Brand New Phantom 4 problems

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Well just got my Phantom 4 and today tried connecting to the DJI Assistant 2.0 on windows 8.1,
I watched the videos for upgrading the firmware but for some reason it will not connect to the P4, I tried it several times with no luck, so I tried to connect to the Go4 app on my android phone and it just says disconnected. I own a P3 advanced so I'm somewhat knowledgeable with the process, I'm wondering if having the DJI Go app for Phantoms before P4 and the DJI Go4 for the P4 can't be on the same device? when it tries to connect it's opening the app for my P3 Adv. instead of the P4? If you guy's think I might have a defective P4 I'm sure I can send it back to the store for a replacement. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks SteveP55

As to Assistant 2 and Windows 8.1 what does Device Manager in Windows show as to when you plug it in? Does DM update its screen to show a USB connection to the P4 or Unknown Device? You can right-click and try and do an update to DM to see if it will hook up, and then try Assistant 2.

As to the Android, good luck with GO 4. I have nothing but issues with trying to connect to the P4 with my two Samsungs. Last night I tried again various ways with the phone and it always went to the charging mode from the RC to the phone. I even turned on the battery-charging Mophie back on the phone along with the RC plugged in thinking the RC might not see the need for charging and flip to USB data, but no luck with that idea either. I left it alone for a long time and finally some screen popped up on the phone asking if "I wanted to use DJI GO to always connect to the device?" I checked the "Yes" box and it connected and the camera view finally appeared on the GO 4 screen. Why it took 10-20 minutes before it got an idea to connect is beyond me. It just sat there for a long time as I was looking elsewhere on a computer as to why the charging was always active and not the data. It became stubborn again in connecting later on after I shut it all off and turned it all back on, but it did connect sooner.

Video feed breakup was minimal for a while and then it began to break up badly the longer it was active. I went into the HD part of GO 4 and set it manually to channel 20 which seemed more green than the others and it helped a lot, as did lowering the trans. speed to 4 mbps. Being fine initially and then breaking up was probably GO 4 making the processor hot and also Android telling it to slow down to cool off, and that is telling the video will soon break apart too. Fwiw, GO 3 seemed to have less issues than GO 4 for me too. I took both off and re-installed only Go 4 too.

If you want less headache, get an iPad Air 2 or better yet an iPad Pro 9.7" for more processing power. They always connect a lot easier for me.

Hi GMack,
When I connect to the computer I get a message from windows that says error on drive which is the micro SD card, It sees it like it's a SD storage device, Weird, I did get connected to my Samsung J7 through the GO4 app and did firmware update and did all the batteries also.
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and it took me a while to get the handle on that one also, mostly just learning how everything worked, now I have had at least 15 successful flights and some nice video. I appreciate all your input on this thing, I will check out the device Manager to see what it's seeing it as and try to make a change on that. Sounds like you've had your share of problems.
I'll make an up date on this subject if I make any progress, DJI sure won't have the answer or by the time I do get one I will have already figured it out LOL, Thanks Man
SteveP55

Assistant 2 loaded on the iPad ok but wont sign in. Won't download on to Macbook Air! How to update firmware without Assistant? Thanks guys!!

Hi Luv2Fly99,
I had a similar problem with the Assistant 2 on my PC, just would not connect to the P4, so I connected to my Android phone and made sure
my wifi was connected and it updated the firmware perfectly, I am still awaiting a response from DJI... I guess that's been a few days ago now and still Nothing.
Maybe someone else on here might have a better idea for you, but this worked for me.
Good Luck and Have Fun
SteveP55

Thanks Steve - guess its a Mac-thing? DJI are slow it seems to jump in and help? With the amount of money we all spend with them they could have a few geeks on hand to assist with this stuff???

Hea Luv2Fly99,
I hear THAT ! I own a new P3 Advanced also, thank God these guy's on here are so helpful, I have got help here for both my Phantoms
very knowledgeable guy's. If this works connecting it to your phone or ipad to connect to the drone and it up dates your firmware be sure to let me know and the others so we can know that it worked for you.
FLY FLY FLY AWAY !
SteveP55

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan