Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery Charging Advice

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Mike2015, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mike2015

Hi I am very new to all this and have flown my P2 for the first time and it was excellent.

What I would like to know is when do I charge my battery. It currently still has 2 green lights showing. Do I

1. run it down completely,

2. run it down to 1 green light or

3 just recharge it fully from where it is.

I will not be flying until next weekend so not sure what to do. I want to preserve the battery life so would appreciate any advice on best charging method.

Thank you in anticipation.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. rockydog

As a general rule, try not to run your batteries down to less than25/30% when flying.

For storage, they should be around 50%, so just leave your battery as it is at the moment and fully charge before you next fly.

3. yorlik

I would recommend to fly, enjoy, then put your battery away in its flame proof container (mine is a 30cal ammo can) when done until next flight. Issue is you do NOT want to charge and leave it near 100% capacity for more than a day/couple days.

You also do not want to charge it and them immediately fly; give it a couple hours to cool down before flying.

Lastly, know that if you fly it down to 25/30% each time as some suggest, you are cutting your battery life easily in half.

Lipos can almost last forever if never discharged this low. If you can accept flying 5-8 minutes at a time, you should stay above 40% easy. The lower you consistently discharge, the shorter the overall life.

Stathis likes this.