Bought new props but they feel weird.

Reaction score
I ordered new props because my old ones looks worn and dirty.
I bought these here

Amazon.com : DJI Genuine DJI Phantom 3 9450 Props Part #09 Self-Tightening Propeller 9" All Composite For Professional and Advanced, 2 Pairs : Camera & Photo

They look official but they are definitely different. They are thinner and feel almost cheap, flimsy. the threads on them also don't tighten like the original ones, they just tighten down and thats it, you can't give them a 1/4 turn more to tighten, once it bottoms out when tightening them it just stops and you can turn it more at all.

I flew it and it seemed fine, performed just fine, but just wondering if these are indeed official, they look official and stated all over them that it came from DJI.

BTW i'm now reading the reviews, many say they are cheap knock offs and some even posted a picture of them being delivered in some cheap packaging, mine was not like that mine looked like this

props_zpsivxe5ujs.jpg

but the hubs are metal as some reviewers said, NOT plastic.

....but the hubs are metal as some reviewers said, NOT plastic.
In that case I'm pretty certain they're not genuine... all my genuine props have nylon threads. Do they have the raised DJI logo on one blade at widest part and 9450xx on the opposite blade?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
BTW i'm now reading the reviews, many say they are cheap knock offs and some even posted a picture of them being delivered in some cheap packaging, mine was not like that mine looked like this

props_zpsivxe5ujs.jpg

I was probably one of those reviewers... ;) They are metal-hubbed props for a P2, probably not genuine, which many retailers are still selling as 'suitable' for a P3...

Some say that there is a risk that you will have a catastrophic prop-spin-off using these props and I probably agree..... There's not enough friction on the hub threads, being metal on metal, to hold them in place if they slacken off even just a bit.

I use a workaround to fly these metal-hubbed props (I think safely) on my P3P. I won't repost it here - but contact me if you would like more information....

Reactions: Amigorick
It's not a good idea to use metal hubs on a P3. Plastic hubs were made for the P3 since they use the motors to help stop while in GPS mode.

If it were me, I would stop using the metal hubs immediately.

I was probably one of those reviewers... ;) They are metal-hubbed props for a P2, probably not genuine, which many retailers are still selling as 'suitable' for a P3...

Some say that there is a risk that you will have a catastrophic prop-spin-off using these props and I probably agree..... There's not enough friction on the hub threads, being metal on metal, to hold them in place if they slacken off even just a bit.

I use a workaround to fly these metal-hubbed props (I think safely) on my P3P. I won't repost it here - but contact me if you would like more information....
If you're using something to increase the friction between the base of the prop and the motor, I wouldn't risk it. I mean, why would you, for the sake of a £5 prop?

Reactions: Oso
If you're using something to increase the friction between the base of the prop and the motor, I wouldn't risk it. I mean, why would you, for the sake of a £5 prop?
As in some sort of pinch/spring washer? No - I agree - that's far too risky....

I use something which increases the friction along the whole length of the thread and (IMHO) it's even more secure than the composite hubs, also with no risk of stripping a composite thread.

I'm not being ridiculously secretive - but I also don't want to be accused of posting my idea on every metal-hub prop thread on this forum. If you do a search you'll find it easily enough.... :)

Why do I do it? Well, I feel that it's actually better and safer than the 'proper props' and hell... if it all goes t*ts-up, it's my own fault and anyway (luckily) I can afford the loss.... :):)

As in some sort of pinch/spring washer? No - I agree - that's far too risky....

I use something which increases the friction along the whole length of the thread and (IMHO) it's even more secure than the composite hubs, also with no risk of stripping a composite thread.

I'm not being ridiculously secretive - but I also don't want to be accused of posting my idea on every metal-hub prop thread on this forum. If you do a search you'll find it easily enough.... :)

Why do I do it? Well, I feel that it's actually better and safer than the 'proper props' and hell... if it all goes t*ts-up, it's my own fault and anyway (luckily) I can afford the loss.... :):)

Blu-Tac? ;)

Well good for you, Steve and fingers x it doesn't go Pete Tong on you mate!
Do the P2 / 3 props have the same profile / attack?

Well that sucks.. How aboutt he bestbuy props they sell? I'll just go over there after work.
Won't risk it over 10 bucks

Blu-Tac? ;)
Well good for you, Steve and fingers x it doesn't go Pete Tong on you mate!
Do the P2 / 3 props have the same profile / attack?
Apart from the Blu-tac bit of that, I'm afraid I understood not a word of the above.... You must be from Laaa-ndon?... :)

Yes, they are both 9450's..

Yeah - I'm quite happy to have assessed my method and will take the risk.... It's down to me only...

"40 years ago I couldn't even spell the word 'engineer' - Now I are one...."
:)

Apart from the Blu-tac bit of that, I'm afraid I understood not a word of the above.... You must be from Laaa-ndon?... :)

Yes, they are both 9450's..

Yeah - I'm quite happy to have assessed my method and will take the risk.... It's down to me only...

"40 years ago I couldn't even spell the word 'engineer' - Now I are one...."
:)
Hahaha! Yep, correct. It's All Gone "Pete Tong" = wrong! G'on, say next time in the office! I read your P2 Prop thread; nice solution there, Steve!

Hahaha! Yep, correct. It's All Gone "Pete Tong" = wrong! G'on, say next time in the office! I read your P2 Prop thread; nice solution there, Steve!
Ah - that's good that I'm not the only one, although I'm possibly the only one who will send his bird up that way.... I have confidence in my own judgement.

I'm originally from Cornwall but have lived abroad (as in a foreign country, not meaning England :)) for many years...

We have no Cornish rhyming slang - but some say we speak a bit funny and we love sheep and pasties. So there's no need for any Cornish jokes as I've probably heard them all before.:(

Ah - that's good that I'm not the only one, although I'm possibly the only one who will send his bird up that way.... I have confidence in my own judgement.

I'm originally from Cornwall but have lived abroad (as in a foreign country, not meaning England :)) for many years...

We have no Cornish rhyming slang - but some say we speak a bit funny and we love sheep and pasties. So there's no need for any Cornish jokes as I've probably heard them all before.:(
Nah, I like sheep and pasties too, Steve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen