Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Signed up and am encouraging everyone I know to sign up before Jan 26th whether or not they have a craft. If the Feds want people to sign up we'll give them to them. Pilots without devices. I have 380 commitments to sign up so far and am aiming to have 3000 new "pilots" signed up and ready for a refund before the end of the "free" period.

I don't plan on it.. pretty sure they won't have FAA police profiling everyone who looks like a drone operator.
how will they know?

Besides, "profiling" is against the law. They'll have to start shaking down granny, baby Sue, and anyone who hasn't the slightest clue what a drone IS before they come to you and me. ;) Just sayin'.

didnt read all 25 pages...

but from what i understand you need a valid credit card o a phone number in order to register your p3/inspire and unlock the nfz-s right?

last year i travelled three times to the united states (san diego, chicago and new york) and in each trip i bought a att on the go sim for an unlocked iphone. so techically speaking i might be able to register a phantom under any of those three numbers?

if so, whats the poing of using a cell phone to register your p3/inspire if you could go to any att, buy a sim card under any name and register your drone.

#justsaying...

I registered me, but not my drone.. Didn't ask for particulars of the drone. I already got my $5 fee back aswell..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No
phone is optional
All thay ask for is address and cc number
and they send you a refund so it's free

sorry, you are talking about registering with the faa and not with dji.
my mistake :)

By the way, this is the last day for refunds

edit: provided your reading this on Thursday :D

Last edited:
If I understand your confusion, the registration requirement is different if you are a new pilot. A new pilot must register before his first flight. So the deadline doesn't apply. Veteran pilots have until Feb 19th to register.

And yes, there seems to be a bit of a loophole there.

If I understand your confusion, the registration requirement is different if you are a new pilot. A new pilot must register before his first flight. So the deadline doesn't apply. Veteran pilots have until Feb 19th to register.

And yes, there seems to be a bit of a loophole there.

More then just loops holes its as if some one at the FAA either has a crystal ball or they just assume every one is honest which is weird for any goverment agency to do that considering they usually mistrust any and all citizens.

But there seems to be a lot of reliance on some one just pinky swearing to some thing with no way whats so ever to ever enforce or even know if some one is not being honest. and there is no way in heck that they could prove if some one ever flew before a certain date or not.

same as there silly agreement where one must check the box saying they INTEND to fly safely which I'm pretty sure even tho most unsafe flyer never intends to go out of there way to not fly safely even if they are flying reckless and crazy.

Tho I'm sure there are a few that do intentionally fly unsafe even when they are aware some thing they are about to do is not safe or even cool to do. But still no way to prove that last Tuesday and 2 o'clock when some one agreed to not intend to fly recklessly if they were lieing or if they just changed there minds or did some thing unintentionally...

But I'm also starting to think they needed to add that just to add some fluff and content to there registration sign up process just to make it look all good and official like and to fill the page with some content to keep it interesting. While at the same time keeping it simple and easy to understand with out looking like the end user agreement for some spamware or cell phone app where you agree to give them your first born child in the fine print deep in page 57 of the user agreement.

Reactions: yorlik
Yes. Done. Cost is $5. You don't actually identify your droan (the government doesn't ask for model, serial number or anything like that). You get a certificate with registration number. I laminated the card and put it in my wallet. The certificate number is supposed to be attached to your aircraft. I used a label maker with 1/4 inch tape and attached it near the battery slot. Easy.. No big deal!

Allow me to add my 2 cents and then I'll shut up.
I began my registration process (reluctantly) just now and began reading the privacy disclosure. In a nutshell, it seems the FAA can share my info with whomever they please and for whatever purpose they deem appropriate at the time. It's not like they didn't already have this information since I have been a licensed pilot since 1967, but it still pisses me off that they can share it with the world.
I really wouldn't have any problems if they asked me to take a short quiz regarding flying safety before issuing me a license to fly a drone, but ONLY requiring an email address and credit card number is an overreach in my opinion.

I hear you... Just add the FAA to the long list of other entities that share information. Unfortunately...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart