Battery usage ??

Reaction score
I have a simple question regarding battery usage % in different modes do you cover more ground in P-mode or in Sport- mode if you flew in identical conditions , P-mode is slower but uses less vs Sport mode faster but uses more..

There a pile of threads on here regarding that question. Consensus and my own experience is to sit at 50 kph in P mode and I get more consistent range. Sports mode is quicker but I end up using more battery % trying to keep it in a straight line and hence less distance. BTW I have the voltage icon up on the app as its more of an indication as to what the battery life is rather than the %.

Reactions: With The Birds
I have a simple question regarding battery usage % in different modes do you cover more ground in P-mode or in Sport- mode if you flew in identical conditions , P-mode is slower but uses less vs Sport mode faster but uses more..

Of course

Is there anything in life that doesn't deplete more resources when you've increased output?

Of course

Is there anything in life that doesn't deplete more resources when you've increased output?
Yes..... maximum distance with a DJI phantom is one example.

For the phantom 3 airframe maximum distance for any given battery consumption is just shy of 14ms.

As to the OP question with impact of various flight modes. It should not make much noticeable difference between P of sport mode (the GPS is always active and any power used by OA sensors would be negligible as a percentage of total power, it might be thay like the GPS where they remain active it's just that their output is not relied on by the flight controller in some modes).

As to the OP question with impact of various flight modes. It should not make much noticeable difference between P of sport mode (the GPS is always active and any power used by OA sensors would be negligible as a percentage of total power, it might be thay like the GPS where they remain active it's just that their output is not relied on by the flight controller in some modes).

GPS has no relation to sport mode.

Neither does OA. At least not necessarily.
But actually, OA may also reduce battery life if , for example, dji wants to state/claim that 'we offer OA EVEN IN SPORT MODE' - as a way of being competitive. Then, the sensors would require more power to emit/receive obstacle data at a faster rate in sport mode.

Sport mode is simply more voltage to the motors.

Assessing 'how much' is subjective.
I fly occasionally or casually or have a stable full of batteries - additional power consumption haslittle impact to me

I am traveling by motorbike, I can't carry many batteries , I won't have access to a power outlet for days - additional power consumption is imperative to me

See, subjective.

Does it use more battery in sport mode ?
Definitely.

How much more?
Easy to tell. Either monitor voltage drop.
Or measure amperage/volt with a volt meter.

Is sport mode efficient?
I don't know. Should be. This is dji's 4th iteration of the phantom.

The fact you can see your position on the map demonstrates that GPS is active in sport mode.

I suggested the OA sensors may remain active in sport mode, to the extent they do or don't is largely irrelevant as the power consumption is likely insignificant compared to the power required by the propulsion system.

Sport mode is not simply more voltage to the motors, it is a flight mode that allows greater pitch angles therefore the potential for higher speeds. At a given speed the motor power required will be the same regardless if flight mode.

Voltage drop is an unreliable means of determining power consumption. While volts and amps will provide for an easy calculation of power at a particular time the most convenient and reliable means to ascertain efficiency, having regard to the OP's question, is to look at mah consumed for a given distance having regard to airspeed as the variable of interest.

I remain confident airspeed will prove to be the determinate factor regardless of flight mode which will likely provide an insignificant contribution.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
There a pile of threads on here regarding that question. Consensus and my own experience is to sit at 50 kph in P mode and I get more consistent range. Sports mode is quicker but I end up using more battery % trying to keep it in a straight line and hence less distance. BTW I have the voltage icon up on the app as its more of an indication as to what the battery life is rather than the %.
OK thanks I didn't search before posting , how does showing battery life differ/benefit you over showing %

The fact you can see your position on the map demonstrates that GPS is active in sport mode.

I suggested the OA sensors may remain active in sport mode, to the extent they do or don't is largely irrelevant as the power consumption is likely insignificant compared to the power required by the propulsion system.

Sport mode is not simply more voltage to the motors, it is a flight mode that allows greater pitch angles therefore the potential for higher speeds. At a given speed the motor power required will be the same regardless if flight mode.

Voltage drop is an unreliable means of determining power consumption. While volts and amps will provide for an easy calculation of power at a particular time the most convenient and reliable means to ascertain efficiency, having regard to the OP's question, is to look at mah consumed for a given distance having regard to airspeed as the variable of interest.

I remain confident airspeed will prove to be the determinate factor regardless of flight mode which will likely provide an insignificant contribution.
I recall reading if you disable OA in Sport mode the advertised top speed can then be reached which is about 1/3 more then in P mode which is quite a jump..

1- The fact you can see your position on the map demonstrates that GPS is active in sport mode.

2- I suggested the OA sensors may remain active in sport mode, to the extent they do or don't is largely irrelevant as the power consumption is likely insignificant compared to the power required by the propulsion system.

3- Sport mode is not simply more voltage to the motors, it is a flight mode that allows greater pitch angles therefore the potential for higher speeds. At a given speed the motor power required will be the same regardless if flight mode.

4- Voltage drop is an unreliable means of determining power consumption. While volts and amps will provide for an easy calculation of power at a particular time the most convenient and reliable means to ascertain efficiency, having regard to the OP's question, is to look at mah consumed for a given distance having regard to airspeed as the variable of interest.

5- I remain confident airspeed will prove to be the determinate factor regardless of flight mode which will likely provide an insignificant contribution.

1- I didnt say GPS is inactive in sport mode. But GPS won't affect battery life by switching to sport mode.

2-/3 I realize sport mode is not only power to motors. I know it involves pitch and even sensitivity to pitch is affected. Meaning to change pitch in sport mode by , say , 2 degrees, will consume more power than changing 2 degrees of degree in regular mode.
And I disagree with you, more voltage is required to be in sport mode as you require more wattage to gain the "sport mode" feel.

4- Why is voltage drop unreliable to determining power ?
Look at mAh ? That means look at amperage.
Better yet, look at watt or watt hours. Thats ideal. Better than volt/amperage.

5- what is airspeed? Its it the outcome of wattage exerted.

Are we really discussing if sport mode uses more battery? Thats utterly beyond elementary.

OP wants to know if sport mode will consume more battery.
Yes it will.

For the purpose of determining efficiency, as proposed by the OP's question (battery consumption for various modes), mah taken from the battery is readily available and provides the most reliable indicator for any test you might perform.

Sport mode has the potential to consume more power in a given time period, yes, simply because it allows the AC to be driven harder to attain higher speeds.

Consider what the outcome is if you fly at a constant 14ms in P or sport modes. You will see little if any difference in energy consumed. The Movidius SOC only consumes less than 1w, the sensor contribution on top of that will be negligible to the total power consumed (assuming the sensors are not powered when disabled) as the propulsion system is the greatest contributor.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Generally speaking faster speeds are less efficient due to increased air resistance. This is why most Hybrid vehicles get better MPG in town than highway.
On the otherhand the Phantom IS using much of it's battery just to stay aloft, so it may have an advantage going faster.
This doesn't answer the question, just some thoughts.

Generally speaking faster speeds are less efficient due to increased air resistance. This is why most Hybrid vehicles get better MPG in town than highway.
On the otherhand the Phantom IS using much of it's battery just to stay aloft, so it may have an advantage going faster.
This doesn't answer the question, just some thoughts.
You are spot on. Greatest distance for a given battery usage has been demonstrated to be attained flying just under 14ms for the phantom airframe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan