BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Plenty of unregistered cars and unlicensed drivers out there.
Sure doesn't stop them from driving and getting into accidents.
Neither will drone registration.:cool:
The unlicensed drivers driving unregistered cars and getting into accidents also don't have insurance or any money, and arresting them and impounding their cars without an accident ocurring first takes all night and requires lots of paperwork, so the cops don't even pull them over! They have better things to do!:rolleyes:
Why should drone registration do anything to help?
As someone who used to manage an impound lot and tow for the police, I can tell you the towing end of it is quick. We had a 15 minute response time limit for the officers. There is some paperwork but driving an unregistered vehicle in NY is not an arrest-able offense. It is a fine and tow fees to get it back once you get it straight with DMV.

*Also... Things are getting a bit volatile in here again... please tone it down.
Constructive discussion is welcome, bickering, naming other members with disdain, etc. are all not welcome here.
This is an important topic, I would hate to close this thread because people can't act civilized and treat each other with respect.

Hang on everyone! It's gonna be a bumpy ride!
trainwreck-o.gif

drudge_flashing_light_2.gif

U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

The federal government will announce a new plan requiring anyone buying a drone to register the device with the U.S. Department of Transportation, NBC news has learned.

The government has been concerned about the rise in close calls between unmanned drones and aircraft flying into and out of some of the nation's biggest airports. The plan is expected to be announced within days.

Under the plan, the government would work with the drone industry to set up a structure for registering the drones, and the regulations could be in place by Christmas.

biggovernment.jpg

UPDATE:

U.S. regulators plan to require recreational drone owners to register their devices, an ambitious bid to rein in reckless users that faces a tight timeline and a thicket of legal and practical questions.

The Transportation Department plans to announce Monday that it wants to soon require registration for all unmanned aircraft “except for toys and those with minimal safety risk,” according to a draft news release reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The department plans to create a task force of more than two dozen government and industry representatives to recommend the specifics of a registration policy, including which drones should be included, how users will register and whether the rules will apply to drones already sold, according to people familiar with the plans. The draft news release says the department wants to “create a culture of accountability” for drone operators.

Several people said the government aims to issue final registration rules before Christmas, an exceptionally fast timeline for aviation regulations. Typical aviation rulemakings take years.

The Transportation Department said it planned to make a drone-related announcement Monday but declined further comment.

Regulators and lawmakers have struggled to keep up with the proliferation of drones as new technology has made them smaller, cheaper and easier to fly, increasing concern that the devices pose a threat to people in the air and on the ground. Industry executives estimate hundreds of thousands of drones have been sold in the U.S.

Registration would be one of regulators’ most ambitious steps to crack down on unsafe flights and enforce existing rules, including that drones can’t be flown near airports or beyond the sight of an operator.

Defining which drones would require registration is expected to be a key issue for the task force, several committee members said. Commercial drones are to be regulated by separate rules expected to be completed next year.

Regulators are expected to require registration for the most popular recreational drones—four-rotor copters called Phantoms made by China’s SZ DJI Technology Co. that sell for roughly $1,000—and similar models. Members said regulators might be willing to exclude smaller devices, such as the 2-ounce, $100 MiniDrones sold by French manufacturer Parrot SA.

Several drone-industry executives and former government officials expressed skepticism that regulators would be able to meet the year-end goal. One person familiar with the government’s plans said the agency intends to declare the rule an emergency, allowing regulators to short-circuit a process that normally requires monthslong reviews and public-comment periods.

Completing an aviation rule in three months would be “unprecedented,” said Jim Williams, who retired in June as the top drone official at the Federal Aviation Administration and is now a consultant for the law firm Dentons. “It would be the most amazing feat of governance I’ve seen in my 33 years in the federal government.”

People associated with the industry raised a host of other logistical questions: Will drone sellers be required to collect customer information? How will the policy account for homemade drones? Can the FAA simplify and streamline a registration process that for manned aircraft typically takes about three months?

The expedited timeline worries many, including those who support registration to help educate users about airspace rules.

“It’s a step in the right direction,” said Gretchen West, an adviser at law firm Hogan Lovells LLP. But the government’s timeline “makes me nervous what the outcome will be.”

Others noted that the commercial-drone rules have been in the works since 2005. “After 10 years of rule making, we suddenly have this scramble to do something within a month, which is terribly short under any circumstances,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI’s head of policy.

Mr. Williams, the former FAA official, and others also questioned how regulators plan to deal with a 2012 law that generally prohibits the FAA from regulating recreational drones. FAA officials have cited that law as the reason they don’t plan extensive regulations for recreational drones, similar to those for commercial devices.

“This is a serious open question,” said task-force member Greg McNeal, a Pepperdine University law professor and co-founder of AirMap, an airspace-information app for drone users.

The person familiar with the government’s plans said that federal lawyers are expected to argue that drones are legally aircraft, and thus the FAA can require them to be registered under other laws.
Wonder how this will affect those of us that have already completed the FAA process or those of us in the middle - I already have an N# and awaiting 333 exemption.

Wonder how this will affect those of us that have already completed the FAA process or those of us in the middle - I already have an N# and awaiting 333 exemption.
Commercial users are already in the system so it probably won't be as big a deal. Time will tell.

Commercial users are already in the system so it probably won't be as big a deal. Time will tell.
The only thing I don't and won't have is the sports pilot license - I'll just use the P3 for fun and not commercially - all I want to do is photograph steep roofs - I do home inspections - and the return from investing thousands to get a pilots certificate can't be justified - FAA needs to drop that requirement - I don't mind taking a test for a few 100 bucks - (by the way the registration story was just on FOX news)

The only thing I don't and won't have is the sports pilot license - I'll just use the P3 for fun and not commercially - all I want to do is photograph steep roofs - I do home inspections - and the return from investing thousands to get a pilots certificate can't be justified - FAA needs to drop that requirement - I don't mind taking a test for a few 100 bucks - (by the way the registration story was just on FOX news)

Was that registration story on FOX news done by Bill O'Reilly??

Why are people so afraid of registration? We register a LOT of things... cars, water craft, trailers, guns etc. etc. etc. Do you register any of those things? Does that make you a sheep?

As far as I am concerned, I fly responsibly - so make me register if you want to... you are not going to find my Phantom sucked into the engine of a Jet or breaking through the windshield of a jet - because I don't fly irresponsibly.

How are they going to enforce it? Easy... if you are doing something illegal, and they catch you... they will ask for your registration - and if you don't have it - you'll get a fine. Good lord... the worst it will get is like having a fishing license.

I'm interested to see how they plan to do this by Christmas - but I don't fear it... if this is the worst thing that happens to the industry... we are in pretty good shape.

I'm not sure what it's like in your Marxists country but... but.. Ah crap, this guys makes complete sense... I got nothing :p

Last edited:
Nope, this morning - on regular broadcast fox news channel - and they make it sound like there are drones everywhere buzzing around planes trains and automobiles - oh my!!!

Well that's what FOX news is good BS by the buckets full.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
But I thought if you register it, it leads to confiscation? Now it leads to "keepsies?"
I'm confused now.
I went on to explain it in my next post.
*MOD EDIT: This is the type of unneeded post we don't want here. I really want this to stay open but it appears that a few of you will ruin it for the rest... has a familiar ring to it doesn't it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: gfredrone
So please explain to me how this will stop anyone from using their drone improperly? Are they going to require transponders on the drone? If not, how will they know what drone flew too close to an airport? They can't trace it unless they have a crashed drone to match the registered serial number. You can't put call letters on the side, big enough to be read. This is another feel good measure like the TSA and a way to charge people more money for more gov't jobs.

Time to order up some "Pre-ban" high capacity, evil quad copters.

Aren't the serial numbers for these Phantoms inside the shell? I don't recall seeing one on the outside, but I'm not able to look at mine right now.

Otherwise, how will the FAA keep the drone registered to one individual if not by the S/N? And DJI has said removing the top shell negates the warranty, or so I thought.

I'm not terribly upset over this registration thing because really, there won't be a way around it. I don't think guns should be registered and I also think a government taxed marriage license is pure BS. However, I'm a realist and understand this is going to happen no matter what I think.

Why are people so afraid of registration? We register a LOT of things... cars, water craft, trailers, guns etc. etc. etc. Do you register any of those things? Does that make you a sheep?

As far as I am concerned, I fly responsibly - so make me register if you want to... you are not going to find my Phantom sucked into the engine of a Jet or breaking through the windshield of a jet - because I don't fly irresponsibly.

How are they going to enforce it? Easy... if you are doing something illegal, and they catch you... they will ask for your registration - and if you don't have it - you'll get a fine. Good lord... the worst it will get is like having a fishing license.

I'm interested to see how they plan to do this by Christmas - but I don't fear it... if this is the worst thing that happens to the industry... we are in pretty good shape.

I'm not sure where you live, but I've lived in a few states in midwest and eastern US and have never had to register a gun. It's probably a matter of different perspectives, but I view such requirements as a gross violation of privacy and a potential safety threat as well - and wouldn't consider obeying such a law if one were to go into effect where I live (or if I moved into such a jurisdiction).

If you ask me, drone registration is a faux-solution in search of a legitimate problem to address. I'm not aware of a single airplane that has crashed or a single plane full of passengers that have died as a result of somebody operating a drone. Instead of searching for maybe-someday problems to address, our government should be searching for ways to more effectively spend our money. This just tells me that the DOT, FAA, and other such organizations are grossly over-funded and over-staffed, and desperately need to be put through a reduction in force exercise.

I, for one, see a whole slew of issues with drone registration - and am steadfastly opposed to it. This creates a whole bureaucracy and wastes millions more taxpayer dollars. At its most benign, this forced registration scheme unnecessarily invades privacy - and at worst, invades personal liberties. At present I'm not entirely sure that I have any plans to comply.

This creates a whole slew of questions and potential problems as well. How do they intend to ensure compliance? Do they intend to force hobby shops to carry an undue burden of registering the drone at the point of sale? If so, how do they intend to deal with people who walk in to a hobby and pay all cash for the equipment, then register with a false name and address? Or will they place a further burden and invasion of privacy by requiring an identification to be validated as well? Will they require some sort of operators license or certificate to purchase? If so, how do they intend to combat people who just use a counterfeit certificate? (I'd be willing to bet that a number of hobbyists would consider the old "Photoshop it" approach if getting the certificate required a significant investment of time or money.)

How do they intend to deal with person-to-person purchases through eBay, CraigsList, and the like? If I decide to sell a drone to somebody on one of those sources (or similar), I'm sure as heck not going to do the government's job and register the sale. Heck, there are plenty of things that are significantly more "dangerous" today (like firearms) that go through private transactions with no requirement to report the sale to any government agency.

Perhaps this will help increase drone sales from shops in Canada or overseas? If US residents are forced to register domestic purchases, I can see some (myself included) who would turn to international purchases. It would be worth it to pay the extra shipping and transaction charges to avoid undue government interference and oversight. Heck, this might even give rise to some sort of "black market" domestically for unregistered drones.

At the end of the day, this requirement is silly and makes us not one single iota safer as a society. As such it is a bad policy that will hopefully be attacked in the courts and declared invalid soon thereafter.

Postcard registration? Give them the number and that's it... fine. Registration charges? Annual renewal? I'm not fine with. Transferring registration better be easy and free too, but again, to what end? What does registering the serial number do? What problem does that fix? NONE!

Reactions: Phoenix Outdoors
I'm not sure where you live, but I've lived in a few states in midwest and eastern US and have never had to register a gun. It's probably a matter of different perspectives, but I view such requirements as a gross violation of privacy and a potential safety threat as well - and wouldn't consider obeying such a law if one were to go into effect where I live (or if I moved into such a jurisdiction).

If you ask me, drone registration is a faux-solution in search of a legitimate problem to address. I'm not aware of a single airplane that has crashed or a single plane full of passengers that have died as a result of somebody operating a drone. Instead of searching for maybe-someday problems to address, our government should be searching for ways to more effectively spend our money. This just tells me that the DOT, FAA, and other such organizations are grossly over-funded and over-staffed, and desperately need to be put through a reduction in force exercise.

I, for one, see a whole slew of issues with drone registration - and am steadfastly opposed to it. This creates a whole bureaucracy and wastes millions more taxpayer dollars. At its most benign, this forced registration scheme unnecessarily invades privacy - and at worst, invades personal liberties. At present I'm not entirely sure that I have any plans to comply.

This creates a whole slew of questions and potential problems as well. How do they intend to ensure compliance? Do they intend to force hobby shops to carry an undue burden of registering the drone at the point of sale? If so, how do they intend to deal with people who walk in to a hobby and pay all cash for the equipment, then register with a false name and address? Or will they place a further burden and invasion of privacy by requiring an identification to be validated as well? Will they require some sort of operators license or certificate to purchase? If so, how do they intend to combat people who just use a counterfeit certificate? (I'd be willing to bet that a number of hobbyists would consider the old "Photoshop it" approach if getting the certificate required a significant investment of time or money.)

How do they intend to deal with person-to-person purchases through eBay, CraigsList, and the like? If I decide to sell a drone to somebody on one of those sources (or similar), I'm sure as heck not going to do the government's job and register the sale. Heck, there are plenty of things that are significantly more "dangerous" today (like firearms) that go through private transactions with no requirement to report the sale to any government agency.

Perhaps this will help increase drone sales from shops in Canada or overseas? If US residents are forced to register domestic purchases, I can see some (myself included) who would turn to international purchases. It would be worth it to pay the extra shipping and transaction charges to avoid undue government interference and oversight. Heck, this might even give rise to some sort of "black market" domestically for unregistered drones.

At the end of the day, this requirement is silly and makes us not one single iota safer as a society. As such it is a bad policy that will hopefully be attacked in the courts and declared invalid soon thereafter.
Amen! I personally do not need government involvement in every aspect of my life.

Before I say this, please understand I'm on your side and love what you've written here.

However, IMO, even though we don't have to "register" a gun by S/N with the government in most States, if you purchase one that requires a background check like from a gun store, that S/N is recorded. Otherwise, when a stolen gun is recovered, the police wouldn't know who to return it to.

Before I say this, please understand I'm on your side and love what you've written here.

However, IMO, even though we don't have to "register" a gun by S/N with the government in most States, if you purchase one that requires a background check like from a gun store, that S/N is recorded. Otherwise, when a stolen gun is recovered, the police wouldn't know who to return it to.

Any firearm transferred via FFL is logged, not registered. There is a difference. Logged locally at the store, not with some gov't entity in Washington.

Gun stores are only required to keep those records for so long.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18