Blades

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
What are the best blades for the phantom 3 standard?

Unlike other types of aircraft our "Off the shelf" units don't usually benefit from "improved" props. The Flight Controller (FC) is tasked with making things happen in the aircraft and it's programmed to watch for and control every flight parameter within a very narrow range of variations.

If we were using no FC aircraft then we could see potential improvements from different designs etc but the FC will limit/govern the performance of the aircraft to stay within the programmed limits.

Also props are CHEAP and designed to be an early point of failure. If the prop strikes something and does NOT fail that energy is transferred deeper into the aircraft where things are HARDER to replace and considerably more expensive to replace. It's a lot easier to replace a broken prop than an upper shell because the motor arm snapped off (saving the $5 prop).

I stick with DJI props .... no problems then. Buy cheap non DJI products and you are asking for trouble especially with props.

I totally agree with Astrix... experience tells me to use nothing other than genuine DJI props. They are a bit more expensive than the cheap knock-offs but could end up saving you lots of money in the long run. I'm sure that it isn't a very good feeling as you watch your Phantom falling from the sky, all because you tried to save a few bucks on the props.

Plus, DJI has tuned their propulsion systems for the application.

ESC inc. f/w, Motors, Props.

Reactions: BigAl07
Exactly... I was checking the difference between the DJI and the cheap ones this morning. There is a VERY big difference. The DJI props are a lot stiffer than the clones and feel heavier as well. Also, the hole in the prop that fits over the shaft on the motor is a lot tighter on the cheap blades. I really don't think that it can be good for the motors when you're pushing and pulling hard to install and remove them. One thing for certain is to never use a combination of both when you fly. Actually, I don't think you would even get off the ground if you tried to do this.

Also props are CHEAP and designed to be an early point of failure. If the prop strikes something and does NOT fail that energy is transferred deeper into the aircraft where things are HARDER to replace and considerably more expensive to replace. It's a lot easier to replace a broken prop than an upper shell because the motor arm snapped off (saving the $5 prop).

It seems that the subject of "props" is one of those topics that always creates a buzz, no pun intended. Well, ok, a pun was intended. I believe, lately, this topic has generated more than its fair share of discussion. At the same time, I seem to recall a number of postings about stability issues involving aftermarket/ generic/cheaper/alternate material props. BigAl, being the voice of reason in all things UAV-related, makes a very valid point. Phantoms are designed to operate best/properly with genuine DJI props. Unless you're more knowledgeable and skilled than the folks at DJI, don't tempt fate by using props that haven't been vetted by them. If your Phantom is damaged (or lost) due to a failure of a prop (or any failure-point part) made by someone other than DJI or an approved manufacturer, the LAST thing you'll remember is how much you saved by buying cheap props. Trust me on that point. OK, I'm done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart