Autel X-Star Premium, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have cancelled my order for a new P4P due to the many problems associated with their latest firmware AND primarily DJI's attempts to dictate where we can and cannot fly. Just background info here, I don't wish to debate my decision…

I came across the Autel X-Star Premium on Amazon's website and began some research on this USA based company. It looks like Autel will soon grow to be DJI's competitor with what they have announced at CES trade show this past January: a retractable gear drone with obstacle avoidance and software updates that will compare or exceed what DJI has to offer (now). Their Kestrel VTOL aircraft looks like it will be a HUGE (literally) success with prototype test flights now completed. Specs say two hour flight times, and speeds up to 80 MPH are hard to believe (but this is off topic…).

Anyhow, my question is "does anyone have anything negative to say about the current Autel X-Star Premium drone aircraft?" Is the X-Star Premium a good alternative to the P4P? I am looking for something that has good customer support and a bird that will return home when I want it to or when it has to. Thank to all for voicing your opinions.

I do not have any personal experience with the X-Star Premium, other than a brief encounter. I had taken my P3A to visit a friend in the North Carolina Mountains. He had a neighbor who was a custom RC aircraft builder and flyer, who had just purchased one while on vacation. He already had a Phantom 1, but chose to pick up an X-Star just to try it out. I had been there for a day or so when we walked over to see him. He was still attempting to get the firmware installed. I gave him a few tid-bits of information about the P3 Firmware installation and it finally seemed to load. He took it outside for a quick test flight and the video feed was breaking up within 150ft. He never did get that issue resolved and has since sold it. That is not to say that it would not be a good aircraft, i'm only pointing out that the issues the he had were so very similar to some people with firmware issues on P3's and P4's, that it could be tit for tat in that regard. As I have said before, I am one of those nellies that have only upgrade once and that was last year, and my bird is still flying flawlessly thus far. I refuse to change anything that doesn't need fixing. You will just have to make your own choice.

I have cancelled my order for a new P4P due to the many problems associated with their latest firmware AND primarily DJI's attempts to dictate where we can and cannot fly. Just background info here, I don't wish to debate my decision…

I came across the Autel X-Star Premium on Amazon's website and began some research on this USA based company. It looks like Autel will soon grow to be DJI's competitor with what they have announced at CES trade show this past January: a retractable gear drone with obstacle avoidance and software updates that will compare or exceed what DJI has to offer (now). Their Kestrel VTOL aircraft looks like it will be a HUGE (literally) success with prototype test flights now completed. Specs say two hour flight times, and speeds up to 80 MPH are hard to believe (but this is off topic…).

Anyhow, my question is "does anyone have anything negative to say about the current Autel X-Star Premium drone aircraft?" Is the X-Star Premium a good alternative to the P4P? I am looking for something that has good customer support and a bird that will return home when I want it to or when it has to. Thank to all for voicing your opinions.
Honestly, wait a few more weeks/months for some new releases. If you aren't a DJI fan, one drone company to look into is Atlas Dynamics. Autel has some great drones, and they're constantly working on upgrading their products. Each quadcopter has their own pros and cons, so make sure to do some research before making an investment. Here is a list of the current best drones of 2017 for reference.

Honestly, wait a few more weeks/months for some new releases. If you aren't a DJI fan, one drone company to look into is Atlas Dynamics. Autel has some great drones, and they're constantly working on upgrading their products. Each quadcopter has their own pros and cons, so make sure to do some research before making an investment. Here is a list of the current best drones of 2017 for reference.

Atlas Dynamics looks quite interesting but nothing immediate to buy/fly. The best drones of 2017 listed the Autel X-Star Premium as #4 (which was pleasing to know) but listed a con as "no live stream". What? How do you know what you're filming if you have no live feed to see what the camera is pointed at/recording?

Atlas Dynamics looks quite interesting but nothing immediate to buy/fly. The best drones of 2017 listed the Autel X-Star Premium as #4 (which was pleasing to know) but listed a con as "no live stream". What? How do you know what you're filming if you have no live feed to see what the camera is pointed at/recording?
I think the article meant that there is no live stream for services such as Facebook live or Youtube, but it does have a live video feed of the drone's POV.

I think the article meant that there is no live stream for services such as Facebook live or Youtube, but it does have a live video feed of the drone's POV.

Ah well, that makes much better sense. I am itching' to pull the trigger here...

Reactions: tml4191

First, your concerns about your P4p are probably not justified. Most users have no problems at all and are using theirs happily.
To answer your question about the Autel, it's technology is somewhere at a level between a P3 Standard and Pro and nowhere near competition for a P4pro.
The biggest deficiency compared to DJI offerings is that they do not use something like Lightbridge which makes all other control systems pretty well obsolete.
You can see what users have to say at our sister site: http://www.autelxpilots.com/
Bear in mind the user base is much smaller than for DJI machines and many users have not used recent Phantoms to be able to make a comparison.

As for the Kestrel, when/if it is ever commercially released, it's anticipated to be priced up around $20K
Autel have a poor track record for getting around to delivering products they show.
There's no hint of the new camera they shopped around at CES in January and their Venture II machine still hasn't been heard of three years after they showed it off.

Reactions: V tail
First, your concerns about your P4p are probably not justified. Most users have no problems at all and are using theirs happily.
To answer your question about the Autel, it's technology is somewhere at a level between a P3 Standard and Pro and nowhere near competition for a P4pro.
The biggest deficiency compared to DJI offerings is that they do not use something like Lightbridge which makes all other control systems pretty well obsolete.
You can see what users have to say at our sister site: http://www.autelxpilots.com/
Bear in mind the user base is much smaller than for DJI machines and many users have not used recent Phantoms to be able to make a comparison.

As for the Kestrel, when/if it is ever commercially released, it's anticipated to be priced up around $20K
Autel have a poor track record for getting around to delivering products they show.
There's no hint of the new camera they shopped around at CES in January and their Venture II machine still hasn't been heard of three years after they showed it off.

Meta4, Thanks for your post. I mostly agree with your opinion(s) about DJI's P4P but Autel Robotics has certainly come a long way in the very short time they have been building UAV's. While I have no doubt the vast majority of P4P owners are not having issues with their P4P, I also doubt that you could say the same thing about DJI's Customer Service. It sounds to me that DJI could care less about their customer base after they get your money. Regardless, I won't buy any product from China who doesn't support what they are building and who also try to force me where I can and cannot fly a product I paid for. But this is more off topic...

DJI's Lightbridge is definitely a tough act to follow, I believe that Autel will have improvements in this area soon partly because of their prototype VTOL (Krestel's 30+ mile range) which has an 8 foot wingspan and is currently in alpha testing in Germany. And, according to Autel, it is expected to be commercially released in the $50K price range. The release date is unknown but I was given contact info in Germany to get more information. The YouTube videos I saw of the Krestel's test flights were pretty amazing. The rear pod propellers fold into the trailing slipstream after shutdown while the front props take over cruise duty at altitude. All 4 pod engines rotate upward for VTOL (Vertical Take Off n' Landing for those who hate acronyms).

I believe Autel's newest UAV shown at CES in January (with retractable landing gear and obstacle avoidance) it's release has been delayed due to DJI's frivolous law suits against Autel, one of which had recently been thrown out in Delaware courts. DJI filed again in Washington state where Autel's headquarters are located. It's obvious DJI is concerned about this particular small UAV competitor.

Lastly, according to Misty A. in Autel's Support Team, the FLIR camera "...is set to release to the public in the next few weeks hopefully". I'm thinking it may be released at the UAV trade show in Las Vegas in early September, but that is just my guess.

After hearing extensively about Autel's X-Star Premium build quality and their fantastic Customer Support, the fact that their gimbal and camera are easily removable/replaceable, and there UAV's have no NFZ's to deal with, I believe I can live with the few short coming in range and auto software features especially when I can purchase a refurbished X-StarP for $649. That is a pretty good deal and not having to deal with DJI is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me make an informed decision. If I were more patient, I'd wait a bit longer for Autel's new model to come out but I've waited too long already. :)

Meta4, Thanks for your post. I mostly agree with your opinion(s) about DJI's P4P but Autel Robotics has certainly come a long way in the very short time they have been building UAV's. While I have no doubt the vast majority of P4P owners are not having issues with their P4P, I also doubt that you could say the same thing about DJI's Customer Service. It sounds to me that DJI could care less about their customer base after they get your money. Regardless, I won't buy any product from China who doesn't support what they are building and who also try to force me where I can and cannot fly a product I paid for. But this is more off topic...

DJI's Lightbridge is definitely a tough act to follow, I believe that Autel will have improvements in this area soon partly because of their prototype VTOL (Krestel's 30+ mile range) which has an 8 foot wingspan and is currently in alpha testing in Germany. And, according to Autel, it is expected to be commercially released in the $50K price range. The release date is unknown but I was given contact info in Germany to get more information. The YouTube videos I saw of the Krestel's test flights were pretty amazing. The rear pod propellers fold into the trailing slipstream after shutdown while the front props take over cruise duty at altitude. All 4 pod engines rotate upward for VTOL (Vertical Take Off n' Landing for those who hate acronyms).

I believe Autel's newest UAV shown at CES in January (with retractable landing gear and obstacle avoidance) it's release has been delayed due to DJI's frivolous law suits against Autel, one of which had recently been thrown out in Delaware courts. DJI filed again in Washington state where Autel's headquarters are located. It's obvious DJI is concerned about this particular small UAV competitor.

Lastly, according to Misty A. in Autel's Support Team, the FLIR camera "...is set to release to the public in the next few weeks hopefully". I'm thinking it may be released at the UAV trade show in Las Vegas in early September, but that is just my guess.

After hearing extensively about Autel's X-Star Premium build quality and their fantastic Customer Support, the fact that their gimbal and camera are easily removable/replaceable, and there UAV's have no NFZ's to deal with, I believe I can live with the few short coming in range and auto software features especially when I can purchase a refurbished X-StarP for $649. That is a pretty good deal and not having to deal with DJI is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me make an informed decision. If I were more patient, I'd wait a bit longer for Autel's new model to come out but I've waited too long already. :)
Good luck with your future Autel product.

Do you work for Autel? :)

Reactions: V tail

:)

DJI has many issues, but I wouldn't call their Autel lawsuit "frivolous". Autel hired an engineer away from DJI and subsequently released this:

opplanet-autel-robotics-x-star-prm-drone-white-x.jpg

See: trade dress :)

I'd sue too.

That all being said, Autel makes some fine products, but I'd be concerned that they may not be around in the long-term. They have done a couple rounds of lay-offs already -- so we'll see.

DJI has many issues, but I wouldn't call their Autel lawsuit "frivolous". Autel hired an engineer away from DJI and subsequently released this:

I'd sue too.

That all being said, Autel makes some fine products, but I'd be concerned that they may not be around in the long-term. They have done a couple rounds of lay-offs already -- so we'll see.
Yup, they are copy clones of DJI phantom 3 with just a few changes. They have better customer service but I prefer DJI, better technology and many types of drones to choose from.

I'd sue too.

XSP's and P4P's look similar but are no where near the same UAV. Can you tell the difference between a Boeing and an AIRBUS? Boeing doesn't sue Airbus because their aircraft has two engines, similar shaped winglets, flaps, and ailerons.

I didn't call the DJI lawsuit "frivolous", the District court of Delaware did when they dismissed DJI's claims in court.

And Autel's "old technology" will be updated to compete with their rivals at DJI soon enough. That's called commercial innovation pushed on by progress and competition and it's been around for a lot longer than any of us. If ANYONE builds a competitive UAV to compete with DJI's offerings, the DJI masses will begin to accept the competition's hardware with the less restrictions. That's not hard to understand. DJI knows this and is trying their best to squash the competition before that happens.

Anyone remember the Model T? Look at their competition now after all these years. How long was it before other innovators were building cars to compete with Ford? Things in commerce move much faster these days.

No, I don't work for Autel but I think they have the makings of a good product (in some ways better than DJI's) and with less flight restrictions I will gladly use their "old technology" with 1.2 mile range until they eventually catch or exceed those of their competition. And someone will catch up to DJI. They always do.

Reactions: KentA
And Autel's "old technology" will be updated to compete with their rivals at DJI soon enough. That's called commercial innovation pushed on by progress and competition and it's been around for a lot longer than any of us. If ANYONE builds a competitive UAV to compete with DJI's offerings, the DJI masses will begin to accept the competition's hardware with the less restrictions. That's not hard to understand. DJI knows this and is trying their best to squash the competition before that happens.

Anyone remember the Model T? Look at their competition now after all these years. How long was it before other innovators were building cars to compete with Ford? Things in commerce move much faster these days.

No, I don't work for Autel but I think they have the makings of a good product (in some ways better than DJI's) and with less flight restrictions I will gladly use their "old technology" with 1.2 mile range until they eventually catch or exceed those of their competition. And someone will catch up to DJI. They always do.
DJI released the P3 Advanced and Pro in April 2015 and instantly made wifi drones obsolete.
A year later Autel released their knock-off of the P3 standard.
DJI (who have over 1000 engineers employed in research and development) have gone on with several new generations of advanced drones since then.
Autel still sell their knock-off P3 Standard.
The Phantom has had an SDK for more than two years and users have a wide range of additional programs and advanced functions like waypoint and mapping applications that open up the use of DJI drones for many professional purposes.
The P4 pro has been available for 9 months with a quality 20MP camera.
Autel started talking about a 20 MP camera 9 months ago but it's never turned up.

Competition works when you have companies that can compete offering competitive products.
Unfortunately Autel is not in a position to develop drones that are competitive.
Autel Robotics USA lay off US sales and marketing staff - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
It's a lot easier for them to sell copies of long-superceded wifi drones to users that don't know or don't care than it is to put in a big investment in developing new technology.

Anyhow, my question is "does anyone have anything negative to say about the current Autel X-Star Premium drone aircraft?" Is the X-Star Premium a good alternative to the P4P?
The Autel product might be fine for your needs but the simple answer to your original question is that the Autel drone is not in the same league as The P4 pro and not close to being a good alternative.
It's two generations behind in it's technology.
Your confidence in the company's ability to compete in the drone market is misplaced.

Reactions: SoundByte
Your confidence in the company's ability to compete in the drone market is misplaced.

Meta4, on the contrary, YOUR confidence in a Chinese company dictating where you can and cannot fly YOUR drone that YOU paid for in our own country is what any intelligent person would say is confidence misplaced. You may condone and continue to accept the flight limitations placed on your hobby by a Chinese company. I prefer to fly without them. I will always place my confidence in a stable innovative USA company rather than support any thing made in or company from China.

Meta4, on the contrary, YOUR confidence in a Chinese company dictating where you can and cannot fly YOUR drone that YOU paid for in our own country is what any intelligent person would say is confidence misplaced. You may condone and continue to accept the flight limitations placed on your hobby by a Chinese company. I prefer to fly without them. I will always place my confidence in a stable innovative USA company rather than support any thing made in or company from China.
For your information... Autel robotics headquarter is in China just like DJI with offices in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart