Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery life percentage

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by arcaine25, May 12, 2016.

1. arcaine25

I've searched and searched, and I've found "sort of" answers, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.
    I uploaded my first flight logs ever to healthy drones. I've been flying a while, and phantoms for well over a year, just never needed to use HD. I looked at the cool features, and saw the battery stuff. I noticed what I thought was my battery that came with my P3 advanced (it wasn't, it was the one that came with my standard), showing 98% life remaing. It only hado 10 total recharges! So naturally I obsessed and popped it into the bird, fired up the good app, and yup, 98% (using 2.8 on androi7, just fyi)

I tried to deep cycle it, then charge, then flet it, then charged again... well, today, after charge cycle 12, I'm now at 97%.

Is this a bad battery? Is this just normal behavior? Cell variation is negligible, they're typical all the same except for when it dischargestarts and changes one at a time e, then they all lign up again.

Should I be extra cautious with this battery? My phantom 4 batteries are at 8 - 11 cycles (depending on which one) and they're 100% still....

Any advice or better understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. arcaine25

Well, I think I answered my own question. It appears to be how it's calculated. It doesn't matter i guess how you treat your batteries (I'm extremely **** about discharge %, heat, rotation etc), but after xx amount of charges it'll dwindle the life % by xx..... I'm probably worrying for nothing, right?

3. mikekilroy1074

Yes. It is an arithmatic calc not effected by battery capacity. It uses a set max no of charges for 100% compared to ur no charges nothing more.

arcaine25 likes this.
  4. Digdat0

I dunno man .. I've charged one of my batteries 62 times, it still shows 100% health on the battery. I haven't ever done anything special to it, I just charge it when its less than 100% and use it every few days. I've never cycled it, stored it or really done anything. They say for the first 10 flights to power to only 50-60% then recharge, MEHHH .. i took that sucker down till it was low, recharged it. I even charge my batteries when they are warm still post flight. Not bragging, but saying I'm pretty hard on them and if anyone should have <100% life, its me .. but after 62 charges, still 100% health. Here's a HD from 2 days ago showing this battery health and 62 charges: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

5. arcaine25

I wonder if being an inspire is the difference in yours?

6. Digdat0

It's actually a phantom 3 pro. After Dji returned it from being fixed, the name is jacked up and there is no way to change the name.

edit: i checked another battery (which i crashed and killed) and 19 charges it says 100% battery life. You say that its a year old, how are you storing the battery when not using?

#6 Digdat0, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. coo-coo-copter

can you fly p4 using rechargeable AAz ? with DIY setup

8. Digdat0

No, you cannot. DJI locked out 3rd party batteries in the firmware a few updates ago, so we have to use the DJI brand ones.

coo-coo-copter likes this.
  9. arcaine25

Storage is in the 35 - 40% range. Have done 1 deep cycle, that was the other day after noticing the lower % life. The other battery is 3 months old, 10 charges, now 98% life. It's the algorithm apparently. Most people seem to be experiencing it, weird you're not.

10. arcaine25

Should also note that the batteries didn't hit 98% life until 10 charges, and both with 10 charges are at 98%, one being from August last year, the other is the one no more than 3 months old. Which is never over discharged, or stored full

11. coo-coo-copter

thats soo SHYT, but then i guess its Apple we talking bout here, another trick to make money i suppose... (thats why nevr bothered with Iphones everrr.. ) + awkward and pricey