Asked to "tutor" someone on the phantom

Reaction score
Well, thats a first.
A DJ got a phantom and wants to be tutored on how to use and best practices of it. How much would you say I should charge for a session?

Agreed.

'Pay it forward.'

I'd charge whatever hourly rate you'd be satisfied with...free? Seriously?? ;-)

kydan - I know... seriously, free?

Sure, let me drive to Queens to tutor some stranger that will be using his phantom for profit... for free.

Yeah, I was debating hourly vs flat. I cant imagine more than an hour altogether. I should check out hourly rates in craigslist for tutors

Seriously. What's wrong with free, kydan. Think of all the FREE advice dragonash likely got on these forums when he was first starting out... that he'll probably pass on to the new guy.

Nothin wrong with a little friendly help for a fellow Phantom pilot, I'd say.

Besides... how many HOURS do you think this "tutoring" is really going to take. After about 10 minutes, after you go over all the pre-flight stuff and he has it in the air... he's not going to be listening to you anymore anyway. ;-)

Agree with above... just "pay it forward"... gain good karma (and possibly a flying buddy)

ProfessorStein said:
Seriously. What's wrong with free, kydan. Think of all the FREE advice dragonash likely got on these forums when he was first starting out... that he'll probably pass on to the new guy.

Nothin wrong with a little friendly help for a fellow Phantom pilot, I'd say.

Besides... how many HOURS do you think this "tutoring" is really going to take. After about 10 minutes, after you go over all the pre-flight stuff and he has it in the air... he's not going to be listening to you anymore anyway. ;-)

Agree with above... just "pay it forward"... gain good karma (and possibly a flying buddy)

think in terms of business. Everything on the internet is "free". But how much is your time worth?
I gathered all my "free" knowledge during the course of months. MONTHS. Not to mention trial and error (and money for items)
The business man in question would like my knowledge compressed to within 1 hour.

As they say, time is money.

All good. I already told him that I'd give him a free lesson. No need to worry.

i wouldnt even imagine charging him. to me the couple bucks you might make doing it wouldnt be worth it. In all seriousness i probably give away 20 or more hours a week to people helping with things they need help with. I dont charge a dime for it either. I earn my living and if i can help others in my off time it only makes the world a better place. Just think if everyone did that how much better off we would all be?

dragonash said:
lol @ haters

haha. It's all good. It makes total sense for you to charge him. I would just charge $200 for a 1 hour session, bring your batteries to supplement his flying time, then he will feel like he got his money(ies?..'s?) worth. Just make sure you have a solid plan in place. Also, stay out of Prospect Park. That's my air space!

sidebox said:
All good. I already told him that I'd give him a free lesson. No need to worry.
lmao!

dragonash said:
lol @ haters
They are just knee-jerk reactions from some. When you originally said it was for a DJ (and not a friend/coworker/neighbor/etc) that instantly set off my fee radar. Sure some folks put up a lot of info to help the masses, but that doesn't mean you have to. You are just making their transition into the air quicker by your 1:1 experience. They won't have to suffer through thread upon thread before even unboxing.

Let them continue making $0!

I've helped many people get a Phantom or other rig set up, in person, without charging a dime. However, I've also had more than one commercial enterprise ask me for the same help, and you better believe I charged them.

If someone just wants a hand getting familiar with their new toy for the hobby, I'll be happy to spend all afternoon explaining everything gratis. But if someone needs to be briefed on everything they need to know to add a new revenue stream to their business, I have no reservations charging an hourly rate.

dragonash said:
Well, thats a first.
A DJ got a phantom and wants to be tutored on how to use and best practices of it. How much would you say I should charge for a session?

What if it was me who asked you for some help in person. U don't know me but we are fellow flyers and maybe there is some response you gave me on a thread that would be so much easier to show me in person. Would you ask for money from me if we decided to meet up somewhere? It just so happens I would be using the help I received to make money doing a shoot later.

Re: Asked to "tutor" someone on the phantom

Black tracer: it seems clear that he would provide you that assistance free of charge. This is pretty clear cut, and Oi laid it out perfectly.

Re: Asked to

sidebox said:
Black tracer: it seems clear that he would provide you that assistance free of charge. This is pretty clear cut, and Oi laid it out perfectly.

I have read thru the thread and don't see this clear cut you speak of. Maybe I missed it. Please advise.

Re: Asked to

BlackTracer said:
sidebox said:

I have read thru the thread and don't see this clear cut you speak of. Maybe I missed it. Please advise.

2 posts up, OI explained that he would help someone out who was a hobbiest, just trying to get some help. He said that he would charge if someone clearly stated that they would be using this help to directly create a new revenue stream. What else do you need clarified? Are you asking for help or are you just being a contrarian? If you tell him that you are going to use this knowledge to make money, he would charge you. If not, he won't. Pretty clear cut.

dirkclod said:
Well in my mind all the time all that ya'll have tutored me here would have cost me, aaaaaaah a lot but nooooo it's all been free !!! :roll: Thanks everyone for the help and ya know if ya ever around where I stays at and need a little help just let me know. What goes around comes around ! I think I said that right :? :lol:

That's the beauty of being a member of an internet forum. It's all about the free exchange of ideas and experience. No one here came and gave a you a private lesson to help you make money off of other people. By this logic, the DJ should offer his drone related services to hist clients for free. Did I take crazy pills this morning?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom