Battery setup for storage

Ah, got it.

The "storage mode" switch is designed to discharge or charge (depending on the current battery level) the battery until it reaches the storage level. As far as I know, it does not trickle charge the battery after that point.

It's most useful if you want to charge batteries up to the storage level after flying. I don't use that mode to discharge batteries. Instead, I let them auto discharge on their own.

Ah, got it.

The "storage mode" switch is designed to discharge or charge (depending on the current battery level) the battery until it reaches the storage level. As far as I know, it does not trickle charge the battery after that point.

It's most useful if you want to charge batteries up to the storage level after flying. I don't use that mode to discharge batteries. Instead, I let them auto discharge on their own.

So the hub does charge/ discharge to storage level once. You have to remove and replace battery on hub to charge/discharge battery again if batteries are -/+ storage level.

So the hub does charge/ discharge to storage level once.

Well it will discharge to storage level itself without the charger so may better be described as able charge to storage level.

I don't do this either, but you could also attach the battery to the DJI charging hub (even if it's not plugged in) while in storage mode, turn on the battery, and the battery will auto turn off once it has reached the storage mode.

Again though, it's all a bit overkill. Just let the batteries auto discharge on their own. There's no need to try get them down to the storage level ASAP.

If the hub does NOT trickle charge the batteries, wouldn't it be better for the batteries to be charges to 100% then just leave them alone ????? If the drop below 2 bars (in 5 months) charge them again.

wouldn't it be better for the batteries to be charges to 100% then just leave them alone?
If you're charging them up to put them into storage, you only need to charge them to the storage level. If you charge them beyond that, they will start to auto discharge down to the storage level within 10 days (at the max). So, there would be no benefit to charging them to 100%.

As a matter of fact, the longer they spend at full charge sitting the worse it is for their lifespan. LiPo batteries develop leak paths between plates during full charge storage, repeated charge and store time can reduce a battery to a paperweight over time. Not a good practice.

If you use your AC on a weekly basis, life is sweet and your lipos will love you!! :)

If you plan to leave your batteries on the shelf for an extended period (>10 weeks) then...

Managing your batteries will be a PITA and you risk bricking them if you don''t take care!
- Lipo's like regular exercise to ensure they have a long life
- Charge cycles seem to effect longevity
- You need to keep the charge between 25% and 62% for long term storage (table below)
- Don't let the charge get below 12% for too long
- You need to deep cycle every now and then, not just a top up

So whats the safest battery management plan?

batterylevel-png.66444

It is not uncommon to order new batteries and receive it DOA. DJI package there batteries in sealed boxes. If they dont open it and check for charge levels when shipping to you then you could receive it DOA. You never know how long tthe batteries been in storage. Batteries are made and shipped from China I am assuming. It takes atleast a month to get to USA by ship.

Well! Thanks Msinger!
U da maan!!!
All of my batteries are safely in storage mode! 2 lites solid, 1 blinking! As you indicated, they must remain for the allotted period of time, to discharge to storage level, and did not heat up while enclosed in my backpack!
Thanks again!

I really like the DJI hub. By the way it’s much cheaper on Amazon then it is from the DJI store. Anyway after flying, I put my batteries in the storage mode and it charges them up to 50 to 60%. Then shuts off. I don’t leave them in the hub after that. Of course it’s also nice for charging using the hub as when one battery is done it switches to the next battery to charge it. The best $49.97 i’ve spent related to my P4P.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72