Balancing Phantom Props?

Reaction score
In my post about extending battery life one of the responders indicated that the stock DJI props are not properly balanced and that balancing them will help provide better flight characteristics and perhaps extend battery life. I went looking at the links for a couple of the products used to balance the props but couldn't figure out how the actual "balancing" is done. I understood that the props would freely rotate around the axis - much like balancing a tire - but what balances them as the kits gave no indication on how that is accomplished?
Also have others also felt the need to balance their props? Any advise/gotchas?
Thanks for any help!

You can add some lightweight Scotch tape to the light side of carefully sand the heavy side.

You'll find mixed reviews. You CAN fly with props that are slightly off balance, but balancing them will make things easier on your motors.

RCRobman, most people either remove some of the heavy side with sandpaper or add clear Scotch tape to the light side. I use Scotch tape myself.

pb7424 said:
I use a heavy tin can to check balance on mine.
That would work just fine too as long as the can is level. And, you would of course have to watch that the balancing rod does not roll off the can :cool:

If anyone else wants to go this route, you'll just need a prop balancing rod -- like this one.

Last edited:
Once again thanks to all for the speedy replies!
I have ordered a prop balancing rod and will make sure that all my props are balanced!
Great forum!

Clear nail varnish at the tips works really well and allows very small adjustments, plus there's no risk of the prop's air foil being prejudiced by sanding any surfaces. Model aircraft prop balances are cheap and easy to obtain.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl