Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Best way to drill out prop hole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by insatiable, Oct 15, 2013.

1. insatiable

Anyone have a good procedure for holding the prop secure when drilling out the smaller hole on the tri-blade props to the Phantom size?? I tried it holding the prop by hand and that didnt work very well.

2. baja5b-ss

Best way I would have thought is if you no somebody with access to a lathe, failing that I vice maybe be used but holding centre could be tricky.

sent from a GS4 using tapacrap now Free

3. miskatonic

4. Ots

Ots

Typically prop reamers are used to enlarge an existing hole. They are available in both standard and metric sizes.

5. martcerv

I agree easily the best way to enlarge a hole, I couldnt find a prop reamer in Australia but had to order some bits in the US so added a prop reamer with it. I tried drilling some holes but this was a bit of a fail the reamer worked great though.

6. insatiable

Thanks for all the good advice.

7. TickTock

The big question, IMO, is where do you find a broach that will ream the hole *and* leave the key indention.

8. miskatonic

You don't need to leave a key indentation. Just tighten the prop down. It will be fine.

9. TickTock

Yeah - that's what I do. Still, I'd like to have a broach and would appreciate if anyone who found a source would post it.

10. jumanoc

No reamer found, so I DYI with a medium sized "closed" scissors, turning and pressing slowly until I got exact hole for motors shaft. :ugeek:
    I worked with plastic propellers, then with graupners and finally with my tri-blades. Post-balance with Du-Bro balancer was a breeze.

[​IMG]

11. PJA

PJA

12. rilot

Those are junk.
    I bought one and it was blunt before I'd even finished reaming 1 APC prop. By the time it was finished, the chocolate cake I was eating while reaming was sharper.

A good vice and pillar drill setup or just do it by hand with scissors or a sharp drill.