At what distance do you nerves give out?

New pilot here, with a Phantom 3 Standard. Completely stock at this point, apart from adding a tablet mount to the controller.

I played it very conservatively with my first half a dozen flights. I was hoping to stretch my wings Friday with a flight along the Des Moines River out in the middle of nowhere, but the winds were too high, so I kept it close.

I went back on Saturday. With calm winds I flew north at an altitude of 220 feet to 4,067 feet before I got a "weak signal" message. I turned around manually at that point. I then flew south and went until return-to-home kicked in at 4,816 feet.

I was nervous the first few flights, but getting a little experience in a remote area where there's no interference and not much to hit builds confidence. And I think the windy day helped, too. It let me see how the Phantom 3 handles relatively high winds (10-15 mph fairly steady, with gusts up to 25 mph).

Here's a video from yesterday's flight, by far my longest to date:

Last edited:
Reactions: skysummit
i use RaceRender and it has those in the template. When I have time I'm going to work on a better overlay template for drones.

My new P4 is an amazing piece of technology. As a newbie to a "real" drone, I am working on the nerve factor by going to a very large patch of open ground with limited trees and flying my heart out. I still don't have the comfort level high enough to go really far out there YET. I have however figured out that sport mode and overconfidence in being able to control this speedster cost me one prop in my first crash flying backwards into a brick wall. (My pride was hurt more than the P4!) When the manual says it takes 163 feet to stop at full speed, don't try to stop it in 162 feet with a building as a backstop! It could have been worse! 6 days of flying and draining three batteries almost every time has been helpful. Learning how to operate the APP and where everything is located has been the most difficult task. Flying it where I want it to go has been easy. A bigger screen will make this a lot easier. For now my old 5S is doing the job.
I look forward to using this platform as part of the local FD brush fires with to allow an elevated command platform, which will assist in putting assets where they need to be and keeping them out of harms way. I want to work with our local police agencies to provide overhead scene documentation on fatal car crashes, possible SAR and who knows what else. Already studying for a 107 certification. If I were to lose my current job anytime in the future, I KNOW what my next job is going to be! I may be an old dog, but I can learn new tricks. DJI has produced an amazing piece of technology and I want to learn how to use it to the fullest extent possible.

Reactions: JazzAir
I have the max distance on my P4P set to 1600M, that's a plenty for me so far. I think my nerves could handle going further but the risk/reward for me is just not there right now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This above is a 13'200 feet flight with no problem. The Itelite antena was certainly of great help in this experience !

IMG_3210.JPG

Reactions: JohnnyB
Nice results but quite dangerous experience !...what would have happened if you had lost the signal in the trees and therefore triggered a RTH ? Your drone had certainly crashed into the trees !

You set it to "hover" if connection is lost when your in the tree's instead of return to home.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
You don't want it setting to hover if you lose signal with it out of sight. There are enough video clips on here to show that some flyers like to be above roads, buildings etc.
Lose signal, hover, battery runs down, some poor body gets hurt by a descending Phantom.

After yesterdays flight and subsequent confusion I decided on a more normal play today.
Nice and frosty, sun just above the horizon, open fields with wind turbines in the distance. Got her out to max ce distance then reset it and carried on, at 2294 ft away I got into that brain troubling conundrum. Couldn't see it, couldn't hear it, had full signal strengths but bottled it anyway and brought her home. Had a chat to a passer by as it hovered overhead, then flew off in the oposite direction to 1875 ft and came back. 13 minutes, 12740 total distance flown, still 50% battery left which I thought pretty good for freezing temps.
Just which I could get over my nerves over losing sight and sound and trust my screen, it's not like I was in danger of flying into anything.
My max distance so far is 18,226 feet, round trip. That is just short of 3 1/2 miles. I think Your nerves increase with hours clocked up flying. Always do a Compass calibration, obviously when attempting a long distance flight have battery fully charged. Ensure RTH height is sufficient to avoid anything and last but not least observe how much battery You have used before returning Home. Always use less than half the battery, so You land with some Power left Another important thing to think about is the wind. Ideally fly on a calm day. But You will be surprised how well the Phantom will fly against the wind. If there is a little wind, fly out against it, then wind will assist it's return. You don't want to be running out of battery, when returning Home against the wind.

Reactions: k9time and JohnnyB
You don't want it setting to hover if you lose signal with it out of sight. There are enough video clips on here to show that some flyers like to be above roads, buildings etc.
Lose signal, hover, battery runs down, some poor body gets hurt by a descending Phantom.
This not being one of those vids, why the remark? You set yours to rth, if your in the tree's, on private property, if you want to. I'm not. The barn was 700' away. If I lost signal, I simply walk a few steps and get it back and continue flying. There are options on what you want it to do if disconnected for a reason. Not everyone just goes to 400' and flies forward. Got bored with that fast. In fact, where I was flying there was 0% chance of anything happening to anybody flying 2 - 5 feet off the ground, less than 10 mph, on my own property, No public anything, anywhere.
It's funny what some people think needs policed. Not everyone flies as you described but your advice is good for people that just don't know, or has no common sense at all.
Cheers,
JB

Johnny Bellew is totally right. I fully agree.....and he is also right to say that the hover position is the best option in this particular case. Regards.

when I'm at 400 feet and 300 feet away i start worry about my signal. (I'm using a P3s)

Almost 2 miles and lost line sight, well I should say communication.
Made a quick vid of what happened. Jump to the 2:15 mark to see where it disconnected.
This was done on my stock P3P - 11,000 ft. is the farthest I've had it. It took about a year to grow balls to go that far.

Reactions: Phil56 and JohnnyB
Johnny Belew you had me scared to death!!! What a great video...I tried to fly in my back yard and it seemed like the trees were grabbing at my P3P if I got within 50 feet. Practice practice practice.

Johnny...when you came out of the woods and could see the hill, did you add altitude as you climbed or was that something you set on your bird?? It was so smooth and the distance from the ground remained consistent!

Where can I find more on the DBS02?

You are a stone cold rocket man!!

I need to buy more land...

In your opinion, what is the max distance for a P3 that can be flown with absolute confidence and assurance (excluding unusual interference, meteor showers, etc) of good signal and complete control? I don't currently expect jobs that require more than 1/4 mile.

This not being one of those vids, why the remark? You set yours to rth, if your in the tree's, on private property, if you want to. I'm not. The barn was 700' away. If I lost signal, I simply walk a few steps and get it back and continue flying. There are options on what you want it to do if disconnected for a reason. Not everyone just goes to 400' and flies forward. Got bored with that fast. In fact, where I was flying there was 0% chance of anything happening to anybody flying 2 - 5 feet off the ground, less than 10 mph, on my own property, No public anything, anywhere.
It's funny what some people think needs policed. Not everyone flies as you described but your advice is good for people that just don't know, or has no common sense at all.
Cheers,
JB

Sorry you took umbrage, it was meant as a general remark rather than about your particular flight. Personally I don't fit into the 400ft height, straight line flyer either.
As for common sense, this forum is filled by people who didnt even read the instruction manual and then whinge that Phantoms are crap when it all goes tits up. It also is filled by people who take one post as a carved in stone rule and cannot adapt to their own circumstances. Hence my comment.
Again sorry it caused offence it was unintended.

Reactions: k9time and JohnnyB
Sorry you took umbrage, it was meant as a general remark rather than about your particular flight. Personally I don't fit into the 400ft height, straight line flyer either.
As for common sense, this forum is filled by people who didnt even read the instruction manual and then whinge that Phantoms are crap when it all goes tits up. It also is filled by people who take one post as a carved in stone rule and cannot adapt to their own circumstances. Hence my comment.
Again sorry it caused offence it was unintended.
Understood. No worries. Were all here to learn. I like flying in this manner for several reasons but to just name a couple, it's challenging and fun, and I have no fear at all if hurting someone because it's in the woods or over a field. Only danger of anything getting hurt is the drone itself. So, no offense and all is good! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart