of various models over the past few years and ONE gets away from the operator and lands on the White House lawn. This makes it a threat to national security, how?
So, there's been 764 sightings of drones by pilots of manned aircraft. Has anyone paid attention to the AMA analysis of those sightings? Only 3.5 percent had any notation of the manned aircraft needing to take evasive action. (To keep it in perspective, that's about 0.0026% of the estimated million drones sold over the past few years). Any contact or near contact would be a bad thing, but it is the overwhelming exception that the news media wants you to perceive that personal drones are an out of control threat to life.

Personal drones are just not the menace that the news and general public want them to be.

Reactions: shipdriver
Fox and News in the same sentence? LOL!!.
Okay, let's finally put this lie to rest. The left HATE Fox News because they provide the OTHER side of the story. Gone is the 60-year monopoly the liberals have had in the field of news reporting. Do you liberals think that so many many many millions of viewers are really that dumb?! No, they realize that to get the "complete" story, they HAVE to turn to Fox News!

Here, let's take just an average day for cable news. Fox literally DESTROYS the competition!

Cable news ratings for Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015

In every category!! By 3-1, sometimes 4-1!!

There, I've set the TRUTH right in front of your face here.............. yet you will still deny it! It's just killing you liberals! You can't stand it that you can no longer guide or set the narrative to your ideology, world-outlook and political leanings. Face it................. your propaganda machine has taken a HUGE hit in the cable news field!!

Fox News rules in the field of cable news because people are realizing just how ONE-SIDED the liberal news outlets are. The PROOF is right there in the numbers. In black and white.

Sorry, Mods, but this lie is thrown out here at least once every day! So there is a response to show it for the lie it is.

This article about the press conference:

Feds to require drone registration after close calls

kept mentioning a 5 mile radius around airports. I live a mile from an airport, but it is a tiny airport with nothing but Cessna's putt putting about. They mean 5 mile radius for large airports, right? I don't want to be prevented from flying in my own back yard.
No, the FAA means ALL airport facilities.

Here, let's take just an average day for cable news. Fox literally DESTROYS the competition!

So? NewsCorp owns most of the local news outlets, so just by their ownership, FOX news will generate higher viewerships. That says nothing about the bias of NewsCorp.

The feds are just waiting and hoping for more drone accidents so can point to them and regulate the hell out of this. There is a lot of money to be made and they'll piece meal this year after year with several steps. Here is what I think will happen.

1. Registration, test and licensing: Get everyone to register their drones via some government office. To get people to register them you'll get a drone license to show the cops if they see you flying it. The fine will have to cost so much its more than the cost of your drone plus your unlicensed drone will be siezed for evidence.

2. Insurance: After enough accidents or people slamming these into buildings and causing damage to people and property the next step is to have drone insurance. Then we'll have to buy full coverage or so much liability to fly even if you fly over sand in the middle of nowhere.

3. Drone tracking: After a few more generations of these drones and once the first round of laws drop it will get more complicated. The control freaks at the DHS will want transponders in these toys to broadcast their ID so the gov can instantly ID who owns any drone in the sky that is reported. Not only that the FBI types will want kill switches and a method to over ride the drones controls. This will be some type of arguement against what if somebody was flying towards the superbowl and they need to take control immediately?

4. Flight Logs: Eventually I think the yearly renewal of a drone license will be a check of your flight logs. They'll want to make sure you have you imcreminate yourself if you ever flew over 500 foot somewhere or near some government property you they don't want you around.

I think most of us already registered our drones with DJI using the APP for the 1 year warrranty. I'll bet DJI sends that customer list every month to the NSA just like AT&T gives them all their phone records every month for about 20 years now. I Control freaks can't allow this much freedumb into the hands of the 99%.

Ironically about the only hope it seems is arming these drones. If you put a gun on anything the gov leaves it alone.

Reactions: gfredrone
If they wanted to I'm sure they could triangulate your signal in extreme cases, like say a UAV delivering contraband to a prison.
Lol, You've been watching too many spy movies.
1. With a flight time of less than 20 minutes I don't see they'd have time, they need to get someone there as well as find your position remember.
2. I don't think anyone would give a poop for something as trivial as some contraband into a jail.

Okay, let's finally put this lie to rest. The left HATE Fox News because they provide the OTHER side of the story. Gone is the 60-year monopoly the liberals have had in the field of news reporting. Do you liberals think that so many many many millions of viewers are really that dumb?! No, they realize that to get the "complete" story, they HAVE to turn to Fox News!

There, I've set the TRUTH right in front of your face here.............. yet you will still deny it! It's just killing you liberals! You can't stand it that you can no longer guide or set the narrative to your ideology, world-outlook and political leanings. Face it................. your propaganda machine has taken a HUGE hit in the cable news field!!

Fox News rules in the field of cable news because people are realizing just how ONE-SIDED the liberal news outlets are. The PROOF is right there in the numbers. In black and white.

Sorry, Mods, but this lie is thrown out here at least once every day! So there is a response to show it for the lie it is.
Is this sarcasm? I sure hope so. Sure, with all the boomers watching they have great ratings. Doesn't make all of their stories true, or any of the other news outlets true either. The media in the US is highly regulated as to what is shown. http://www.mintpressnews.com/pants-...-60-of-fox-news-facts-are-really-lies/205563/

Reactions: NorthwestDrone
Plenty of unregistered cars and unlicensed drivers out there.
Sure doesn't stop them from driving and getting into accidents.
Neither will drone registration.:cool:
The unlicensed drivers driving unregistered cars and getting into accidents also don't have insurance or any money, and arresting them and impounding their cars without an accident ocurring first takes all night and requires lots of paperwork, so the cops don't even pull them over! They have better things to do!:rolleyes:
Why should drone registration do anything to help?

So you're saying the bad people don't register and the good ones do. Ipso facto, one could deduce registration makes people more responsible.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Lol, You've been watching too many spy movies.
1. With a flight time of less than 20 minutes I don't see they'd have time, they need to get someone there as well as find your position remember.
2. I don't think anyone would give a poop for something as trivial as some contraband into a jail.
It can be done, and I said IF they want to. It obviously wouldn't be used for everyday occurrences, that would be impractical.
Don't be so naive about what technologies the government has, besides, triangulation has been around for many years.

No, the FAA means ALL airport facilities.

But that would be my entire town. DJI's "FlySafe" map seems to indicate my airport has a 1km radius around it. I think they used to call it a "Class B" airport? My new Phantom arrives tomorrow... I hope I'm not going to discover it won't turn on in my back yard. Seriously... if an airplane is flying less than 400 feet over my house, they have bigger problems as they're going to fly into the side of a mountain.

The feds are just waiting and hoping for more drone accidents so can point to them and regulate the hell out of this. There is a lot of money to be made and they'll piece meal this year after year with several steps. Here is what I think will happen.

1. Registration, test and licensing: Get everyone to register their drones via some government office. To get people to register them you'll get a drone license to show the cops if they see you flying it. The fine will have to cost so much its more than the cost of your drone plus your unlicensed drone will be siezed for evidence.

2. Insurance: After enough accidents or people slamming these into buildings and causing damage to people and property the next step is to have drone insurance. Then we'll have to buy full coverage or so much liability to fly even if you fly over sand in the middle of nowhere.

3. Drone tracking: After a few more generations of these drones and once the first round of laws drop it will get more complicated. The control freaks at the DHS will want transponders in these toys to broadcast their ID so the gov can instantly ID who owns any drone in the sky that is reported. Not only that the FBI types will want kill switches and a method to over ride the drones controls. This will be some type of arguement against what if somebody was flying towards the superbowl and they need to take control immediately?

4. Flight Logs: Eventually I think the yearly renewal of a drone license will be a check of your flight logs. They'll want to make sure you have you imcreminate yourself if you ever flew over 500 foot somewhere or near some government property you they don't want you around.

I think most of us already registered our drones with DJI using the APP for the 1 year warrranty. I'll bet DJI sends that customer list every month to the NSA just like AT&T gives them all their phone records every month for about 20 years now. I Control freaks can't allow this much freedumb into the hands of the 99%.

Ironically about the only hope it seems is arming these drones. If you put a gun on anything the gov leaves it alone.
A news reporter asked about guns on drones and he said you cannot drop anything from us airspace

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

But that would be my entire town. DJI's "FlySafe" map seems to indicate my airport has a 1km radius around it. I think they used to call it a "Class B" airport? My new Phantom arrives tomorrow... I hope I'm not going to discover it won't turn on in my back yard. Seriously... if an airplane is flying less than 400 feet over my house, they have bigger problems as they're going to fly into the side of a mountain.
At this point in time notification to the tower is all that is necessary, not permission, but notification.

At this point in time notification to the tower is all that is necessary, not permission, but notification.

There's no tower to notify... incoming planes at my airport radio direct to each other to coordinate.

Here is a similar article with a few more details...

Regulators are expected to require registration for the most popular recreational drones—four-rotor copters called Phantoms made by China’s SZ DJI Technology Co. that sell for roughly $1,000—and similar models. Members said regulators might be willing to exclude smaller devices, such as the 2-ounce, $100 MiniDrones sold by French manufacturer Parrot SA.

Hmm... So all I'd have to do is switch over from DJI products to 3DR products and I could avoid this whole mess? :)

I was thinking about doing that anyway in the future, since it doesn't look like 3DR puts the same restrictions that DJI does into their products (I'm talking about FlySafe, of course). Or did 3DR start adding junk like this too, and I just missed it?

It's not like I really want to fly near airports or in areas that would otherwise create danger - it's just that I'd prefer to be able to do the research myself and determine how (or if) I'm going to fly somewhere. After all, users should ultimately be the ones who have the final say as to whether they're going to fly safely or fly in compliance with all prevailing laws. (Though I can see some good arguments against letting immature and otherwise non-intelligent users make these types of determinations themselves.)

There's no tower to notify... incoming planes at my airport radio direct to each other to coordinate.
Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

I would suggest contacting the airport and talk to them about it.

So? NewsCorp owns most of the local news outlets, so just by their ownership, FOX news will generate higher viewerships. That says nothing about the bias of NewsCorp.

Honestly, Fox News is one of the sources I listen to routinely - mainly because they provide an alternate perspective on the news in some instances. I'll be honest here - I'm a conservative, and I'd rather listen to the news with a bit of a conservative spin than with what seems like an overwhelmingly liberal bias that most of the other news stations provide. It's just simply less infuriating that way. ;) :) LOL

But I will admit that any time I want to get a news story with a bit less spin and more emphasis on the facts I'll generally turn to something like the BBC.

You find the airport manager and call his office every time you fly. Eventually he will tire of taking your calls and probably offer to write a COA giving you permission to fly within certain parameters without having to notify the airport of every flight.

Note that the law says "notify", not obtain permission.

PUBLIC LAW 112–95 pertaining to model aircraft
SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a)(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

I was mainly referring to a UAV that falls from the sky into a person or does damage to property
And, how often does this happen?
As hyper-sensitive as the general public and the news organizations are to personal drone news, even a broken window in a florida home was national news. A $150 of property damage by a personal drone made the news?
When a drone falls from the sky it is a major breaking news alert - even if no one is even slightly injured.
So, how often does this happen?

How do deaf pilots communicate at your airport?? :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94