Biggest battery for a DJI Phantom 1

Reaction score
I have the original DJI Phantom 1 and want to put in the biggest sized battery for max flying time. I don't mind cutting out the door frame a bit to allow a battery the extra size. The question is what is the maximum battery I can use. I looked at the 5000 mah batteries but I think the 43 mm is to tall a dimension on the zippy. Any suggestions as to what I can use? I don't want to use the double batteries on each side. My friend tried that setup and the straight down descent was a disaster. I hear there is a rocking problem, which i saw. So I want to use just one large battery. Any successful people out there?

The largest battery that will fit in the Phantom 1 bay, carved to the max, is ~55.5mm wide. You can put the motherboard on 2-4mm spacers (you will if you are going to do 3S2P batteries) and can get 35mm height. Length depends on whether you are going with a 3rd party battery door, but the stock door allows for 105-107mm, depending on how long the discharge leads are and how they're wired.

My maddog 2700x2 (5400mah) battery BARELY fits width-wise. It's puffed just a *tiny* bit since I first made it, and it's getting hard to slide in and out smoothly. And there's nothing left to cut to allow for more space. In fact, the fit is so tight that I can't slide the XT60 plug into the shell past the battery and motherboard standoff, I have to be careful with my routing.

Since there are now (claimed) 2800mah batteries with similar dimensions, I'm fairly confident saying the biggest battery you can currently fit in the P1 shell without going with a 3rd party door and having it stick way out the front, is ~5600mah.

aObc2fL.jpg

oDWSrTj.jpg

GancmET.jpg

55t4kAt.jpg

Me personally I'd just stick with one normal sized battery.

I use the SMC 2800 mAh battery and get roughly 9-10 minutes of flying time with my gear from my signature.
I also have maddog 2700 mAh, but with my brief experience with the SMC, I'd say go for them.

Edit: El G posted right before me--great response from him!

Hopefully this week I'll be doing comparison tests of the maddog 2700, SMC 2800, Pulse 2700, Lectron Pro 2700, and maybe one or two other candidates in the "best batt for P1" category. I'll be testing them individually first, and the most promising 2 or 3 will then be tested in a dual config in my P1.5.

Looking forward to your results Ol P!

Hobbyking selling a new battery
Turnigy 2700mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack (Suitable for Quanum Nova)
these should fit inside with no worries and the price is great

Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 2700mAh
Configuration: 3S1P / 11.1v / 3Cell
Constant Discharge: 20C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 30C
Pack Weight: 198g
Pack Size: 102 x 35 x 28mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: XT60
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._20C_Lipo_Pack_Suitable_for_Quanum_Nova_.html

framedtrash said:

Spec.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._20C_Lipo_Pack_Suitable_for_Quanum_Nova_.html

If they start stocking those in the US Warehouse I might try one as well. For now, I have 3 new competitive options to the maddog 2700 that I'm halfway through testing as we speak, hope to have some data up shortly.

Spec.
How do you charge your batteries?

Hi guys, Just wanted to add to the battery issue with the phantom 1.1.1. I got the bird from B&H photo back in April and got the extra watson battery with it and 4 Double A watson rechargable batteries for my controller. They all work well. I have modiifed my bird with the dual carbon fibre mounts, withe the cable from inside the battery compartment sitting outside the battery door all the time, i notched out a small section to allow the door to close with the cable out the side of it. See attached photo. Also attached a headlight to the battery door which i only use if i fly it near dusk. I have flown it 5 times since getting the double batterys hooked up and am getting about 16 to 17 min of flying time. I weighted the phantom with everything hooked up and it came in at 1205 grams. I also use a Garmin Virb Elite cam on the mount attached to the belly of the bird. I am going to test the bird with just 1 battery inside the comartment and the camera attached and see what time i get on each battery, i suspect i will get pretty much the same time as with the dual batterys hooked up. I will keep you posted. Check out my first thread after getting my Garmin Virb Elite. http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-1-1-1-and-garmin-virb-elite.45719/

Last edited:
Well i tested out my drone and flew it with each battery separate from having the 2 mounted on the carbon fibre mounts, i am getting about just over 10 min with each battery vs about just over 16 min with the 2 of them mounted together on the drone, so i guess it depends on how long i want to keep it flying until she self lands. I am looking at getting a pair of 3000 mah batteries which will give me even more time flying the bird.

The largest battery that will fit in the Phantom 1 bay, carved to the max, is ~55.5mm wide. You can put the motherboard on 2-4mm spacers (you will if you are going to do 3S2P batteries) and can get 35mm height. Length depends on whether you are going with a 3rd party battery door, but the stock door allows for 105-107mm, depending on how long the discharge leads are and how they're wired.

My maddog 2700x2 (5400mah) battery BARELY fits width-wise. It's puffed just a *tiny* bit since I first made it, and it's getting hard to slide in and out smoothly. And there's nothing left to cut to allow for more space. In fact, the fit is so tight that I can't slide the XT60 plug into the shell past the battery and motherboard standoff, I have to be careful with my routing.

Since there are now (claimed) 2800mah batteries with similar dimensions, I'm fairly confident saying the biggest battery you can currently fit in the P1 shell without going with a 3rd party door and having it stick way out the front, is ~5600mah.

aObc2fL.jpg

oDWSrTj.jpg

GancmET.jpg

55t4kAt.jpg
which carbon props are those? they look great!

I just got the Johnson 7400 and am trying to figure out how to cope with the weight and balance issues. :rolleyes:

I use Multistar 4000s and they slide right in with a little bit of sanding. I got 4-5 minutes longer flight time than my 2200s

Were did u get the johnson 74000 battery sounds interesting IflyinWY

Sorry buddy, I was joking. Sometimes I forget we're not in "Off Topic". :rolleyes:

The Multistar 4000 is the largest I have tried, and I will say it's great, but heavy.:D

Revive an Ancient Thread??

Don't mind if I do...

I decided to get my P1 back up to speed. Added a Shapeway extension door for the battery compartment.

Bought a Venom 4000mah 15c (the older ones). Reason: its width fits in the P1 battery opening without modding.

Just took it up today. 14:47 mins before red light. Another 20 seconds after auto land.

Specs: P1, 8 inch factory props, factory engines, Zenmuse H3-2d gimbal, Xiomi Yi action cam (1080p, comes close to Gopro dimensions...needs a 3d printed piece to keep the camera on the Zenmuse snug).

Environment: I flew mine as I do when filming houses. Gentle banks, steep climbs, level passes, etc. I did a few "panic" climbs (full throttle to 50 feet). I also threw in 2 figure 8s to simulate those times we panic.

Wind was a steady 7 mph. Temp was 83 degrees.

Hope that helps some of you toying with the idea of getting your older copter back in the air!

Check out my comments at New graphene batteries on phantom 1

Also I noticed that this 5200 Multistar would fit with my modifications: MultiStar High Capacity 5200mAh 3S 10C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack for QR X350 PRO

Based on some testing I've done, I use about 4 mah per second when flying and loose about a second for each gram of weight added. Therefore the 5200 multistar should give me (5200 - 4000) 1200/4 = 300 more seconds, but the 30 gram weight penalty will cost me 30 sec. So 270 sec. = 4.5 minutes more flight time. At this time I'm happy with the flight times I'm getting with the 4000 mah., so I haven't tried the larger battery yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen