Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
sar104 said:
[quote="John Shaw"
+1. As far as I can tell, Ian was pretty much solely responsible for driving this issue. The ignorant, childish whining about his efforts that now pervades this thread is very sad.

+1 this thread isn't about personality conflicts, ego, pandering, or condescension. It's about fixing a long standing issue that DJI has never given a **** about. I completely disagree with earlier comments that this would have been a addressed with or without Ian's efforts - it most certainly would not have been.

There is nothing anyone can do at this point but wait until these assholes release the firmware, and if you really want to make a statement, try not buying anymore DJI products as an alternative to whining about the people who made this happen.

so when are these ******** going to fix this ****? and DJI will not be getting any more of my money, ********

sar104 said:
John Shaw said:
The total lack of appreciation is disgusting...
Without Ian's effort there would be NO fix. We would all continue to enjoy TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
I am amazed at the lack of appreciation and demonstration of total ignorance of the situation.
Ian's requests throughout the project were realistic and made complete sense. You can't have a fix just because you want it, it has to be worked, tested, and released, which these days is very complex.
These systems are not trivial. To be realistic (no intent to insult) most users could not understand the system details if it was explained to them.
Drunken Sparrow was to get DJI's attention and it succeeded. We knew they were working the problem!!! We have no idea how hard DJI was working the problem and obviously none of us had any influence over them. Demanding an early incomplete release when you have no idea what's going on makes no sense.
DJI was virtually non communicative... but we did know they were working the problem...
There is no doubt that it would have been very easy for DJI to keep us informed, weekly, and this would have gone much more smoothly. It is hard to believe they didn't even try. But to dump on Ian is totally unacceptable.

Since we know beta2 is much better than beta1 and has additional functionality (it learns/remembers) it obvious that beta1 was not ready for release. Beta2 was made available on July 14th. That was 14 days ago. Some of that time was our beta tests. We all want an instant solution but get realistic.

+1. As far as I can tell, Ian was pretty much solely responsible for driving this issue. The ignorant, childish whining about his efforts that now pervades this thread is very sad.
Completely agree.

Just a quick question. I know this GPS issue has been ongoing for many months. But the part about people shelving their birds confuses me. Why not just fly in ATTI? Is that affected too, in the units that are experiencing the GPS issue? I received my vision+ two weeks ago and have only been flying in ATTI because I was aware of the issue beforehand, and figured why chance anything until it all got sorted out. To be honest, I like ATTI much better than the GPS mode in my FC40. Am i missing something? My vision+ flies amazingly well in ATTI, and I don't really see any reason to switch even when the fix is implemented unless I was looking to use Groundcontrol or wanted to be lazy and leave it in the air while I went and got another beer (I kid :D )

edit: I should probably state that I am flying in an area that is -16.

Camicus said:
Just a quick question. I know this GPS issue has been ongoing for many months. But the part about people shelving their birds confuses me. Why not just fly in ATTI? Is that affected too, in the units that are experiencing the GPS issue? I received my vision+ two weeks ago and have only been flying in ATTI because I was aware of the issue beforehand, and figured why chance anything until it all got sorted out. To be honest, I like ATTI much better than the GPS mode in my FC40. Am i missing something? My vision+ flies amazingly well in ATTI, and I don't really see any reason to switch even when the fix is implemented unless I was looking to use Groundcontrol or wanted to be lazy and leave it in the air while I went and got another beer (I kid :D )

The people most affected by the unreliability of GPS will be those who are newcomers to quad flying. Even some seasoned flyers will feel uneasy if they're in a situation where GPS is preferred but, switching to it might cause a crash. DJI make very clear claims as to GPS performance in their advertising. To date, these claims have been unreliable for many of their customers.

John Shaw said:
The total lack of appreciation is disgusting...
Without Ian's effort there would be NO fix. We would all continue to enjoy TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
I am amazed at the lack of appreciation and demonstration of total ignorance of the situation.
Ian's requests throughout the project were realistic and made complete sense. You can't have a fix just because you want it, it has to be worked, tested, and released, which these days is very complex.
These systems are not trivial. To be realistic (no intent to insult) most users could not understand the system details if it was explained to them.
Drunken Sparrow was to get DJI's attention and it succeeded. We knew they were working the problem!!! We have no idea how hard DJI was working the problem and obviously none of us had any influence over them. Demanding an early incomplete release when you have no idea what's going on makes no sense.
DJI was virtually non communicative... but we did know they were working the problem...
There is no doubt that it would have been very easy for DJI to keep us informed, weekly, and this would have gone much more smoothly. It is hard to believe they didn't even try. But to dump on Ian is totally unacceptable.

Since we know beta2 is much better than beta1 and has additional functionality (it learns/remembers) it obvious that beta1 was not ready for release. Beta2 was made available on July 14th. That was 14 days ago. Some of that time was our beta tests. We all want an instant solution but get realistic.

Couldn't agree more!!! To bash Ianwood and any of the beta testers is just ridiculous…they have all worked hard to get to the point we are at…if you are going to blame anyone blame DJI…they are the ones sitting on their hands with this issue…and if they haven't been then shame on them for their lack of communication…There response to this issue has been horrible to say the least in the owners who have been waiting for a firmware release to solve the issues. The one response I saw they made on FB was unacceptable to say " It will be released when its ready"... To DJI: Come out and make a statement stating your progress on the issues at hand, leaving your customers in the dark is bad business and not acceptable! ….To all the beta testers out there especially Ianwood…THANK YOU for all your hard work on resolving this issue and getting us to the point we are at, which is hopefully close to a release! As for the person who leaked the beta, shame on you…there is supposed to be a trust when it comes to stuff like that and you broke that trust and hopefully you didn't ruin things for the rest of us who have been patiently waiting for this release!

nzvideoguys said:
Camicus said:

The people most affected by the unreliability of GPS will be those who are newcomers to quad flying. Even some seasoned flyers will feel uneasy if they're in a situation where GPS is preferred but, switching to it might cause a crash. DJI make very clear claims as to GPS performance in their advertising. To date, these claims have been unreliable for many of their customers.

I understand that, but I think it's kind of a dumb move to start off with a phantom when you can buy a Hubsan x4 for $45. This is in no way a defensive claim to DJI. If you advertise something and then what you advertise is inherently flawed, then shame on you. But phantoms are not cheap and I think there is some blame to be held by each pilot who decide to start off in this venture with an item that is close to a grand or more. You don't learn to ride a bike without training wheels...

"I think there is some blame to be held by each pilot who decide to start off in this venture with an item that is close to a grand or more".

Errr, would you mind explaining this statement in a bit more detail?

nzvideoguys said:
"I think there is some blame to be held by each pilot who decide to start off in this venture with an item that is close to a grand or more".

Errr, would you mind explaining this statement in a bit more detail?

Yeah, no problem. There are quads that control more or less just like a phantom albeit in manual mode that can be had for $45. Hubsan x4 being a fantastic one that I found to be a good "trainer" before dropping hundreds/thousands of dollars on a phantom rig. I think having an understanding of how the general mechanics behind them work, would of helped to avoid more serious crashes etc. due to gps issues, because you could drop to ATTI, manual, and not have that "oh ****" moment where you realize that you don't really know what you're doing and you're about to brick a grand. This in no way exonerates DJI from their complete lack of addressing this issue aside from Ianwood making it happen. I would have never bought my Triumph Scrambler without first knowing how to operate dirt bikes and other smaller motored motorcycles. The point being (and I thought I had already clearly explained it) was that you didn't learn how to ride a bike without first using training wheels ie. a much cheaper quad with similar characteristics. I first was introduced to the phantom at Bonnaroo when I saw one fly over while Elton John was performing. I then did relentless research etc, and decided to buy a "trainer" knowing that there would be a bit of a learning curve and I would much rather destroy $45 (which I of course did) then destroying $1000 or more...

(obviously this is my personal opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, but if someone planning on buying a phantom reads this and then learns to fly a much cheaper quad and then "levels up" then I think all of these words were worth it.)

To be fully honest, I don't think anyone should be flying a phantom or a quad that size unless they are comfortable in manual mode, but that's just me. If you only ever stay in GPS mode, you don't "really" know how to fly it, because you've never taken the built in training wheels off..

I don't get it. Seriously. Look at the tone of this thread. Frustration set in and everyone is defensive. Why can't we just keep sticking together rather than make personal attacks on each other? Just because we are "waiting" doesn't mean its ok for anyone to bash. I know everyone is "reacting" to each other... but time for everyone to take a chill pill and focus on how we can help DJI to stick to or accelerate their time line. In the end that is all that everyone wants right?

I think the vast majority of participants in this thread and the other one really don't care for Ian all that much because of his "do this don't do that" attitude. He pretty much turned me off his ways soon after I found these threads because of his condescending remarks.

Andy T said:
I think the vast majority of participants in this thread and the other one really don't care for Ian all that much because of his "do this don't do that" attitude. He pretty much turned me off his ways soon after I found these threads because of his condescending remarks.

Pretty obvious. It's his nature. He's probably works for a state university or is an attorney.. LOL... The biggest issue isn't that... the biggest issue I don't get is why some defend DJI?

d4ddyo said:
Andy T said:

Pretty obvious. It's his nature. He's probably works for a state university or is an attorney.. LOL... The biggest issue isn't that... the biggest issue I don't get is why some defend DJI?
He wants to work for them. it's pretty obvious

Andy T said:
d4ddyo said:
Andy T said:

He wants to work for them. it's pretty obvious

I hope he doesn't use this forum as a resumé.

Andy T said:

I can see this point of view. I was "set straight" by him on a few occasions. Like when I said this was a complicated issue and he set me straight saying it was "a simple look up table and 2 lines of code." He has also repeatedly told me and others that this has nothing to do with GPS, but that simply cannot be because GPS is how the Phantom knows where it is. The compass is how it stays on a heading, but it is the GPS that figures out where it is supposed to be. I have long felt this is a complex issue that is an interaction between the inherent accuracy of the GPS and how the compass correction is applied. It is that correction that varies by the declination and thus you have an enormous number of variables to account for. I think that is why this is taking so long. In the meantime I use the sticks on my transmitter to keep my Phantom going where I want it to go. Just a natural consequence of 47 years of flying RC.

SilentAV8R said:
Andy T said:

I can see this point of view. I was "set straight" by him on a few occasions. Like when I said this was a complicated issue and he set me straight saying it was "a simple look up table and 2 lines of code." He has also repeatedly told me and others that this has nothing to do with GPS, but that simply cannot be because GPS is how the Phantom knows where it is. The compass is how it stays on a heading, but it is the GPS that figures out where it is supposed to be. I have long felt this is a complex issue that is an interaction between the inherent accuracy of the GPS and how the compass correction is applied. It is that correction that varies by the declination and thus you have an enormous number of variables to account for. I think that is why this is taking so long. In the meantime I use the sticks on my transmitter to keep my Phantom going where I want it to go. Just a natural consequence of 47 years of flying RC.

We are all way past that. What they are saying is how condescending he is and bossy attitude... to the point where he's warning people to keep on point. He did this after he made personal remarks and probably got reprimanded for it so he started a harsh tone and warning people to keep it on topic "or else" as if he was a moderator or something.

I don't care either way. He can't hurt me or my feelings. I just want this to get fix and am tired of "waiting". So we are supposedly on the home stretch. Ian said he got an email stating it will be this week. He also stated that he gets response 50% of the time.. well guess what... that is 50% more than anyone else in America. I'll give him a medal for starting this up.... I'll pin it to his forehead for dropping us because he thinks we are impatient and whining. That is no way to address people. Heck... it was his whining that started this.

damoncooper said:
Guys. WTF?? Attacking Ian's character is misguided. DJI is the one who deserves the angst here.

it is what it is. just the facts. go back and read through it. probably due to frustration but what he posted he posted.

I'm gonna take you guys off my Christmas card list if you diss Ian. The guy helped get us mobilize to get the drunkin sparrow campaign kicked off and in high gear. That got DJI off their behinds to take this issue seriously.

Waiting for things is a part of life many of us try to avoid but non the less we all have to wait. Unless you are going to develop your own software for the Phantom or get a job helping DJI you must be patient and wait for updates just like the rest of us. Constantly crying about waiting does nothing to help the situation and shows what little patience you have. It'll get here when it gets here. Nothing productive will come from more negative post.

- If you are not posting technical info or questions about technical info regarding the compass issue please do not post in this thread.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka