Autel X-Star Premium getting obstacle avoidance and more...

The best thing I've always read about Autel was their great customer service, I wish DJI would realize that they have have a long way to go with theirs, another problem that DJI has which really pisses customers off is that they don't replace a customers defective unit with a brand new one.

My P4 which was only a few weeks old had issues out of the box with poor range where I could only go out about 1500 feet, whereas my previous P3P could easily double and triple that plus the rubber feet on the landing gear skids was falling off.

I sent it to DJI in California, and they sent me back a refurbished unit and they didn't return my box which was sent in as their instructions, I had to open a separate case for them to send my box .

So if Autel can at least match the capabilities of Lightbridge and then have 360 degree sensors along with their improved cameras with dual capability, I think they'll become a serious contender.

I would also love to see them add tracking capabilities to their uas.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: m0j0 and cstout
YouTube's Demunseed always refers to the Autel as being better made than the Phantom 4. I've only seen them through the plexiglass at Best Buy, so I've never fondled one as of yet to get my take. However, it looked like the plastic used may be less prone to cracking.

Also, Demunseed hates DJI's "beer cooler" case while he highly praises Autel's case, especially for the pricepoint of the Autel.

Literally, I want Autel to be chasing "ghosts", thinking DJI will go with retractable LG and 360 deg camera while DJI goes with a larger Mavic Pro design which sports a great new camera.

Reactions: we_lexplore
Autel as being better made than the Phantom 4.
I have a flying mate who has one. Well built, absolutely yes. Better then P4? Hard to say to me there's nothing in it. The case is definitely so much better than DJI's semi cheap offering.

The XSP is a P3P, not P4, competitor as it lacks the collision avoidance features.

Reactions: ftttu
The X Star is modular and although it might be not as good as the P4 having an upgradable camera is awesome. I'm keeping it and will buy the new P4p equivalent camera when it comes out. I already have 3 Phantom 3's and a Mavic that I can go between. I can put them down range with litchi and use the new P4p cam on the XStar for best quality video. Don't have to buy a new bird to do it. That 699 looks pretty good today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm impressed that they've not only delivered on that promise but also managed a FLIR cam as well.

Exactly, don't have to buy a new bird to get a better camera. No product on the market is doing that. Honestly I was getting ready to can it and get a P5p next year. I'm keeping it and waiting to see what happens. I do like that they are standing by their promises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have a US sales company but it's Chinese designed and made.
Am aware of this - but they have made their product(s) officially available to the US market only (ok I get that the main reason is the video frequency spectrum they're using but other companies have no issue designing craft that are usable worldwide). The only site I've seen the X- Star for sale outside the US is on banggood.

Edit: it's on banggood but they don't actually have any stock :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Am aware of this - but they have made their product(s) officially available to the US market only (ok I get that the main reason is the video frequency spectrum they're using but other companies have no issue designing craft that are usable worldwide). The only site I've seen the X- Star for sale outside the US is on banggood.

Edit: it's on banggood but they don't actually have any stock :rolleyes:
Correct, the 900mhz band isn't allowed in many other countries, however the US is more than half of the world drone market. The belief is 900mhz has better penetration than 2.4Ghz. It could be they intended to only sell into the US for some reason, maybe it's a capacity issue.

It could be they intended to only sell into the US for some reason, maybe it's a capacity issue.
Quite possibly. I doubt they'll let on. What's clear is that they've deliberately chosen a technical design path that provides for improved video range but excludes them from other markets.

Who knows, they may eventually release a 2.4GHz version for the ROW if they're super successful in the US. If so let the FCC vs CE comments begin!

Here is a reply I got from Autel today...

"Hey Joshua! Thanks so much for your interest in our product! That drone is a GEN 2 concept and not even a proto-type yet. I would love to say when it will arrive, but we have no dates for release. I would stay tuned to our website and social pages for updates!"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart