Bottom line (IMO), the P4 price tag I'd just too high

Reaction score
The need to keep the phantom line hovering around $1k. They've made a mistake pricing it at $1400. They probably wanted to increase their margins (another page from the Apple playbook), but it will sadly turn out to be a mistake. Sales will not compare to the P3 line. The new enhancements don't justify a $400-500 increase considering the camera is the same.

The P4 sales will not be as strong. DJI will reduce its price within 6 months and will probably release a second model as well.

I don't know if it's a rumor but I heard the $1400 price tag is a limited time offer, and the price will be up to $1700.

I really don't know if there is any merit to it and I can't remember what forum I seen it posted...

I don't know if it's a rumor but I heard the $1400 price tag is a limited time offer, and the price will be up to $1700.

I really don't know if there is any merit to it and I can't remember what forum I seen it posted...

*everyone rushes to buy one

Reactions: Bigdz

If a P3P stays at under a grand then no one in their right mind would pay $1700 for a P4. Logic dictates prices will go down & not up.

I doubt its an introductory price. Doesn't make sense. Most of the posts on this forum already said 1700-1800 bucks is too high for what is being offered. They will lose sales from people either not buying it or switching/looking at the Typhoon H. They've done a great job with marketing regarding the pricepoint. 1400 is closer to 1k bucks which most people would spend that are into this hobby. 1500 people start thinking its closer to 2k so.. bravo DJI on their pricing...

Personally I think its a good price-point. If it was 1700 there would be no way I'd even be considering it But at 1400 bucks... Its something I'm considering for purchase later this year once they've gone through a few software/firmware revisions...

It's MSRP. Apple is soon going to have them in their b&m stores for that price as well.

Can you really justify $500 extra dollars for shinnier shell, 5 extra minutes of flight, somewhat front avoidance and some software updates?

I don't see how adding compass,IMU,two small cams and another vps justifies the price hike, parts cost wise. There's nothing ground breaking in any of the new technology, which is way so many users (and reviewers) are somewhat disappointed. The P3 had ground breaking technology in pretty much everything AND was cheaper than their previous model.

Last edited:
You are probably right --- DJI might be too dumb to understand that 75% of their sales are repeat customers looking to upgrade. Upgrading from Phantom 1 to Phantom 2 Vision+ was very compelling because of the camera and gimbal and flight times and so the price increase was justified. Upgrading from P2 Vision+ to P3 Pro was compelling because of integrated Lightbridge and 4K camera, but price remained the same so we bought them in droves.

However, I can't see most of us current P3P owners with good piloting skills finding the desire to pony up $1700 to get Active Tracking and Tap-to-Fly. These are noob features that most of us just don't need. Obstacle avoidance is nice but mostly unnecessary if you plan your flight carefully and set a proper RTH height in the app. I always spend an hour or two on Google Maps researching a new flying area for locations of cell towers and high-voltage power lines so I can make sure I dont fly into them.

I suppose if we could get decent selling prices for our P3P's on Craigs or Ebay then many of us would upgrade. However, I usually get about 20-30% of new retail price for electronic items I sell on Craigs and that is too dismal to even attempt for my P3P. :(

Reactions: gfredrone
You can order from apple and it has an arrival window of 03/11/2016 - 03/18/2016 for my area, maybe even sooner for major metropolitan areas.

Obstacle avoidance is nice but mostly unnecessary if you plan your flight carefully and set a proper RTH height in the app. I always spend an hour or two on Google Maps researching a new flying area for locations of cell towers and high-voltage power lines so I can make sure I dont fly into them.

Wow mostly unnecessary even if it would save you "an hour or two" on Google Maps? How little is your time worth...?

The new enhancements don't justify a $400-500 increase considering the camera is the same.

I'm thinking I would rather buy the P4 over the P3P and I think he upgrades are definetly worth it. Noob features or not, accidents do happen and things like FPV, GPS etc can fail and the more tools and sensors your drone has the safer it will be.

It's funny how almost everyone before the announcement was like "Yeah the P3P is way overpriced and nobody needs the features, get the P3A instead". All of a sudden P3P is the go to drone overnight... It seems as though DJI succeeded with getting a higher ASP (Average Selling Price) since now everyone will be spending 999 USD instead of 799 USD lol

Also there's a lot of things we don't yet know about the drone, like actual flight time and how good the camera is, if lightbridge has improved etc, it's too early to call...

Like the difference between P3P and P3A FPV downlink was something a lot of people cared about and didn't know until long after launch.

The P4 is only $140 more than the P3 was selling for until November of 2015.

I respectfully disagree. The P4 is only $140 more than the $1259 folks were gladly shelling out for a P3 Pro only four weeks ago. Since the P2 Vision these things have been selling like mad at the $1259 price point. I would expect the current "anniversary" pricing on the P3 models to become permanent so there is a wide range of models to choose from depending on your pocketbook & enthusiasm level.

The need to keep the phantom line hovering around $1k. They've made a mistake pricing it at $1400. They probably wanted to increase their margins (another page from the Apple playbook), but it will sadly turn out to be a mistake. Sales will not compare to the P3 line. The new enhancements don't justify a $400-500 increase considering the camera is the same.

The P4 sales will not be as strong. DJI will reduce its price within 6 months and will probably release a second model as well.

the upgrades are truly only for filmmakers and professionals. who don't care about a few hundred bucks. any upgrade in software is crucial. I've been flying my p3 for a year and love it. I also have no problem paying 1400 for a new one, that has more features and make allow me to get one more epic shot.

I also prefer to fly a newer drone with less likely hood of failure. (older motors etc are more likely to fail) I fly my drone about 5 days a week for 1-4 hours a day.

10 min more or battery or even 5 min more, also make a huge difference, when you are taking sunset shot, and you have a small window, its a huge pain to bring it down and put a new battery in it. even more so having to land it a few less times per shoot, will save you 15 min per shoot, every 4 shoots 1 hour, every 100 shoots you saved 30 hours etc.

ok im in love i can't wait for it to come, even worse, i already can't wait for the p5 to come out which will probably add sensors to the rear and top.

Reactions: Cale262
the upgrades are truly only for filmmakers and professionals. who don't care about a few hundred bucks.

Just have to bring this point up.... Ever since DJI launched the Phantom professional, people actual think it is for "professionals" when in fact it's a drone designed for hobbiest. I can't think of a single group of professionals who use a Phantom as part of the requirements of their occupation. The Phantom is not a professional civilian or military autonomous drone device, neither is it a high end photographic device or a device to transport payloads or an all weather flying device. It is what it is... a consumer hobby product for RC enthusiasts. The Inspire, with it's newly developed cameras is slowly becoming the goto drone for professional Photographers and Vidographers.

I'm a hobbyist photographer and also make tons of YouTube vids on many channels. The Phantom 3 fits my needs nicely. The Phantom 4 would be even better for my vid work with the tap to fly function, and I'd love to have one.

Reactions: N017RW
Just have to bring this point up.... Ever since DJI launched the Phantom professional, people actual think it is for "professionals" when in fact it's a drone designed for hobbiest. I can't think of a single group of professionals who use a Phantom as part of the requirements of their occupation. The Phantom is not a professional civilian or military autonomous drone device, neither is it a high end photographic device or a device to transport payloads or an all weather flying device. It is what it is... a consumer hobby product for RC enthusiasts. The Inspire, with it's newly developed cameras is slowly becoming the goto drone for professional Photographers and Vidographers.

I'm a hobbyist photographer and also make tons of YouTube vids on many channels. The Phantom 3 fits my needs nicely. The Phantom 4 would be even better for my vid work with the tap to fly function, and I'd love to have one.

Well I'm one example, I've filmed commercials which have aired nationally with the p3, and have contracts that request the p3. I have a inspire pro and have flown bigger rigs " so called professional", there are many situations where the p3 is better suited in professional environments... Especially when 1-3 jobs per day isnt too uncommon. I have the option to fly my inspire pro but usually opt for the p3 which can accomplish a similar safer, quicker shot as required by the client.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Cale262 and fly_it
Just pre ordered mine yesterday, and pretty excited. Would agree to other comments that you will end up spending the $1700 + anyways by purchasing Pelican case, extra batteries, ect. Here's what I have heard from a DJI dealer, " P3 will cost around or under $500 within the year. They are able to produce these quads under $100 and main goal is to kill the market for anyone else to compete.
Is the $1400 to high? Its anyones opinion on what they are willing to spend. If you have a P3 already you probably don't need the upgrade with the avoidance system.. I personally will benefit mostly from the extra 10min bat life. Selling point for me while mapping fields.
FWIW

Reactions: izzydrone
$1400 seems like a lot...but compared to some of other hobbies, it is way cheap. Heck...paid that much for a single lens back when I was into SLR cameras. I think I spent that much on a pair of Bose speakers way back when I was in college, or my first VHS camcorder....or the suspension upgrade on my dirt bike....or the GPS upgrade in my airplane., etc., etc., etc. Compared to what this thing allows you to do, $1,400 is really an incredible value. Assuming I can get an HDMI upgrade and LITCHI support in the very near future, I am all over it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can you really justify $500 extra dollars for shinnier shell, 5 extra minutes of flight, somewhat front avoidance and some software updates?

I wouldn't pay $1,400 to upgrade from my P3P, but if I didn't have my P3P already, I would be willing to pay out the extra $400 for the obstacle avoidance. I think that's probably $400 better spent than buying some insurance policy on a P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj