Best tablet for DJI GO

Thanks for posting. I am still 50/50 between the Air 2 and Mini4. I do use a neckstrap (lanyard?), as you say it leaves your hands free if need be, so the extra weight of the Air 2 hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue. Is the Air 2's screen okay for reflections? I currently have the Mini 2 and mostly see my own face!

You will always have problems with reflections on the screen, no matter what you use. All I can say is to find something that you might think will work and give it a shot. Weight is a big issue, so stay away from the plastic screen protector's and go with the fabric ones if possible. Just my opinion.

Reactions: TrevorTron
Hi

Huge Apple fanboy here. And proud P3P owner.

Currently I'm using my iPhone 6S for lightbridge tru DJI GO.
Though it works perfectly, I was thinking of getting a dedicated Phantom-tablet.
So much is going on, on my phone, that I wont risking the app crashing og things like that.

I see many topics like this on here, but i also see, that mostly Android-devices are recomended.
I would trust an iPad more than any android device, and see some other users in here complainting about the android OS and its (in)stability.

I guess GPS is a major feature and would like that in my tablet.
What would you recommend of the Apple-tablet - or why do you think i should pick a Android instead?

Regards
Emil

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 works very well even in bright sunny days.

I use an iPad Mini 2 Cellular

$150.00 From Verizon Wireless then $10.00 per month for the cell service

Runs GREAT no lag at all

If money is not an issue, the iPad Mini 4 has an amazingly bright screen. Get the cellular version if you can.
Or, a cheaper option is the Nvidia SHIELD K1.
Is it a must to have cellular device? Can I use my iPhones hot spot and get what is needed? I don't want another cell phone bill. I can put my iPhone in air plane mode to stop incoming calls, then use my iPad that has only wifi, will this get me what I need to fly my p3p safely?

Is it a must to have cellular device?
You only need a cellular version if you want to use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or reset your home point to your current location after takeoff. Otherwise, a Wi-Fi only device will be just fine. If you just want to get the maps when you're out flying, a hotspot will work.

You only need a cellular version if you want to use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or reset your home point to your current location after takeoff. Otherwise, a Wi-Fi only device will be just fine. If you just want to get the maps when you're out flying, a hotspot will work.
So I will not be able to set a new RTH point , that's not good!!! I have had to use it already when on a sunny day I lost sight of it and used the RTH to save the day.

So I will not be able to set a new RTH point
You will only be able to set the home point to the Phantom's current location. Resetting the home point after takeoff is probably something most people rarely do.

So I will not be able to set a new RTH point , that's not good!!! I have had to use it already when on a sunny day I lost sight of it and used the RTH to save the day.
You can use the RTH without cellular, it's the DYNAMIC RTH that you can't use.
Like msinger said, as long as you're ok with the Phantom returning to wherever it launched from, you're fine. Dynamic RTH is for when you launch from one place, then you (the pilot) and the Phantom both travel to another location before landing. Unless you plan to chase the Phantom in a vehicle, it's not a feature you'll likely use much.

Dynamic RTH is for when you launch from one place, then you (the pilot) and the Phantom both travel to another location before landing.
The P3 does not have a dynamic home point feature. You can only manually set the home point to the Phantom's current location or your current location (if your mobile device has a GPS receiver).

The P3 does not have a dynamic home point feature. You can only manually set the home point to the Phantom's current location or your current location (if your mobile device has a GPS receiver).

One of us is confused (likely me) since the DJI video I watched (or maybe in some literature I read?) called it "dynamic return to home". They explained that if the controller is connected to a tablet/phone that has a GPS signal, then it can "dynamically" set the RTH location based on the current location of the controller, even if the controller moves after launch.
The cellular part of the conversation only comes in because Apple devices use a chipset that integrates the GPS and LTE functions into a single device, so you have to buy the cellular-enabled version in order to get the GPS feature. Android devices typically have separate GPS chips, so this isn't an issue. I realize you already know this msinger, I'm clarifying for User6895 in case he hadn't already run across that info.
Or are we talking about different things entirely and I've once again missed the conversational boat? :rolleyes:

It looks like an error in the manual. When you press that button, you're presented with two options. One sets the home point to your location. The other sets the home point to the Phantom's location. Neither are truly dynamic -- meaning they continue to update the home point position automatically.

I think they're using "dynamic" in the sense of "changeable" not in the sense of "constantly changing". In any case, I'm glad it's there, but doubt I'll use it much.
Interestingly, I found a forum post from way back in 2014 pertaining to the P2V+ that also mentions the dynamic home point, and it specifically says that the home point is recalculated every 2 seconds, which would fully qualify as dynamic by your definition. Possibly this feature isn't available on the P3 for some reason though...
Regardless, hopefully we have answered User6895's question: You only need the 'cellular' version of an iPad in order to get GPS, which is used to set the home position after takeoff....somehow.

I found a forum post from way back in 2014 pertaining to the P2V+ that also mentions the dynamic home point, and it specifically says that the home point is recalculated every 2 seconds
Correct. Many people who fly a P3 also owned (or still own) a P2, so I don't like to use confusing terminology.

Really? You didn't have horrible lag? I tried my wife's Acer Iconia Tab yesterday (great tablet overall, BTW), and it was pretty much unflyable at ~1000' range and only 130' elev.
I can't wait for my Shield K1 to arrive...

So you use the HDMI out on the shield to connect to the Headplay googles wired, correct?
Do you just not use the wireless functions of the Headplay? Too bad they don't make a cheaper version without the 5.8Ghz stuff, that would be sweet. :)
Yes it would be as I have enough chargers and toys to pack up already to go to the Farm or field. Will likely never use the wireless.
But during the bright afternoon head play works great for taking a look around the place while not having to worry about the sun.
I doubt any exposed display would work as well

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT