Battery usage ??

Due to the poor weather over here at the moment, I only managed a quick test between P and S mode over a 2 Klm round trip.
P mode used 8% battery out and back - 2 Klms 50 kph
S mode used 12% battery out and back - 2 Klms 70 kph
Both modes were in identical conditions with a variation of 50 or so mtrs on both legs. Not the comparison I wanted to do with similar speeds but the skies are angry at the moment.
Will try again tomorrow if the weather picks up.

Due to the poor weather over here at the moment, I only managed a quick test between P and S mode over a 2 Klm round trip.
P mode used 8% battery out and back - 2 Klms 50 kph
S mode used 12% battery out and back - 2 Klms 70 kph
Both modes were in identical conditions with a variation of 50 or so mtrs on both legs. Not the comparison I wanted to do with similar speeds but the skies are angry at the moment.
Will try again tomorrow if the weather picks up.
Good stuff... will be interesting to see what happens with speeds matched....

I managed another run in both P and S mode over a distance of 1.5 klms, unable to repeat the 2 Klm run of yesterday due to an impending storm.
P mode battery usage - 26% with a reduction in voltage of 0.16V.
S mode battery usage - 20% with a reduction in voltage of 0.1V
Tried to keep a steady 50 kph in both modes so I am a bit surprised at those results, obviously need more tests to get a better sample.

I managed another run in both P and S mode over a distance of 1.5 klms, unable to repeat the 2 Klm run of yesterday due to an impending storm.
P mode battery usage - 26% with a reduction in voltage of 0.16V.
S mode battery usage - 20% with a reduction in voltage of 0.1V
Tried to keep a steady 50 kph in both modes so I am a bit surprised at those results, obviously need more tests to get a better sample.
I'm not surprised mate..... your only going to use extra juice if you take advantage of the additional performance. Maybe if you have another crack fly out at 50km/hr for 30% battery and note the distance (conditions permitting) for both modes on feshly charged packs. The greatest distance wins. Thanks for sharing your results.

A
I'm not surprised mate..... your only going to use extra juice if you take advantage of the additional performance. Maybe if you have another crack fly out at 50km/hr for 30% battery and note the distance (conditions permitting) for both modes on feshly charged packs. The greatest distance wins. Thanks for sharing your results.
Actually that's probably a better idea WRT to running both modes out to 30% and recording the distance. I obviously won't post the distances with the boosted set up I have, for fear of being bashed, but it would be more reliable. The rubbish weather over here looks like clearing and is heading your way, so fingers crossed.

Right another update on P vs S mode for battery vs distance.
Very calm conditions.
Speed 50 kph +/- 5 kph
P mode - battery 30% 0.08V distance 5700 mtrs
S mode - battery 30% 0.08V distance 4890 mtrs
Contradicts yesterday's test, but I suspect wind may have been a factor as today was dead calm. OA turned off and particular attention spent on maintaining a constant speed. From previous experiences my long distance runs have always been in P Mode at 50 kph for the best results as I would need to make some allowances for maintaining correct heading in S mode due to the sensitive nature of the controls.

Right another update on P vs S mode for battery vs distance.
Very calm conditions.
Speed 50 kph +/- 5 kph
P mode - battery 30% 0.08V distance 5700 mtrs
S mode - battery 30% 0.08V distance 4890 mtrs
Contradicts yesterday's test, but I suspect wind may have been a factor as today was dead calm. OA turned off and particular attention spent on maintaining a constant speed. From previous experiences my long distance runs have always been in P Mode at 50 kph for the best results as I would need to make some allowances for maintaining correct heading in S mode due to the sensitive nature of the controls.
In my experience with the P4P, I get the best flight time, battery life, and distance covered using OA turned on in P mode, with full throttle, as that pegs the speed at 30mph without wind, with no effort on my part. It's also a good gauge of any headwind, as you will see the speed drop below 30mph in direct proportion to the head wind. However, it does throttle the downwind speed to 30mph, as well. So, my results are consistent with your results, as well.

In my experience with the P4P, I get the best flight time, battery life, and distance covered using OA turned on in P mode, with full throttle, as that pegs the speed at 30mph without wind, with no effort on my part. It's also a good gauge of any headwind, as you will see the speed drop below 30mph in direct proportion to the head wind. However, it does throttle the downwind speed to 30mph, as well. So, my results are consistent with your results, as well.
Agreed, the difference in distance I believe was due to me trying to make a number of corrections and at one point thinking of a #gofundme page when it strayed a 100 mtrs off course and watching it 'bite' as I brought it back into line.
Surprised you get those results with OA turned on as I had a recent experience with the app upgrade where I could not get over 30kph with it turned on. Maybe it's some sort of parallel universe/solar flare/air density thing down here in the bush.

Agreed, the difference in distance I believe was due to me trying to make a number of corrections and at one point thinking of a #gofundme page when it strayed a 100 mtrs off course and watching it 'bite' as I brought it back into line.
Surprised you get those results with OA turned on as I had a recent experience with the app upgrade where I could not get over 30kph with it turned on. Maybe it's some sort of parallel universe/solar flare/air density thing down here in the bush.
The P4P, unlike the P4, supports 30mph with OA turned on. On the P4, it's limited to 22mph. Whenever I see the P4P limited to 22 mph, I hover and resume full throttle to get back to 30mph. I think the precise landing mode and the safe landing mode take some photos of the landing area that limit the initial takeoff speed, and it then doesn't release it properly, so I keep those fancy landing features modes off. I'm going to handcatch anyway!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
The P4P, unlike the P4, supports 30mph with OA turned on. On the P4, it's limited to 22mph. Whenever I see the P4P limited to 22 mph, I hover and resume full throttle to get back to 30mph. I think the precise landing mode and the safe landing mode take some photos of the landing area that limit the initial takeoff speed, and it then doesn't release it properly, so I keep those fancy landing features modes off. I'm going to handcatch anyway!
Cheers for that, I should have known that but was caught up at the time with the the whole app/firmware conspiracy and lacked my better judgement. Looking at a P4P and would have purchased one recently but trashed a set of tyres on my superbike at a track day event. Priorities at the moment...

Cheers for that, I should have known that but was caught up at the time with the the whole app/firmware conspiracy and lacked my better judgement. Looking at a P4P and would have purchased one recently but trashed a set of tyres on my superbike at a track day event. Priorities at the moment...
Bummer on trashing the tyres on your superbike! Sounds like a temporary cash flow problem. Win the next event with the new tyres and buy yourself a P4P with the purse money!:D

Reactions: tevek
Bummer on trashing the tyres on your superbike! Sounds like a temporary cash flow problem. Win the next event with the new tyres and buy yourself a P4P with the purse money!:D
I'm hearing you, BMW S1000RR spinning up the rear tyre in 3rd gear is a recipe for failure.... The wife is sympathetic, so I'm still in with a chance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West