Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery And Multiple Flights

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by AP4me, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AP4me

I'm a little confused on something. I keep seeing posts that mention not starting a flight if your battery is under 70% or 60% because you can have problems. Is this true?

I'm not talking long flights but if I program a mission in Litchi as and example, and it's a 5 minute flight and I decided to go inside review and make some changes...I should now recharge everything to full capacity again before flying the 5 minute mission again?

If that's that case, it would be a pain in the "out in the field" to do that.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. Erroll

Many here will say yes, you have to recharge.
    However, I have done , and still do, what you described all the time without issue. Just ensure that when you take off with a 60% battery to NOT go full throttle up or out. Take it easy and fly gently. This is a camera platform, not a hotrod.

dirtybum likes this.
  3. CactusJackSlade

+1 on that me too.... many times if I know I'm going to be short on batteries I will go shoot what I need to, land , go to next site, then shoot again on same battery - just use caution and be conservative on your 2nd flight

4. Mark The Droner

Yes, tons and tons of threads on this. Hundreds of posts. Lots of opinions. My take:

The short answer is you should fully charge.

The longer answer is, it's probably okay (as in 99% okay) to fly on a partially charged battery provided you do it on the same day. The thing you want to avoid is flying on a battery that has been in a partially discharged state for more than a day and has initiated it's auto-discharge.

5. AP4me

Oh! That makes A LOT of sense!

I was trying to figure out if I flew a mission for 5 minutes, landed and reviewed the footage, then decided to fly another 2 minute mission how that would be more dangerous from a battery perspective than flying for 14 minutes.

It was a bit frustrating to think of having to come home after a 2 minute flight to top off the battery to take another 2 minute flight that same day.

Am I understanding this right?

Thanks!

#5 AP4me, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. Mark The Droner

Yes ;)

7. Mark The Droner

You also want to be sure you have the most recent battery firmware update.

8. ferraript

Not only percentage, but also voltage is important.
    Because those percentage readings can be very misleading. Read this.