Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

pretty sure they won't have FAA police profiling everyone who looks like a drone operator.
how will they know?
I'm pretty sure the RC in your hands will tip them off ;)

Reactions: bbfpv
I might just tell anyone that asks me that my Phantom 3 is less than .55 lbs so registration is not required... If they doubt me, I will just fly it up a little higher so it looks smaller...

Reactions: joe21 and Apilot101
I registered yesterday.

Im going to install helium balloons so the net wieght is less than .55 lb. I think that will be good enough.

I might just tell anyone that asks me that my Phantom 3 is less than .55 lbs so registration is not required... If they doubt me, I will just fly it up a little higher so it looks smaller...

Why lie? Why even entertain their questions like that? Unless they have a badge and a gun, I have no obligation to speak to anyone I don't want to. Answer what you want and, if they pressure for "rules" just tell them to call 911 if they have any issues.

Why lie? Why even entertain their questions like that? Unless they have a badge and a gun, I have no obligation to speak to anyone I don't want to. Answer what you want and, if they pressure for "rules" just tell them to call 911 if they have any issues.

Yeah I meant that for the ones with a badge and a gun...obviously wouldn't worry about anyone else.....you think they have a scale with them?

Yeah I meant that for the ones with a badge and a gun...obviously wouldn't worry about anyone else.....you think they have a scale with them?

Heh. Good thought. If they get a cut of the fine the FAA puts on people, then I think the answer would be you betcha. Otherwise, I don't think they'll bother too much with it.

Just got my cert number. It is quite interesting. Almost looked like a pattern consisting only 1 specific number, and 4 other repeating character. Not a single other number. Hmm...

Visitor Registration (aliens)
OK so you want to be legal and register your drone whilst on holiday in the US. Don't have a US billing address for a CC on the site? No problem get one of the many prepaid debit cards -mine is visa- the site gives you a number with this.

I registered the 21st. No refund yet either. But they had a lot come in at once.

So far, that's the cheapest amount I've spent on this hobby, so... not a biggie if I never see it. Maybe I'll claim it on my income tax as a bad loan!

Did anyone get their $5 registration fee back? I registered on Dec 24th and have yet to see the refund on my credit card as they promised :(.
Well this is the US government..... I would normally expect them to have a complex process for the refund. They probably have to print out the info on paper, queue it up and mail a month worth at a time to the office in charge of refunds. From there, it will sit around in disorganised boxes for months with people tripping over them. Meanwhile lots of money will be allocated to them to do the work, most of which will be stolen by the bureaucrats using clever mechanisms that are all "legal". Eventually they will find some mouth breather to look at the papers one by one, taking an hour each while making unpleasant breathing noises. It will take him months to go through a box and probably cost $1000 per refund. Eventually, people will notice it is taking too long, so at great cost they will set up a system where people can inquire in the status. Once done, a query to this system will report it is in progress with no further details, which is of course totally unhelpful.

Hang in there.... You will get it.... Could be 9 to 12 months!

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

Reactions: bbfpv
100,000's Have. Some perceive registering as a greater danger to their personal privacy than the danger subjected to everyone else who has been trained to properly and safely use the NAS. People whom have no experience with the NAS feel there is no danger with 700,000 plus flying "toys" weighing up to 55 lbs flying all over the NAS. People who fly up there in manned aircraft would obviously disagree. Their lives are on the line. The UAV operator's is not. People are going to do "crazy" things with "toy" aircraft capable of flying right up there with EVERYONE else. Small birds have brought down big aircraft. There are rules and the FAA wants/needs a way to hold all UAV operators whom operate a "capable" UAV accountable. Now before we go down the path of someone steals my number. If someone steals your car to rob a bank, they don't arrest you. When the law is broken, an investigation proceeds, and usually the bad guys get caught. I feel the dangers presented from more UAV's in the air than there are certificated pilots in the whole country's IS a more important issue than worrying about someone getting your address. By the way, most aircraft owners do not use their home address to register their aircraft. They use a PO Box or the airport address where it is kept. Don't get me wrong, privacy is extremely important, just not at the expense of endangering other people's lives. It's seems to me too many are just disregarding that issue. They are just toys, leave me alone. That's not going to work. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong. Just saying.

So now we have our numbers, do we have to report every crash, flyaway and hard landing to the Air accident investigation dept?

I've registered and now have the number to apply to all my drones regardless of make or model if they are within the specified parameters. I would not have, but the potential penalty just wasn't worth not registering.

If I wanted to purposefully do something illegal like drop a package inside prison walls, drop a batch of smallpox - bioterrorism style, etc, etc, I obviously would not register. I don't know if retailers are now required to register new owners when they purchase drones but unregistered drones are readily available on eBay and Craigslist. A terrorist could easily build their own.

Requiring law abiding users to register drones is about as idiotic as requiring law abiding gun owners to register guns. The people we really need to worry about aren't playing by anyone's rules but their own!

Reactions: TheRealNick
So now we have our numbers, do we have to report every crash, flyaway and hard landing to the Air accident investigation dept?
That would be the NTSB. Just kidding, although if enough of us kept doing it, we might make a point to them!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3