At what distance do you nerves give out?

Johnny Belew you had me scared to death!!! What a great video...I tried to fly in my back yard and it seemed like the trees were grabbing at my P3P if I got within 50 feet. Practice practice practice.

Johnny...when you came out of the woods and could see the hill, did you add altitude as you climbed or was that something you set on your bird?? It was so smooth and the distance from the ground remained consistent!

Where can I find more on the DBS02?

You are a stone cold rocket man!!

I need to buy more land...

In your opinion, what is the max distance for a P3 that can be flown with absolute confidence and assurance (excluding unusual interference, meteor showers, etc) of good signal and complete control? I don't currently expect jobs that require more than 1/4 mile.
Thanks for all that but that was nothing compared to the guys I learned from. They are the ones that are tough! But to answer a couple questions.. maxxuav.com is where u can find dbs02. Same site, maxxrange is also a great choice. I just ordered it last night. Fits in the same bracket as the 02.
Yes I had to fly the whole thing. Practice in your yard. If the ground looks like it's getting close, raise your elevation. Same going down hill. Navigating the trees is simple when in the app you add the cross hair to the middle of the screen. Shows exactly where your heading. Easier to navigate the branches. You can aim between two trees from a couple hundred feet back with a cross hair.
I appreciate this forum and the people in it so no hard feelings here.
Fly safe, fly often and don't hurt nobody. Cheers
Jb

Edit, as for distance for your p3p, all depends on location. Never try to judge your own bird with someone elses. They may get twice the distance as you, but it may be the location choice they fly in. Location location!!! Instead, work on ways to better your own distance in "your" location. If your in heavy wifi... Get a panel antenna like the dbs02. They reject more and will out penetrate "any" omni antenna. If your out in the country, omni is fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: eaglegoaltender
i use RaceRender and it has those in the template. When I have time I'm going to work on a better overlay template for drones.

Is that just an overlay that is added to the video after the flight or can you use that during the flight - nice work on that, it would be much easier IMO to have that kind of overlay while flying.

I like flying in this manner for several reasons but to just name a couple, it's challenging and fun, and I have no fear at all if hurting someone because it's in the woods or over a field.

Agree 100% - and it was great to see a video of this kind of flying n filming as you did rather than from way up there with all overhead shots (don't mean that as being critical of the overhead flights as there are many great ones - just noted as to seeing something different)

I am of the same mind-set as to adding a challenge (safe one) when flying like you do - it's neat to have the Phantom filming at close to "eye" height and having it show what you might while walking. I have had issues with signal loss however unlike you!

Now that I see you are using the ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02 I am about to order the same and give it a shot. ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02

Keep in mind people - a good range booster is not just for distance flying, it is to obtain a stronger signal with less interference.

Thanks Johnny - great video and info regarding the range booster. Do you use anything else besides that?

Reactions: JohnnyB
Is that just an overlay that is added to the video after the flight or can you use that during the flight - nice work on that, it would be much easier IMO to have that kind of overlay while flying.

Its an overlay I created in RaceRender that you add after the flight using the flight data. I guess you could create a flight app with the DJI SDK that could mimic it.

Once I have time to finish the template I'll share with the group. I want to add as much data to it as I can.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Its an overlay I created in RaceRender that you add after the flight using the flight data

Thanks Spider - good to know and excellent job you did with the overlay.

That can come in very handy for a lot of different situations.

Agree 100% - and it was great to see a video of this kind of flying n filming as you did rather than from way up there with all overhead shots (don't mean that as being critical of the overhead flights as there are many great ones - just noted as to seeing something different)

I am of the same mind-set as to adding a challenge (safe one) when flying like you do - it's neat to have the Phantom filming at close to "eye" height and having it show what you might while walking. I have had issues with signal loss however unlike you!

Now that I see you are using the ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02 I am about to order the same and give it a shot. ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02

Keep in mind people - a good range booster is not just for distance flying, it is to obtain a stronger signal with less interference.

Thanks Johnny - great video and info regarding the range booster. Do you use anything else besides that?
I also ordered, from the same company, the maxxrange. The dbs02 is a 9 dB antenna, (wider beam) which you seen what it can do.. (I didn't lose a single bar of signal throughout that flight) and the maxxrange is a 14 dB. (Narrower beam but reaches farther) The maxxrange will hook right up to the same bracket that the 02 does. Didn't know if you noticed but I had the amps too. Got the evo kit. But either panel will fit onto the same bracket. Another antenna set I have is the L-com magnet base that I stick to the top of the car, hook cables to dbs amps, and fly from setting in the car. (Also in the country.. not over people, houses, etc.) And, I have a cheap set of Alfa panels (which turned out to be more impressive than I thought) that screw right into the RP-SMA connectors on the RC Incase of amp failure, or just for a quick fly. (They're just a bit better than the stock antennas and were gave to me) Seems a lot but it's nice to have a choice depending on the location/situation your in. The 14 dB maxxrange I just ordered, same kind of flying for me, just a little further out. What I'm dying to do is, this river we have close to here, has trees on both sides of the banks, creating a tunnel like effect. It goes across an open field. If I can get the nerve, I want to fly up that river under the canopy. The DBS02 would get the job done, but the maxxrange will get'er done a little better and give me a little more confidence. (Just need to remember a clean pair of shorts! Lol) Same thing, set to hover if connection is lost and hope I can still run to go get signal back if it does..lol It would be a bit further out than what was in the video.

To contribute to the OP, 2.66 miles is as far as I have gone out, once, all stock before I modded the controller. (GL300C) I was a little nervous but had confidence in the bird/setup.

I am afraid to say , my nerves give out as soon as I loose visual orientation of the P3. :(
I'm in no way trying to be condescending when I write this but, if you learn to use the DJI go app correctly you can always see the orientation of your craft ( weather it is facing at you or away from you). I regularly fly out of sight and use the app to bring my p3p home

I'm in no way trying to be condescending when I write this but, if you learn to use the DJI go app correctly you can always see the orientation of your craft ( weather it is facing at you or away from you). I regularly fly out of sight and use the app to bring my p3p home

But the regs say that you must maintain VLOS or risk prosecution by the relevant authority..........:)

So stick that in your condescending pipe and smoke it!

Well, welcome to the forum Troy! LMAO How's that for a 1st post response?.. haha break'm in right I guess..lol

I am new drone owner, just a few weeks, but aren't most of you violating FCC regulations with flying out of line of sight? Not a cop or anything, but wonder if anyone cares!

I've got a few flights on my P3S and the farthest I've been was 290M (951 feet/0.180198 miles). My stomach still gets a little twisted when I go up to max altitude though.

I've got a few flights on my P3S and the farthest I've been was 290M (951 feet/0.180198 miles). My stomach still gets a little twisted when I go up to max altitude though.
My max distance was 420 or so meters today no problems besides a weak controller signal for a split second and some lag interference.And yeah I get scared at max alt sometimes to

Trust the RTH guys. You will need it soon at one point. [emoji4]

Neon Euc

But the regs say that you must maintain VLOS or risk prosecution by the relevant authority..........:)

So stick that in your condescending pipe and smoke it!

As I said. You can always see the orientation of your craft using the app weather you have VLOS or not. I was trying to give you some advice about the app because it is evident that you need it if you get stomach twinges when you can still see your craft but visually cannot work out its orientation towards you.
P.s the Country I live in has yet to introduce legislation regarding VLOS, so until the day that happens yes I will be flying my P3P out of sight . Happy flying

Reactions: Choperuski
I am new drone owner, just a few weeks, but aren't most of you violating FCC regulations !

I think you mean the FAA and the answer is depends on where you live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My nerves don't give out on distance flights. I never attempt them anywhere where a failure would result in damage to property or people. So if it comes down the only real issue is locating the bird and picking up the pieces.

I don't really worry. I have a bunch of flights under my belt. I have gone 16,000 without any problems on a stock P3p.

Trust the RTH guys. You will need it soon at one point. [emoji4]

Neon Euc

I'll always fly my AC back using the app if possible RTH is only good If the home point was updated correctly at takeoff. RTH to me is a last and final resort.

My nerves don't give out on distance flights. I never attempt them anywhere where a failure would result in damage to property or people. So if it comes down the only real issue is locating the bird and picking up the pieces.

I don't really worry. I have a bunch of flights under my belt. I have gone 16,000 without any problems on a stock P3p.

I have a P3P as well and you have increased my level of comfort tremendously! Thank you for the boost!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka