Auto RTH

Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking of disabling this feature because I feel it is better to have the control all the time. How many of you have it disabled or maintain this feature on? Lately had read of many auto land problems. If I disable the auto RTH it will also avoid the auto land? Thanks

I definately will not be disabling a fail safe system such as RTH.

Get a GPS tracker, too.

phantomi said:
No. I'm talking about the auto RTH with a low battery limit.

I agree the low battery RTH is a questionable feature, but I can see why it is done.

If the pilot is not aware of the first threshold and they fly until the second one cuts in, then the craft will autoland where it is. If that is over a woodland or a lake it might get tricky even though you have some control, time is against you.

I would have preferred an audio alarm when the first threshold is crossed. Instead my options are nothing or RTH.

Reluctantly I stick with RTH for low battery.

phantomi said:
Hi. I'm thinking of disabling this feature because I feel it is better to have the control all the time. How many of you have it disabled or maintain this feature on? Lately had read of many auto land problems. If I disable the auto RTH it will also avoid the auto land? Thanks
RTH only gives 'perseved problems' because people are suprised by it and startd unecesary handlings. Peolple should read the manual and should know the setting their bird is in. Further, once RTH kicks in people should allow the bird to do for what it is programmed ...or ... switch s1 down and up again and take controle themselfs.
regards FA

I disabled the low battery RTH for one simple reason what if it under something when it reaches that threshold. With mini iOSD and FPV I know what the voltage is and if the unit is in the clear and I need to use RTH I can with the flick of a switch.

Auto RTH is completely blind and has no idea what obstacles could be between the Phantom and home.
If you have auto RTH enabled you have to always consider what could go wrong in an RTH situation.
I think it's better to switch it off and be in full control rather than have it attempt to come home someday through a tree when you've forgotten all about auto RTH.
When/if I get into a low battery situation, I can pilot my Phantom home better and faster than RTH will.

I currently dont have IOSD so I use low battery RTH. I would be happier switching this off when I get my IOSD fitted.

Apart from the percentage battery level, does the mini IOSD provide any indication that it passed into low or critical battery states ?

Hughie said:
Apart from the percentage battery level, does the mini IOSD provide any indication that it passed into low or critical battery states ?

The battery indicator on IOSD starts blinking when it reaches 1st low battery warning.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl