At what distance do you nerves give out?

I'll always fly my AC back using the app if possible RTH is only good If the home point was updated correctly at takeoff. RTH to me is a last and final resort.

Not using RTH to fly back is one thing. Not verifying the home point on every flight is unwise. That is all but guaranteeing that any signal interruption will result in an emergency.

That being said, I don't think I have ever had an unexpected/unearned signal loss. The times I lost signal were all operator induced. I purposely shut down the transmitter or flew out over the desert to a point where signal loss was expected.

RTH - I use it just about every time I fly. When I used to fly on the edge of the rules, I would fly out until it disconnected. Hit RTH and pack up. If I was in an optimal landing area. (Hard surface, level ground, 15+ foot radius) I would even start the car get my drink and wait for it to land. I have never so much as even dinged a prop. Since getting certified I don't do that anymore but I am still confident in RTH.

RTH is one of the best items this model has. I would say that more than 90% of my flights have RTH involved in them by way of Auto initiated and the other 10% is spilt between about 5% S2 and other 5% manually going home by sticks.
100% of landing out once model is in sight - I stop RTH and bring her home on the 'sticks' .....

Its interesting that I have never used Auto-Land. I use Auto-takeoff on virtually every flight though.

Nigel

Its interesting that I have never used Auto-Land.

Nigel

That is probably a good idea. Unless you are absolutely certain that you have an optimal landing area with a good bit of leeway in the event the bird doesn't return exactly where it took off. I wouldn't do it. I do it fairly often but... I fly in areas that are between 20-80 miles from anything that could remotely be considered a real obstacle. Last autoland was on an abandoned asphalt road 10 miles from any traffic. Bird came back and landed right on top of the dime I put on the ground. I'm going to record it next time.. landing on a dime!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka