Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
damoncooper said:
Recalling the last 5 flights on beta 2, there was still one worry I had about unexpected behavior: the altitude drop issue on fast full stop. It wasn't pronounced but I did still worry enough to keep it at least 8-9m above the water on a long run out over the bay.

Just something to keep an eye on once 3.0.5 hits the streets.

Great. I J-Hooked into a tree and managed to survive flying through it's branches. I don't think I would survive an altitude drop over water.

damoncooper said:
Recalling the last 5 flights on beta 2, there was still one worry I had about unexpected behavior: the altitude drop issue on fast full stop. It wasn't pronounced but I did still worry enough to keep it at least 8-9m above the water on a long run out over the bay.

You can also slow gradually instead of doing a hard stop but yes the beta has a hard stop drop. This only happened for me after I hit the default button on the gains so I thinking it's related somehow.

ianwood said:
damoncooper said:

You can also slow gradually instead of doing a hard stop but yes the beta has a hard stop drop. This only happened for me after I hit the default button on the gains so I thinking it's related somehow.

I'm still running my (copied from you Ian, actually, prior to your default reset) gains plus a small tweak of my own, notching down the controller gains by 10%:

Basic Gains 120, 120, 120, 200
ATTI Gains 210, 210

I need to play with the gains. Just haven't had the time and would rather wait for the final release before I monkey with it further. I don't want to be flying on this beta for long as I don't know what else in there was still being fixed. Clearly there are other things holding up the release so I suppose it's possible something else unrelated to this issue is still broken.

:shock:

BigBadFun said:
Kia Ora fellow Kiwi flyers who aren't beta testers - PM me your email address as I need to compare my beta flight test results to a non-patched machine... just trying to work out if it's remembering between flights.

I'd be very keen to see the results of this analysis you've done. Please share the details of how many "comparisons" you've done and with whom.

ianwood said:
I'd be very keen to see the results of this analysis you've done. Please share the details of how many "comparisons" you've done and with whom.

Will do Ian. I've lined someone up for this weekend who's on v3.04 and a swiveled compass. Got a rugby field sorted and a great vantage point to film from for straight runs etc. Weather looking good too. Let me know if there is anything specific to include.

It appears the beta has been leaked. It's a disappointing breach of trust. It was a very simple request. I've invested a huge amount of time and effort into getting this fixed and I cannot help but feel that my efforts were exploited out of a sense of "who gives a sh**", "me first" self-entitled freeloading.

The issue is moot as the final firmware is done and will be out this week if what I've been told is correct. But it's disappointing all the same.

ianwood said:
It appears the beta has been leaked. It's a disappointing breach of trust. It was a very simple request. I've invested a huge amount of time and effort into getting this fixed and I cannot help but feel that my efforts were exploited out of a sense of "who gives a sh**", "me first" self-entitled freeloading.

The issue is moot as the final firmware is done and will be out this week if what I've been told is correct. But it's disappointing all the same.

yep... that is exactly how you left it.

DJI gave it to a bunch of nameless identityless people on an internet forum. They leaked it.. its no big deal

ianwood said:

What brings you to this conclusion? Is this the only place testers were chosen from?

LuvMyTJ said:
ianwood said:

What brings you to this conclusion? Is this the only place testers were chosen from?

Even if they did. The beach of trust is not between the beta testers and you. Any contract or any agreement to beta testing is directly between the beta tester and DJI. Unless you personally chose the beta testers...then it's just personal and still not your issue.

l am the one that ianwood is referring to. I will admit that.

I inferred in one of my posts that the beta made flying the phantom "like a brand new machine", because I wanted to get under his skin. I grew weary of listening to him tell everyone to be patient, while gloating about how great the fix is and defending the inactions of DJI. Its easy for the guy who has the fix to tell everyone to be patient.

Last night, he oh-so-sweetly asked me via PM who it was that gave me the release, which really pisses me off. His ego is so huge, that he thinks A; that he is solely responsible for there even BEING a beta, and B, that the only place it can be found is here, like its him that is overseeing the whole project, and that this is the only place that DJI allowed their beta to be.

After I declined to reveal my source, he told me that he knew who it was, and that they would be dealt with accordingly. False authority ego at its finest.

Bottom line is.. He can puff up his chest and posture all he wants. He doesn't know anything was leaked because nothing was leaked. Period. How do I know? Because I was talking trash to make a point. I'm not going to put unproven software on a machine I've invested three grand in. (Which is what I'm out if it flies away).

I was making a point, and I've made it: ianwood has appointed himself the authority and leader of this entire group and project, and I'm tired of listening to him crow about the beta while telling everyone to be patient and wait, all while brown nosing to DJI.

It is no surprise at all that there has been a leak considering the way this was handled by both DJI and the "Project." If the "Project" had been conducted the way it was sold, people would have been more likely to respect certain wishes. I am certain that it was not intentional, but look at it from an outsiders perspective:

A call to action is made against DJI to fix a serious problem causing headaches for many. People are asked to join the cause with the intent of pressuring DJI to fix said problem. People join the cause and go to work, causing DJI to respond. After a short while, one person is given a partial fix and everyone is told to stop pressuring DJI because we don't want to upset them. After another short while, a full fix is issued. Meanwhile, 99% of those who bought into the project have nothing but see the reports of how great everything is. Then they are told to wait patiently. So essentially the result of the project was to get one person and a few hand chosen by him, a fix by utilizing the work and voice of many.

Again, not intentional, but certainly you can understand where the frustration is originating and why there might be some that don't really care about "exploiting" your "time and effort". Quite a few others have put in time and effort. Now they want their solution.

DJI haven't done anything remarkable in fixing this problem. There are numerous other multi rotor companies who offer GPS hold, RTH etc and none of them suffer (that I'm aware of) with these issues. We all carry in our pockets, smart phones with built in GPS and map apps that can tell us in an instant where we are and where we're going, with great reliability. DJI have simply "come up to the default standard" by throwing resources into fixing this problem. A problem that has plagued DJI products for years.
Now, if DJI similarly "come up to the standard" of listening and responding to their customers in a timely fashion, then I can only wish them a bright future. A properly functioning Phantom with a properly functioning gimbal and camera is a huge asset to hobbyists and professionals alike.
I hope someone with the determination of Ian Wood will take issue with GoPro, who are churning out thousands of bug ridden and generally unreliable cameras. I've had three Black Edition 3+ cameras in a row that refuse to function. Sooooo frustrating. :cry:

Any fix to this point. I just took my Phantom 2 H33D out of the box after a few months, iOSD mini and Immersion RC video transmitter. This is my 3rd Phantom. My first 2 were Phantom 2 H23D. (sold one and sill have a H23D) They seem to be more stable than the P2 H33D.

I guess my point is is there any fis to date.

Thanks, Louis

ThatRobbGuy said:
l am the one that ianwood is referring to. I will admit that.

I inferred in one of my posts that the beta made flying the phantom "like a brand new machine", because I wanted to get under his skin. <snip>

If what you say is true it is a classic case of trolling. I am sure you are aware no forum tolerates trolling.

While I don't know ianwood I applaud his efforts, or anyone else's for that matter who has taken on the task of helping in some way to improve our birds. It is truly sad that for every 1 person that helps out there are 100 people who complain about any & everything. I guess some people enjoy complaining more than doing.

*I would prefer not to have to police this thread so often so I am asking nicely again to please not bash others in this or any other thread or expect a warning. If you earn multiple warnings on your account you could be banned from the forum. Keep it civil people.

The total lack of appreciation is disgusting...
Without Ian's effort there would be NO fix. We would all continue to enjoy TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
I am amazed at the lack of appreciation and demonstration of total ignorance of the situation.
Ian's requests throughout the project were realistic and made complete sense. You can't have a fix just because you want it, it has to be worked, tested, and released, which these days is very complex.
These systems are not trivial. To be realistic (no intent to insult) most users could not understand the system details if it was explained to them.
Drunken Sparrow was to get DJI's attention and it succeeded. We knew they were working the problem!!! We have no idea how hard DJI was working the problem and obviously none of us had any influence over them. Demanding an early incomplete release when you have no idea what's going on makes no sense.
DJI was virtually non communicative... but we did know they were working the problem...
There is no doubt that it would have been very easy for DJI to keep us informed, weekly, and this would have gone much more smoothly. It is hard to believe they didn't even try. But to dump on Ian is totally unacceptable.

Since we know beta2 is much better than beta1 and has additional functionality (it learns/remembers) it obvious that beta1 was not ready for release. Beta2 was made available on July 14th. That was 14 days ago. Some of that time was our beta tests. We all want an instant solution but get realistic.

John Shaw said:
The total lack of appreciation is disgusting...
Without Ian's effort there would be NO fix. We would all continue to enjoy TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
I am amazed at the lack of appreciation and demonstration of total ignorance of the situation.
Ian's requests throughout the project were realistic and made complete sense. You can't have a fix just because you want it, it has to be worked, tested, and released, which these days is very complex.
These systems are not trivial. To be realistic (no intent to insult) most users could not understand the system details if it was explained to them.
Drunken Sparrow was to get DJI's attention and it succeeded. We knew they were working the problem!!! We have no idea how hard DJI was working the problem and obviously none of us had any influence over them. Demanding an early incomplete release when you have no idea what's going on makes no sense.
DJI was virtually non communicative... but we did know they were working the problem...
There is no doubt that it would have been very easy for DJI to keep us informed, weekly, and this would have gone much more smoothly. It is hard to believe they didn't even try. But to dump on Ian is totally unacceptable.

Since we know beta2 is much better than beta1 and has additional functionality (it learns/remembers) it obvious that beta1 was not ready for release. Beta2 was made available on July 14th. That was 14 days ago. Some of that time was our beta tests. We all want an instant solution but get realistic.

+1. As far as I can tell, Ian was pretty much solely responsible for driving this issue. The ignorant, childish whining about his efforts that now pervades this thread is very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka