Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Blades

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Farmerd@n, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Farmerd@n

Mote
    Can you run the motors, with out the propellers on.?.To practice.

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes .. you can

3. Rumbaar

Um if you had watched the DJI videos, which you should now go watch, you'll see that prior to flight they advise you do this to test the motors and listen for any irregularities.

4. eaglegoaltender

Some people do it to discharge their batteries - I wouldn't for sure for that reason! My concern would be there is no load on the motors without the props and you could potentially damage the motors running them "light" for an extended time!

If you do just to test the motors for any irregularities or noise you may have heard - I wouldn't run them for too long due to increased temperatures and no props downward wind to help cool them. I haven't tried it and not sure I would want to (expect for any possible issues of concern) - doubtful there is enough torque to flip the quad, but as mentioned my biggest concern would be no load running that may create higher rpm and a potential to damage the motor core/windings if run for an extended period of time.

5. dixter

whats kinda funny about this question and the answers is that in the " old days " the motors were broken in before flight by sticking them into a glass of water while they were running...

6. alokbhargava

Yes that's the way Simulator is used. Practice to learn stick controls.

But the real practice is by flying it in safe place with no obstructions around. It's so easy to control and have fun.

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can run the motors with the props off, but I would only recommend you do this if you're testing something that requires the motors to be running for 60 seconds or less. You would not want to let them run for long periods of time on the ground since they will generate a lot of heat and were not really designed to be operated without props attached.

8. msinger

Approved Vendor

The motors should be off when running the simulator. I guess that's what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify.

9. tcope

Yes, but you will find that it does not fly nearly as well as when the props are on.

10. DiluxEdition

These aren't car engines or brushed motors. These are high efficiency low KV brushless outrunners, you can run these motors for hours and hours and they wont get hot unless they are defective.
    The only motors that shouldn't be run without airflow or heatsink are high KV motors, such as inrunners, which even without load build heat pretty fast.

Even worse would be to run them WITH props on the bench.

#10 DiluxEdition, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    N017RW likes this.