Autopilot doesn't know where my device is??

Reaction score
I fly my P3A using a wi-fi only iPad Mini 2. Somehow Autopilot seems to think my iPad is a few hundred feet from where it actually is. Do you have the same problem? Do maybe my iPad doesn't have a GPS? UPDATE: I found this article, and am reading it... ADD GPS TO YOUR iPAD 2 WiFi

Now that I've skimmed through some material on add-on GPS devices, I learned that some such devices just aren't compatible with certain application programs. How would I know which device to get? Do you have any experience with such devices, or do you know of a better solution?

Somewhere in the house I have an old Garmin GPS receiver for Windows that plugs into a standard USB port, but I don't even know if that could be made to work with a modern iPad.

Last edited:
So, try it and find out. It won't hurt anything to test it.
It will either work, or it will not. Let us know. Ha

I use an iPad Air 2 Cellular, so not my interest, but there's plenty of others who chose a WiFi only iPad.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Aircraft will only know your home point and will generate all references wrt it. As your iPad as no GPS, none will be able to locate you.

Only had my P3P for less than a week, I have a IPAD mini2 Wi-Fi model. I have been using a DUAL XGPS150a Bluetooth GPS receiver for few years with my IPAD for mapping programs. I've just successfully used it with my P3P and follow me function work perfect.

Reactions: Mo of Pocatello
Only had my P3P for less than a week, I have a IPAD mini2 Wi-Fi model. I have been using a DUAL XGPS150a Bluetooth GPS receiver for few years with my IPAD for mapping programs. I've just successfully used it with my P3P and follow me function work perfect.

OK, let me search for that GPS then. Thanks!

There's another possibility I just thought of... I have an Android phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4. Can I use the phone as an external GPS that sends wifi signals to the iPad? I mean, I like flying with the iPad because of the big screen. Also, the Galaxy S4 is too slow for some applications like the DJI GO, I think.

This is it, I think! Bluetooth GPS Output - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl