Battery Stress Test?

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any stress tests to see the health of the battery?

Yes I have, but I was thinking of something that put it through some tests to see how it reacted under heavy load.

If you had a accurate scale the Phantom could sit on would be good. Measure the weigh of Phantom. Fix the quad to scale platform. Fire up Phantom until it is lifting the Phantom weight and see how long the battery will last. I have a digital scale so it's easy for me to do.

N017RW said:
Review this page about LiPo 'health' testing and evaluation:

That was a very informative video. If you watch the entire video, near the end he shows the effect of temperature on the battery performance. The change from 76 degrees to 36 degrees is startling with internal resistance tripling! Goes a long way in explaining why batteries give premature low-voltage warnings under heavy load in cold weather.

Dirty Bird said:
N017RW said:

That was a very informative video the guy posted. If you watch the entire video, near the end he shows the effect of temperature on the battery performance. The change from 76 degrees to 36 degrees is startling with internal resistance tripling! Goes a long way in explaining why the batteries give premature low-voltage warnings under heavy load in cold weather.

Yes it was, thanks for the share N017RW!

My pleasure gents.
It's the least I can do to 'give back' here!

Edit: typo

Monte55 said:
If you had a accurate scale the Phantom could sit on would be good. Measure the weigh of Phantom. Fix the quad to scale platform. Fire up Phantom until it is lifting the Phantom weight and see how long the battery will last. I have a digital scale so it's easy for me to do.

Very interesting idea! So if you throttle up till scale reads 0, that is lifting its weight, or equiv lift/work of level hovering.....

Going to negative drone's weight means it is equiv of accelerating up with 2G.

I am VERY interested in knowing what full throttle lift capability of the phantom vision 2+ ver 3 is: what is max pounds you can get? what is max you can sustain?

Since my scale is digital, I can zero it at any time. The platon is about 12 inch square. I can put the quad on, tie it down...zero it ...give full throttle and see how much it will lift. You won't be picking up pounds

N017RW said:

http://flitetest.com/articles/LiPo_Batt ... ce_Testing

The accuracy of this spreadsheet is very dependent on the state of charge (SOC) at the time of the test; you will find results vary ---amount may not be right over 3-4x - but it does vary -- depending on SOC. Unless I missed something, it should clearly state that the battery MUST be fresh off a 100% charge before using the results.

As example, I could watch my lipo full EV car bat resistance change this amount depending on charge, and that with one of the worlds most advanced BMS systems.

Otherwise, this is a great spreadsheet! internal resistance is a great indicator of battery health.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl