BEFORE I Crash

Reaction score
when I was flying light airplanes. I had a Ballistic parachute.
When I flew, I would practice what to do in a emergency situation.
With DJI I found many people crashing because they fly in GPS mode and when they loose
GPS the DJI go into ATTI .
What I am doing, (under controlled conditions) practicing lost of GPS
AND what to do if my screen said DISCONNECTED or lost picture.
Am I the only one that is does this??

No you are not alone, I practice atti often, I also fly up to say 150ft in gps, then switch to atti and watch the drift as a gauge of the wind speed up there.

Look, I'm new at this, but I see where you are going here. (I do the same thing with self defense issues). I am not aware that many people crash in GPS mode... (first), and I have had my P4 go into Atti many times (didn't even know what that was at the time!), but didn't have any problem with it. I don't worry about it now, because I am pretty confident in my flying abilities. I fly manually, because I'm a 'stick shift' kind of person.

What I see in crashes (where it's pilot error) is generally a combination of overconfidence/inexperience, or just pushing the limit (going beyond the limits of the depth, going around buildings, losing signal because of a structure, )etc. In one case, a crash happened because the bird landed when it encountered a no fly zone geofence that had been initiated).

And...it's frustrating to me, but stuff happens... I've lost two propellers after checking them thoroughly. I wait to lift off because of this.

I use Litchi, and lately it seems to disconnect regularly (and comes back) on my android phone. Tom's tech time did a thing on YouTube about actual disconnecting and what happens (the bird hovers), and reconnecting. It's worth watching, and I got a lot of confidence by watching it. I am practicing in a similar way as you are, but not as aggressively, I don't think. My last flight was in a 15mph wind. I was impressed by the aircraft performance. I haven't even yet attempted Sports mode (but when the weather cooperates a bit more, I will).

I lose signal alot, and also video. The SD card, however, has no such problems. Lately seems like more issues, but maybe I'm pushing the aircraft more. When and if this happens, I usually just ...wait a second for it (signal) to come back (I've set the aircraft to "hover"), and since I fly FPV, I usually know where I am (if I actually lose it). In the last week when this happened, I just slowly made a pivot (to see if I could realign the antennas) and made sure my RC was pointed at the aircraft (I was over a moving freight train at the time). Maybe the train had wifi on that frequency--not sure. But the bird was fine, and the signal and video all came back. I then decided I wanted higher altitude for better line of sight to the RC, and went up 70 feet, and then went after another target in another direction with no more issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart