Beware of Spinning Props!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I'm not reading all of that and your reply and quote is all out of order anyway.

Again...let it go.

I can see where Prop Guards can have a place but also where they would have no use and some where they increase the danger.

If you are flying indoors of a confined space then they could be a safety precaution.

Generally flying away from people then they are not really useful. If there is a wind then they cause extra drag and can lead to drift so that is where they can add to danger.

I have a set but have never fitted them. I prefer to follow the rules and keep safe that way.

Reactions: Duchunter and HWCM
Let me explain to those of you who are not members of at least middle class American caucasian culture. The term "dude", for the past 125+ years, has meant one thng, and one thing only - to describe a PAYING CUSTOMER OF A DUDE RANCH.

According to Merriam-Webster, you are wrong, as should surprise no one.

DUDE (noun) 1 : a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner

Okay guys... Enough with the bashing. Feel free to disagree on any subject, but personal attacks will never be allowed here. Period. And now... back to our regularly scheduled program...

-slinger

[QUOTE="gunslinger,......... And now... back to our regularly scheduled program...-slinger[/QUOTE]
. . . . . . . . . .

Good idea - so - how about it - some kind of survey to establish a statistical basis....to see how many of you guys like the idea of insisting all drone mfgs factory-install blade-guards, and how many of you feel blade-guards ruin your "drone experience"....?

(Personally, i dont think this is going to be much of an issue much longer...given the attitude of some of you towards public safety issues.

As I noted earlier, my fear is that some member of the general public is going to get cut up,..... the press will jump on this, with the end result society will come down on us drone operators so hard it will be like what happened in Australia to the firearms users. )

I'm more worried about somebody strapping a 2 pound bomb on a p3 and flying it into a building or something. That will be the death of the hobby. Come up with a guard against that and you have my vote.

I'm more worried about somebody strapping a 2 pound bomb on a p3 and flying it into a building or something. That will be the death of the hobby. .

. . . . .
"Duch" has an interesting point. How many remember how Chicago's Mayor Daley ( about 10 years ago) played on the fear and dislike of the general public against aviation - got an entire airport closed down AND a "restricted area" set up over his city. ( Meigs Field ).

Could we be next even without a major tragedy ?

I think eventually they will make every large city off limits to drones. There are going to be more issues of invasion of privacy, crashes into buildings, drones falling on the sidewalk, or whatever. It won't take more than a hand full of those incidents. Just like laptops on planes they will get wind of some group planing to drone swarm a city or something and nfz all large city's. Its not hard to drive fear into the general populous and get whatever result your aiming for and when some high level politician realises that that's a possible scenario with off the shelf technology. People don't have any problem relinquishing some of their freedoms when they are scared. It will happen eventually. Hopefully later than sooner.

Reactions: gunslinger
I think eventually they will make every large city off limits to drones. ............ It won't take more than a hand full of those incidents............ Its not hard to drive fear into the general populous.......... People don't have any problem relinquishing some of their freedoms when they are scared. .............. Hopefully later than sooner.
. . . . . . . .
Exactly ! Well Said. ! So - we are pretty much on the same page with our concerns !

All the more reason for compulsory prop. guards, & some kind of licensing/training....since that WILL reduce the chance of injury to "joe-public" (who hates us anyway !....) and hopefully give us some breathing room...!

. . . . . . . .
Exactly ! Well Said. ! So - we are pretty much on the same page with our concerns !

All the more reason for compulsory prop. guards, & some kind of licensing/training....since that WILL reduce the chance of injury to "joe-public" (who hates us anyway !....) and hopefully give us some breathing room...!
Because prop guards and licensing well stop a bad actor....

Peter, Civic minded? I do not use blade guards. Never have. They are designed to protect the blade, not the obstacle. 1) you should never have a drone any where near a human. Especially if you are a novice. This is the first I have heard of a dee dee deee getting his face chopped up by a drone. Probably trying to catch it in the air, because he does not know how to land. You lawyers, and liberals stay out of our freedoms. If you don't know how to operate it , practice. Follow the safety rules. And finally do not be a dummy.
Oh, don't try to shave with a drone either. Or use it to mix a drink. Hopefully you are catching on. If not, this will give you something to Whine about...

The fear of using consumer drones to carry out terrorist attacks is overblown (no pun intended). They can't lift very much weight. Terrorists have much simpler, more effective ways of delivering much bigger explosives.

so - how about it - some kind of survey to establish a statistical basis....to see how many of you guys like the idea of insisting all drone mfgs factory-install blade-guards, and how many of you feel blade-guards ruin your "drone experience"....?
You've suggested this several times. You have the ability to start a thread with a poll. If you're that curious you should go ahead and do so.

The fear of using consumer drones to carry out terrorist attacks is overblown (no pun intended). They can't lift very much weight. Terrorists have much simpler, more effective ways of delivering much bigger explosives.
. . . .

I respectfully suggest you re-read Durch's outstanding post, in which he notes the obvious - politicians aren't going to listen to us - soon as the press gets hold of "joe-public"s kid getting all cut up, they are coming after ALL of us !

, can't fix stupid

Of course you are correct!

While society cant fix stupid, it sure as heck will revolt against those who help "Mister Stupid" mess himself up. Get blade guards. They will protect you, and equally important, protect "Mr Stupid", and his kids.

Remember, even if you are not paranoid..."they" are out to get us !

I don't necessarily think that some kind of compulsory training for quads over a certain weight is a bad idea or perhaps a skill test. We'll have to agree to disagree about prop guards. I will concede that quads in the hands of just anyone can be bad. If you can't fly without the camera then your likely to fly anywhere if the feed drops. Its imperative that you can get home with just the telemetry and the map. I see so many people just get lost trying to fly with the camera alone. I mean dang, everything you need is right there on the screen. To many people depend on rth. I trip people out when i tell them its about to fly over and then it does when you can't see it. I can see exactly where its at on the map. I don't know how people fly something like an upair one. No map, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl