Auto land above 30%?? Scary moment

If you saw full battery at 3.7 V, something is seriously wrong with charging. Full charge should show as 4.25 regardless of temp, when you power up (and then drain a little faster).

What filter you using on those pics?
No filter. Quick uploads.

Will be post edited Sunday or monday

I'm not sure where you saw the 75% rule stated. LiPo's are not harmed in that way. You cannot overcharge the battery, DJI's so-call "battery smarts" won't allow it. They are harmed if left at 85 to 100% charge for weeks, but DJI has you covered there too since the "smarts" will auto discharge the battery to 60%, which is the best level for long term storage (long term, meaning months). I always top my batteries off before I fly. You should too, even if they show 4 LEDs with the check button. And if the charger won't auto-start when 4 LEDs are showing, turn on the battery like it's in the drone. The battery will then "top off". It won't harm the battery.
I'll have to double check the manual. Pretty sure it states don't charge if battery is over 75% and then goes on about its I think 25 charge cycle and how to drain the battery to 5-8%

Did you read the manual or am I just crazy? (I'm going based on memory )

Looked it up. If 75% or greater then it says to power battery on before charging. That's for the phantom 2. The phantom 3 they bumped it up to 95%

Attached is the 75% from the p2 manual.

I was close lol

Still doesn't explain why mine went crazy with battery levels above normal..

Looked it up. If 75% or greater then it says to power battery on before charging. That's for the phantom 2. The phantom 3 they bumped it up to 95%

I was close lol

Still doesn't explain why mine went crazy with battery levels above normal..

pretty much it does
do not take off with a battery at 35% like you did

the % numbers are not exact at lower temps and current draw is more noticeable when battery is low.

simple answer is use a newly charged battery and all is good! it may suck but it is real world .

The manual is showing you how to top off your battery, just like I explain earlier. It doesn't say it's bad to charge a battery at 75 or 95%, it's telling you how to get the charger to engage with the battery to start the charge flow, so it can "top off". It doesn't hurt the battery to charge it at 95% or 96%, but you have to "turn on the battery" in this range to get the charger to engage to top it off.

Reactions: snerd and kirk2579
Reactions: Wacker2611
And again. It's like search does not exist. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you don't have the latest update from DJI 1.6, it specifically addresses the issue of colder weather. I agree great pictures. I live in a hotter climate so not too familiar with your particular problems. I have only heard of the various issues. Good luck.

Low battery warning 30% critical set at 20% (factory defaults I think)
If determined to push it the critical could be set to 15% or even 10% to postpone that emergency descent briefly.
The way these batteries work the first 50% is predictable and can seem to last a long while, as they get near that low point the time taken for one of the cells to get too low is hard to predict.
Most of the time any ambitious flying should be done in the first ten minutes and no need to go much below 50%

Maybe. Yesterday on a full battery it was around 3.7v which I assume due to 10-20 degree temps. I was easy on the sticks to avoid drastic movements.

Flight logs show more detail but when I landed I was at 30% or so. And i read on here if battery gets to 3v it will completely shut off??
Right below 3v per cell and the P3 battery shuts off. When it shuts off, the P3 falls from the sky. Many people have had this issue, there are numerous threads on here.

Just to try to add useful info. During autoland you can still fly quad around as it descends to get it to a clear landing spot, also holding full throttle will hold height to give you a bit more time to get over landing spot. This is in the manual but easily missed.

Some peole just wont listen, dont ever use a battery that is been partially discharged, PERIOD , how hard is that to undestand

Starting to look like a bandwagon in here...

Dogpile ..... Full battery on every flight reduces the likelihood of the auto land. In fact most of the time stories like this don't end with autoland.

Reactions: Cale262
The manual is showing you how to top off your battery, just like I explain earlier. It doesn't say it's bad to charge a battery at 75 or 95%, it's telling you how to get the charger to engage with the battery to start the charge flow, so it can "top off". It doesn't hurt the battery to charge it at 95% or 96%, but you have to "turn on the battery" in this range to get the charger to engage to top it off.

I get that. I posted up proof I was wrong in certain parts of the debate which clearly states what one SHOULD do....??

Reactions: m0j0
Some peole just wont listen, dont ever use a battery that is been partially discharged, PERIOD , how hard is that to undestand

True.

I assume this will apply to the Tesla as well? I kept telling them they needed more charging stations. No they have great range they said. You'll be fine they said..

Then again not many people are awesome enough to drive a Tesla up to Lake Tahoe this time of year!

So here's the flight log data I was able to upload to healthy drones. Also attached is the flight record. I'm unsure yet how to fully read/understand the CVS file to see/tell what my voltage was at. I was able to find the overall voltage never dropped below 13.6v which I assume if there are 4 cells that would put each cell to about 3.4v at its lowest point???

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-03%20at%2012.32.00%20PM_zpsjupmqb83.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-03%20at%2012.32.27%20PM_zpsvqq4ysbh.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-03%20at%2012.32.56%20PM_zpsrufvy29x.png

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-01-02_[17-17-17].txt
    74.5 KB · Views: 297

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member