Black props need more tightening? Video Added!

Reaction score
I thought I had a bad prop, so I replaced it, but upon closer inspection it seems like both my black props need much less of a 'spin' and many more turns by hand to tighten them and never really feel as tight as the silvers which 'spin' on more but need much less of a hand turn to tighten them?

I've explained it as best I can but I'm going to try to make a quick video later to show what I mean!

Does this sound normal?

Certainly not like mine .... all 4 props and the spares are same.

Nigel

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This shows the issue as best I can, especially with the last one. I'm tightening them all to an equal resistance. I'm just concerned that a prop may come off in flight. What does everyone make of this?

Also please excuse my "heavy breathing", my head was right next to the camera.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This shows the issue as best I can, especially with the last one. I'm tightening them all to an equal resistance. I'm just concerned that a prop may come off in flight. What does everyone make of this?

Also please excuse my "heavy breathing", my head was right next to the camera.....

Mine does same thing. Only the black. Even new ones did same thing. They will loosen up after several swaps. My fingers are not strong enough so I use the tool to snug the props.

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
All mine seem to spin on and require the same degree of tightening (rotation) to arrive at what feels like the same applied torque. Do the motor threads seem to have a similar thread finish?

All mine seem to spin on and require the same degree of tightening (rotation) to arrive at what feels like the same applied torque. Do the motor threads seem to have a similar thread finish?
Yeah, they seem to, but I guess even small difference could cause something like this.

My main concern is that if a prop was to come off in flight then it would be a case of my word against theirs.

So should I RMA while I still can? I don't want to be without a drone, but I also don't want it falling from the sky......

I got two sets of props with my p3s. The first set spun on freely and evenly, and I used them for 50 flights or so until I got tired of the color I had dyed them. Putting the second set on, I noticed one (I believe it was a silver one) did not spin on as freely as the other three. After 50+ flights on the second set they all spin on the same.

I've actually sent the video to where I purchased it and they've agreed something's not right.

I know it may been nothing but with it being something that flies I don't want to take any chances!

Reactions: ifly2high
Well just as an update, my Phantom has been returned, the company (scan.co.uk) have acknowledged the fault and a replacement should be with me on Tuesday.

Of course it'll probably rain all week knowing my luck!!!

I think the problem is with the props. My original props spun on freely so I can't think it the threads on the motors. It was the replacement props that didn't spin on freely.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen