BC Pilots

Hey guys I am from vancouver pretty close to richmond. Id love to get a few people to fly some time. I know a few great places with lots of space for new pilots. I am a commercial operator and have a lot of experience so if any new pilots want to get together and i can show them some things. Also We all know living in the vancouver area there is a lot of airtraffic and airports so please all be responsible and think twice about where we fly. Drones dont get a lot of good press up here and we dont want to give them any fodder

Hey. PLease please please do not fly at stanley park. It is absolutley off limits without contacting harbour tower. It is highly restricted airspace. We fly at the lionsgate twice commercially and it is very strict on when where and how you can fly. Its best left alone, as beautiful as it is
When using the Hover app it shows that the park is outside of the NFZ. I have also seen at least three other drone pilots flying in the park in the past few months.
As a new drone pilot it is absolutely boggling to try figure out where to fly or not fly. There is so much conflicting information.

When using the Hover app it shows that the park is outside of the NFZ. I have also seen at least three other drone pilots flying in the park in the past few months.
As a new drone pilot it is absolutely boggling to try figure out where to fly or not fly. There is so much conflicting information.
If you see people flying there then you should inform them not too. Transport canada handed out a $5000 fine to a drone pilot the was flying there. Harbour air comes in right over top of the tree line and over the bridge. It is absolutley controlled airspace and off limits and not worth the Risk. Go to a pilot store and you can but the maps to refference and they show all airstrips and heliports. The airspace is really congested in Vancouver but with some common sense and being responsible where you fly, you shouldn't have a problem. But please dont fly at stanley park regardless of height.

If you are just learning, go to riverway park in south burnaby. it is huge and I have flown there for years with fixed wing and drones. quite a few others fly there as well

If you see people flying there then you should inform them not too. Transport canada handed out a $5000 fine to a drone pilot the was flying there. Harbour air comes in right over top of the tree line and over the bridge. It is absolutley controlled airspace and off limits and not worth the Risk. Go to a pilot store and you can but the maps to refference and they show all airstrips and heliports. The airspace is really congested in Vancouver but with some common sense and being responsible where you fly, you shouldn't have a problem. But please dont fly at stanley park regardless of height.

If you are just learning, go to riverway park in south burnaby. it is huge and I have flown there for years with fixed wing and drones. quite a few others fly there as well

Thanks for this information and for your guidance.

I'm an Alberta pilot, but love flying in BC. I took my Phantom 2 Vision to Mount Robson the other day and planned on getting some shots around the info center, but after about 10 minutes of flying, I heard someone yelling at me that I couldn't fly there. I landed and had a chat with the Head Park Ranger, an old friend of mine. Apparently, BC Parks has a secret "No Drone" rule. Has anyone seen any mention online about not flying in BC provincial parks? I certainly can't find any info about it.

Mount Robson Visitor Center, Cafe, and gas station.

Quatsino Lodge

I'm an Alberta pilot, but love flying in BC. I took my Phantom 2 Vision to Mount Robson the other day and planned on getting some shots around the info center, but after about 10 minutes of flying, I heard someone yelling at me that I couldn't fly there. I landed and had a chat with the Head Park Ranger, an old friend of mine. Apparently, BC Parks has a secret "No Drone" rule. Has anyone seen any mention online about not flying in BC provincial parks? I certainly can't find any info about it.

Mount Robson Visitor Center, Cafe, and gas station.

Quatsino Lodge

Yes national parks and provincial parks are no fly zones in most countries. If you were deep in the park I wouldn't be too worried about it but flying outside of a busy tourism center doesn't surprise me that they shut you down

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes national parks and provincial parks are no fly zones in most countries. If you were deep in the park I wouldn't be too worried about it but flying outside of a busy tourism center doesn't surprise me that they shut you down

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I've searched high and low and can't find any mention of drones being prohibited in BC Parks. As you can see in the photo, there was no one around the busy closed tourism center(November). I live in a national park, so am well aware that drones are not allowed in any of Canada's national parks. I can certainly understand why drones are prohibited in parks, but when people are running around proclaiming that you can't fly here, they really need to be able to back themselves up with some factual information.

New P3S owner (Long time RC/FPV/UAV pilot) out in the Fraser Valley. Just checking in and I know some great spots to fly out here in Abbotsford/Chilliwack.

I'm from Maple Ridge, ! received a Phantom 3 pro from my wife! looks like fun!!

Last edited:

All Alberta Parks are as well. I thought I would be responsible and check in with Park Ranger office in Kannaskis and told them where I wanted to fly. The location was was a popular OHV approved area, I was told absolutely not. Drones might scare the wildlife.. Hmm and the roaring quads and 4x4s don't bother them?????
I was told there is no current legislation ( August 2016) but they are currently reviewing it.

Tons of non-infomation from these people.

new guy just bought a P3P today and live in Mission, always good to find others close by

new guy in Maple Ridge. Just bought the P3S. Still searching for good places to fly, getting up to speed on things etc.

Lol! I still haven't flown mine yet! Been so busy,Anyone who wants to meet up call me,Dwayne @778-840-9752

Reactions: alame

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl