Battery failsafe?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a total of 8 Phantom batteries and my Phantom gives me low battery while these are still at 60%. I could only fly with dual batteries and hero3 for less than 5 minutes before I get low batt warning. Is this normal?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fpena06 said:
Mind pointing me out to the recommended settings used by most.

Thanks

In the Naza Assistant go to Advanced Tab, then Voltage sub-tab. It will indicate the resting voltage of your battery. If you check your battery voltage with a meter prior to this, and the voltage in the assistant does not match what your meter says, then you can click the Calibrate button and enter the voltage your meter indicated.

fpena06 said:
Mind pointing me out to the recommended settings used by most.

Thanks

It really depends on your batteries so I'd do the testing yourself and set your own limits.

You state that they have 60% left? - Is that 60% of the full Mah of the lipo or 60% of the safe to use mah (1760mah for a 2200 batt)?

Assuming you are working on say a 2200 mah then you have 1760mah useable power (2200 x 0.8). If you are putting back 700mah then you have 60% left to use.

I would just adjust the settings by lowering them 0.2v at a time until you are putting back about 1550-1600mah. Try not to go more than that (it leaves you 6% useable left for autoland).

I could, or others could, tell you to use my settings but my batterys could be better or worse than yours and that could either puff your batts or mean you are not using everything you need for the longest flight.

I'm only now just getting into my battery failsafe levels, it's kinda tricky stuff!

Are you using a digital charger and/or cell checker?

My fancy cell checker also would say "60%" after having complete a flight, which always had me confused, but I've leaned to pretty much just use it as an indication if the battery is charged or not.
the most important is what level the cells are at, what the total voltage is, and then how many mah you are sending back into the battery after a flight. As mentioned, if it's under 1750, you should be ok.
as for cell levels, I've heard it's ideal to never go below 3.5v a cell.

I've recently been changing my battery failsafe levels lower, as I'm flying a rather heavy Phantom and it seemed to want to self-land pretty quick!@.
I changed my levels to 11.3/ .6 / 10.70 for first level protection
and 11.15/.6/10.55 for 2nd level protection.
and noticed a significantly improved flight time while still not sucking out more than 1750mah from the battery.
So I'm rather happy.

I also changed my levels to 11.3/ .6 / 10.70 for first level protection and 11.15/.6/10.55 for 2nd level protection. I saw an additional 1.5 to 2 mins. of additional flight time. I was having trouble getting my Phantom back to me before the fail save landing kicked in but have had no problems since I made the change.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl