Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Been getting attention from 2 helis yesterday...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergekouper, Sep 3, 2015.

1. sergekouper

I was doing a job yesterday close to a large railway bridge when an helicopter appeared in my zone. I moved quickly away and landed as we wanted to check the SD card anyway. I Don't know what it was doing there, but it passed us slowly, stopped and started hovering... for about 5 to 10mn, and went away. 5 minutes later, a police helicopter came directly hovering right above us. Again for about 5 minutes while I was still on the ground. Obviously the site is sensitive as there are multiple railways and trains passing every minute or so. I was glad to be clear with everything, but quite intimidated. I guess the first one reported us and Police came to have a look.

2. FDNY_Chris

3. sergekouper

London

4. LUISMARTINEZ

May be wise to call local cops in advance when filming potentially sensitive facilities. Terrorism is in every one's mind and I don't expect a call about your activity to the local police to go w/o a response.
    Common sense.

5. sergekouper

Not required in that zone with a sub 7 kg, so I didn't want to test the authorities possibly ruining my job. I want also to be relevant and not wasting the time of professionals dealing with much more important things...However, flying the 900 I would have definitely called the ATC, which would have published the event in NATS, so the police would have been aware of it in time... I think I did ok, what do you think?

#5 sergekouper, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  6. LUISMARTINEZ

I don't do notifications because I have to, but because it's a courtesy and gets the local gendarmes used to UAV's. Some are just curious and will drive by to see the flight. Good PR.

7. sergekouper

Will consider it next time... :)

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Not to ...derail... the thread but Luis, who do you notify and is this for personal, professional work or both?

sergekouper likes this.
  9. LUISMARTINEZ

Personal, hope soon professional. If it's going to be anywhere near a spot that will attract attention. State parks, a bridge, near a power station, etc. I call the local fuzz. I spent 32 yrs. as a cop in my county( I am familiar with what makes them nervous) and most cops know me, I guess I feel very comfortable chatting with them...

Things are good now, but I'm waiting for the first home grown moron (I don't call them terrorists) who tries to put explosives on a UAV to harm anyone or anything. Then we'll get screwed..:eek:

cfd701 and GoodnNuff like this.
  10. snerd

Groan

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

11. kenjancef

Oh no he di-n't... :)

cfd701 likes this.