Bottom line (IMO), the P4 price tag I'd just too high

I keep going back and forth on the matter. I'm in a unique position in that I purchased my P3P about 4 days ago from BB for $999 + a free extra battery. I'm still 10 days within the return period (assuming I don't crash before then) to be able to get a full refund to take it back and wait for the P4. Of course it would then pretty much come out to a $560 price jump due to the extra battery.... But that collision avoidance really seems tempting, especially since this is my first drone I've owned over $100.

The P3 was priced to kill the 3DR Solo, it did that. Albeit not on pricing alone there were other factors at play but I would argue pricing was the major reason it was successful killing the Solo. The P3 also decimated everyone else. All of them collectively aggressively reduced pricing after the P3 was released (Yuneec, Horizon Hobby, etc.).

The P4 is now priced to kill the Yuneec H. Hard to say if it will accomplish that. I believe the Typhoon H will release with a lower price now. I would not be surprised if it has the same price as the P4 at $1,399 when it's released, maybe $100 more to account for the 6 motors and some level of redundancy that comes with that. I think if the Typhoon H is more than $1,499 it'll go the way of the Solo bird.

DJi has shown they are very aggressive on price. At the moment with their lineup they are only competing with themselves (P3A vs P3P vs P4).
That's a good point. Smart of DJI, very smart, to fool everyone into thinking it was just lowered to the price point of the H which made people think they were getting some bang for their buck out of necessity and then BAM, not even but $1400 and the avoidance isn't modular (I don't think) but included at that price point. I have both dogs in the race so I want them both to be awesome.

The way I am able to get a free Typhoon and Tornado was presented to me for the Solo and I care so little about that POS, that I didn't even do it, and it didn't require much work on my part.

I keep going back and forth on the matter. I'm in a unique position in that I purchased my P3P about 4 days ago from BB for $999 + a free extra battery. I'm still 10 days within the return period (assuming I don't crash before then) to be able to get a full refund to take it back and wait for the P4. Of course it would then pretty much come out to a $560 price jump due to the extra battery.... But that collision avoidance really seems tempting, especially since this is my first drone I've owned over $100.
TAKE IT BACK TAKE IT BACK TAKE IT BACK.

If they will replace it, take it back. I PROMISE that you will kick yourself in the not too distant future. They WILL take it back if it's still not scratched but unfortunately, unless you're good, and speak to the store manager and complain that they didn't tell you that a new one was being released and get pathological and make them believe you are not happy about it and you will consider your larger purchases somewhere else if they don't return it for you for a full exchange. DON'T let them tell you you have to exchange it for the bigger item.

I bought one and didn't open it to get the battery and the case deal (I combined them) and got the battery, the P3P and the case for like $1100 and that brought me to like 6 batteries and that didn't even include the new batteries I had to sell. Trust me, I understand. But do yourself a favor and since you are in the position to do so, get what is new now because you will be upset about it sooner than you will continue to be happy that you have the P4. Trust me also, that we don't know everything that we love about it.

GO GET IT! Don't think about it.

Keep the P3P. Use the extra cash for more batteries if you have it to spend right away. I found 3 batteries for me is just about right.

I know it is like comparing apples to oranges but do you think Yuneec's new H will give DJI a run for there movie. I know it is more money but has a lot going for it. I think this will be a very interesting year for drones.

I know it is like comparing apples to oranges but do you think Yuneec's new H will give DJI a run for there movie. I know it is more money but has a lot going for it. I think this will be a very interesting year for drones.

Not at $1,799. The P3A and P3P are the only things that will give the P4 a run for its money, at least for now.

If DJi was smart they would have gone to $899, $1099, 1299, on their lineup (P3A, P3P, P4).

Last edited:
Reactions: QuadBart
I agree with everything you say, but if I were looking and I am not at this point I would have to consider the H. It has 6 motors so it has some redundancy in that department. I also has forward avoidance system and a 4K camera. I don't know but I would have to look at all the pro's and con's before I spend anything like that.

I agree with everything you say, but if I were looking and I am not at this point I would have to consider the H. It has 6 motors so it has some redundancy in that department. I also has forward avoidance system and a 4K camera. I don't know but I would have to look at all the pro's and con's before I spend anything like that.

I hear you. But if you were looking today there's a $400 difference. I believe the Typhoon H may come with two batteries though? I'm not sure on that but if it does then that $400 difference would be reduced to say a $250-$300 difference. Even then DJi's Lightbridge capability alone sets it apart from everyone else in the field, it truly is an amazing feature.

Reactions: QuadBart
I bought a P3S first then a P3A and I totally agree with you about Lightbridge. I guess it depends on what you are planning on doing with them. I like to fly far away but there is only so much you can do with that. I enjoy the video aspect of the hobby as well. It is great to have so many choices out there. It is fun to look thou, don't you think?

You folks in the USA got it good.
Us poor Aussies get it for $2400 without any goodies or support. An extra battery creeps in at almost $300

If you own a P2 - this is worth the jump. If you own a P3A/P, then its not worth it.
If you have never flown a drone, still buy a cheapie to practice on. The automation will dumb you down as a pilot.

I was thinking the same thing...I paid $1700 for my Advanced only a few weeks ago. I'd be thrilled if the P4 was only $1400 here.

I bought a P3S first then a P3A and I totally agree with you about Lightbridge. I guess it depends on what you are planning on doing with them. I like to fly far away but there is only so much you can do with that. I enjoy the video aspect of the hobby as well. It is great to have so many choices out there. It is fun to look thou, don't you think?

The P3A is the deal of the century right now at $799. I have one but I bought it at $999 last June. It has been 100% rock solid not a single problem.

I tell everyone that is interested in a camera platform drone to buy a P3A. It's just too good of a deal to pass up even if you plan on buying a pricier drone later on.

Reactions: Denver_Flight
The P3A is the deal of the century right now at $799. I have one but I bought it at $999 last June. It has been 100% rock solid not a single problem.

I tell everyone that is interested in a camera platform drone to buy a P3A. It's just too good of a deal to pass up even if you plan on buying a pricier drone later on.
Again I find myself agreeing with you. I have a P3A and if I had some extra money I would buy another for a spare, it is that good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl