Autel X-Star Premium, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meta4, on the contrary, YOUR confidence in a Chinese company dictating where you can and cannot fly YOUR drone that YOU paid for in our own country is what any intelligent person would say is confidence misplaced. You may condone and continue to accept the flight limitations placed on your hobby by a Chinese company. I prefer to fly without them. I will always place my confidence in a stable innovative USA company rather than support any thing made in or company from China.
I take it you don't own any cell phones, computers, or other electronic devices.

Reactions: dirkclod and Meta4
Meta4, on the contrary, YOUR confidence in a Chinese company dictating where you can and cannot fly YOUR drone that YOU paid for in our own country is what any intelligent person would say is confidence misplaced. You may condone and continue to accept the flight limitations placed on your hobby by a Chinese company. I prefer to fly without them. I will always place my confidence in a stable innovative USA company rather than support any thing made in or company from China.
Sorry Bubblebutt, my confidence in using DJI equipment is based on experience making hundreds of flights so I know exactly what I can and can't do with it.
I find there are minimal restrictions on what I want to do with my drones and manage quite well with next to no inconvenience.

Your stable innovative USA company rather than support any thing made in or company from China comment supports my comment about your confidence being misplaced.
They have a small US sales and service operation in Washington State: About Us | Autel Robotics
But the parent company is located just down the road from DJI in Shenzhen: Autel Robotics | AMIV Kontakt
Stable? Hmm ... that doesn't go with the layoffs they've been through.
Their US CEO left in June too.
Innovative? ... Their current range is a copy of an old DJI product. There hasn't been any innovation that their customers can buy yet.
They were talking about releasing an SDK a year ago. Still nothing has happened about it.
They announced two new cameras back in January but neither has turned up yet.

So I'll repeat what I said in answer to your original question.
The Autel product might be fine for your needs but the simple answer to your original question is that the Autel drone is not in the same league as The P4 pro and not close to being a good alternative.
It's two generations behind in it's technology.
Your confidence in the company's ability to compete in the drone market is misplaced.

Reactions: dirkclod
OP: "What's your opinion?"
EVERYONE: "Well...:
OP: "WRONG! AUTEL #1"

XSP's and P4P's look similar but are no where near the same UAV. Can you tell the difference between a Boeing and an AIRBUS? Boeing doesn't sue Airbus because their aircraft has two engines, similar shaped winglets, flaps, and ailerons.

Did you even read what I wrote? TRADE DRESS has nothing to do with the guts, it's all about the appearance. (And the looks happen to be the only thing Autel got right LOL.)

For your information... Autel robotics headquarter is in China just like DJI with offices in the US.

Yes macoman, I saw the little red flag next to the USA flag on their website. But this company doesn't have you ship your problem drones to/from China for repair or replacement. And what about the DJI company wide ban of their drones from our military? Not happening at Autel, just DJI.

It would seem DJI has a dedicated customer base. Good for all of you. Also, that Meta4 has the ability to see into the future stating Autel cannot compete with DJI. Well, I won't argue with that kind of foolish mentality.

When I compare what I see and read between Autel and DJI, I like what Autel has done in their short history than what DJI is doing now. I would rather invest my money in an Autel product right now (with their excellent customer support in the USA) than invest in a DJI product right now or in the future. Your mileage may vary. So long everyone. Good luck with DJI and their **** poor customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Autel PXS for about four days. Prior to that I had a P4 for about 10 days. Both from Best Buy and new the P4 was easy to fly and my first drone. It scared me to fly it and because of the cost I traded it for the Autel. The Autel did not fly as nice as the P4 and the dropped signals scared me even more. I took it back after a couple of flights landing this drone was not as easy and it tipped over at every landing. Decided to get a used P4 off craigslist to get over my fear of flying only to have it swatted out of the sky by some swallows.... Any way after a few weeks I decided to get the P4P for the camera and it has been very good to me. Fortunately, I was on this forum and didn't update to lasted firmware after reading many threads about the issues some were having. I purchased litchi and haven't looked back, its a good tool to have waypoints are awesome. Theres really no comparison between Autel Premium X Star and an Phantom 4 they handle very differently. P4P is amazing great camera. I sill have a fear and great respect for this way of seeing the landscape.

I love my Autel. My P4PP was replaced due to a crash on my part but was returned with a broken RC. I flew it a week and it has been in the shop since, since late June. As far as the Autel goes, I love it. Fly it almost everyday. I crashed it twice and repaired it myself. The cool thing I observed was the camera popping off when it crashed. DJI's camera is not removable so if damaged you send everything back for repair. The Autel camera popped off and avoided additional damage during my 2 crashes. One crash was from 100 ft. into an obstacle and fall to ground. I am also looking for Autel's module upgrades - cameras. Should have a 20mp available soon. New firmware is being tested now which improves stability. Only thing I'd like to see from Autel is an A LA Carte availability for all parts and modules. In short, I use the Autel to prep shoots and then plan to use the P4PP to finish for final product.

But this company doesn't have you ship your problem drones to/from China for repair or replacement.

Neither does DJI, unless you bought it in China . . . You can try to spin it however you want, Autel is a Chinese company no different than DJI.

And what about the DJI company wide ban of their drones from our military? Not happening at Autel, just DJI.

Probably because they don't use Autel. TBH, I am surprised they allowed any stock, off-the-shelf drones to be used in the first place.

Also, that Meta4 has the ability to see into the future stating Autel cannot compete with DJI. Well, I won't argue with that kind of foolish mentality..

Thus far, they've been able to produce clones and make announcements that rarely lead to anything.

I like what Autel has done in their short history

Which is what exactly?

Beginning to think this guy is shilling for Autel. In his first post he makes it sound like he just "stumbled" upon the Autel on Amazon and wants opinions. All of a sudden he's an expert on Autel (well not really because he wrong on every fact about this company. KEK).

Anyway, if you hate DJI so much why are you hanging out here. You know, on a DJI forum??? :)

Beginning to think this guy is shilling for Autel. In his first post he makes it sound like he just "stumbled" upon the Autel on Amazon and wants opinions. All of a sudden he's an expert on Autel (well not really because he wrong on every fact about this company. KEK).

Anyway, if you hate DJI so much why are you hanging out here. You know, on a DJI forum??? :)
I think he came here from the Autel forum just to bash and put down DJI. I don't hate Autel drones but DJI is what I purchased in the first place and I have been satisfied with the results. If Autel make the guy happy, good for him. But don't come to a DJI forum to hate everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart