Brand New Member with a few questions...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brand new member here. I ordered a P3P and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon (wooohooo!). I am excited but also totally aware of the fact that I am brand new to this. I have zero intentions of ripping this thing out of the box and launching...

I have read a lot. I have watched a lot. I have re-read, and I have re-watched. I feel confident that I can get this thing out of the box and in the air, but I like to master things and intend to with this!

I do want my video to look as good as possible. I have a LOT of experience with still imagery / workflow and management. However I have virtually zero experience with handling video, especially editing. I have seen some videos showing footage taken straight out of the camera, and then with an edit applied, and it is night and day better.

My question is, what platform should I be looking at for video editing? How can I make the video look rich, or perform any color edits to the video? How about headings, subtitles, and music?

I have a LOT to learn and hope you can help.

Thank you!!

Reactions: 750r
Welcome to the forum .
Take it slow learn to fly first stay low and close . You have a lot of cool features with that bird . As far as shooting vids you will have to play with it we seem to all have different thoughts on that I use a GP 1080/60 & 4k/30 . Editing takes time maybe say what type of machine your running I use FCPX . Some here do this for a living most seem to use Adobe premiere $$$$ .
Take your time be safe have fun we have a lot of great info and people here .
Familiarize Yourself with the FAA's suggested rules we do not want to read/hear about you in the news :D

Thank you for your response 750. I won't be taking video for a living but I want to be proficient with it, not get frustrated by it.
Aside from the P3P, I have a MacBook Pro that's a few years old, connected to a Thunderbolt display. Certainly not a pro rig for editing video, but, I'm not a pro...just a novice looking to get better results.

I understand the power of post process and how much than can change the final product, that's what I'm after!

I'm sort of in the same boat, video-wise. I'm a sports photographer, but have a P2 with a GoPro Hero 4 Black. Torn between shooting 1080p/60 or 4k, I do have a semi-beefy Windows system, and lucky for me I am able to get Premiere Pro through my work. I want to shoot 4k, but not sure because not many people can actually use 4k yet.

As an example, I'm taking my GoPro with me to shoot NASCAR this weekend in New Hampshire. I will be shooting stills, but taking the GoPro with me, and even bought a hand-held gimbal because I want to shoot a lot of video. But STILL aren't sure if I should go 4k or stick with 1080p.

Sorry if this side-tracks the OP, but looking to apply this to my quad as well...

If your new and want to edit with almost no out of pocket expense with a Windows operating system try Windows Live Movie Maker. Free from Microsoft. Go to you tube and check on the video Windows movie maker tutor. On the Mac it iMovie.

Best thing about the built in camera system is the ability to stop and start videos, taking lots of short ones rather than one long one that needs lots of editing. I usually just retake the shot if it's not perfect rather than edit later.

My best advice is to shoot short clips since most people lose interest within 30 seconds unless it's really compelling video.

Reactions: JBJO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl