Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Just registered.

Stickers installed on both birds.
Printed certificate in cases.
PDF copy now on phone and laptop and uploaded to my Dropbox.

And by now, some Chinese hacker has all my information stored on his hard drive right next to Hillary's emails.

Actually, I am vehemently opposed to registration.

I don't think people on either side of the argument are necessarily ethical or unethical. Registration is not an ethics issue.

My understanding is some people believe (falsely, IMO) that registration is somehow linked to safety. Many others seem to be ambivalent about the topic and don't seem to care because it is such a small amount of government over-reach. Still others actively welcome the regulation because they see it as the beginning of more regulations and rules for the hobby (which they see as a good thing).

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and also believe that the majority are ethical. When I read things like the post that prompted my original reply, it makes me wonder.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It doesn't make that opinion correct and it is especially frustrating when the opinion is based on a false premise.

I have to disagree on what you feel got us into this position. You can take just about any item and find people dangerously misusing it on YouTube. It seems a by-product of the Jackass generation... they see stupid, dangerous things on MTV and figure they can do it and be a celebrity too. This behavior is not limited to drones.

What got us into this was a perfect storm of BS. It is new exciting tech in a growing segment... the "it" toy for this year's holiday season. Adding to that is military/law enforcement use of "drones." While entirely different, the media uses the term interchangeably for dramatic effect. "Drone strike kills terrorist cell in Afghanistan." followed by "U.S. Government using drones to assassinate American citizens" followed by "Local Sheriff want to use drones to spy on citizens" followed by "Drone spotted near sporting event." There is a strong "drones are evil" narrative, lacking any factual basis.

The public is virtually led to believe that a military drone loaded with ordnance or surveillance gear is pretty much the same as a P3. We know that's hogwash, but the average viewer of mind-numbing trash like "Good Morning America" or "The View" is being bombarded with a message of fear.

This plays well for our do-nothing legislators. They prey on irrational fears of the masses. It gives them a chance to appear they are doing something. So they call the FAA and scream. They hold congressional hearings to discuss the national emergency of all these drones falling from the sky and killing people. It helps us not to notice that they are ruining the economy and stealing from the taxpayers.

(For the record and to answer a question posed in this thread - from the stats I have found indicate there has not been a single fatality caused by a drone. There have been fatalities due to RC model aircraft. Also, there has not been a single drone collision with a manned aircraft. Oddly, there have been several manned aircraft collisions with turtles (see article in Popular Science). To my above point, these turtle collisions have not made the news which explains the lack of public outcry and FAA requirements for turtle registration).

Its about fear and control. Yes, a simple registration and $5 fee is an infinitesimal item in the scheme of things. When you take all those infinitesimal items and add them up, they all of a sudden become quite big. It is then too late to get back what was lost. This happens when people lay down and accept it. It happens faster when people fall for the scam and _thank_ the government for solving the problem which doesn't exist.

There are plenty of other areas with similar issues. Some of these things would be banned today if good people didn't fight for every inch of ground.

Going down kicking and screaming tells the government the people are listening and know about the scam. It is how we keep the government accountable. "If they are that upset about a $5 registration scheme, can you imagine what will happen when we announce phase 2 of the plan? There will be a revolt!"

Another thing to consider is precedent. By allowing the FAA to force registration and regulate these hobby craft, there could be unintended consequences. I believe the AMA is upset and/or threatening a lawsuit because these small hobby craft are now considered aircraft. This subjects them to an entirely new set of rules - rules which are designed for an entirely different type of aircraft. I don't think there is any conspiracy here (I don't think the FAA and congress together have enough of a cumulative IQ to create a conspiracy). I see it more as another government boondoggle that will serve no purpose except to create more jobs in the FAA, allow more government contracts to go to FAA "friends" and give lawyers something to file papers about for years to come.

While the scarecrow, tin man and lion were wetting their pants in fear (along with the entire city), only a little dog had the brains to pull at the curtain and expose the truth. There's a lesson to be learned there.

I'm not saying don't register. I'm not even arguing the point one way or the other - that's been done ad nausem. I'm just pointing out why some of us see it as necessary and over-reaching. I also guarantee it will backfire... by the AMA and manufacturers not fighting against registration (the AMA, at least was all for it according to the FAA documents) they have simply paved the way for more aggressive rules which will hurt sales and make this hobby less fun going forward. The FAA is now emboldened.

That's how I see it.

Sorry for the long post. I apparently ended up on a roll.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Always nice to see an intelligent statement (on any subject really)

Reactions: aka1ceman
Just to be clear. I think the liberals drink way too much cool aide. I think the government needs to be much smaller and the less involved in our lives the better. I think the FAA's plan is for registration first, then a UAS Airman Certificate requirement which will involve education about the NAS and how it is utilized by the public. This is where and how the safety comes in. Registration itself does not promote safety, but it sure started a conversation.

Just a thought, but the last time I looked there were a bit over 600,000 FAA certificated pilots in the USA. That's all of them. They have several organizations, clubs, etc. I don't know how many UAS's are already out there but the Industry predicts over 400,000 UAS sales this holiday season. When the UAS Airman rating becomes available and all those UAS pilots get certified, that number is going to be huge. That will be a force to be reckoned with as far as the government is concerned. Just a thought.

PS I hope my grammar is exactly correct or else I'm not very intelligent according to 1 guy. I wouldn't want to appear not intelligent because I used the wrong word. I apologize for my error.

then a UAS Airman Certificate requirement which will involve education about the NAS and how it is utilized by the public
The FAA has not indicated that hobbyists will be required to get the "operator" certificate (whenever the new rules are finalized). It's something people who want to operate commercially will be able to obtain in place of one of the existing manned aircraft certificates.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and snerd
You are correct. Required for commercial operators, but it will be available to anyone who so desires. At least that is how it stands right now. People are registering in huge numbers and I think a similar thing will occur. How many members on in the AMA? If most do and that number is large, WE can start having a bigger say it what all the final rules will be and even change the ones we don't like. The AOPA, the voice of General Aviation is actively working to change legislation in congress for the benefit of all pilots. I see this day coming. A National UAS Pilot's organization.

Just to be clear. I think the liberals drink way too much cool aide. I think the government needs to be much smaller and the less involved in our lives the better. I think the FAA's plan is for registration first, then a UAS Airman Certificate requirement which will involve education about the NAS and how it is utilized by the public. This is where and how the safety comes in. Registration itself does not promote safety, but it sure started a conversation.

Just a thought, but the last time I looked there were a bit over 600,000 FAA certificated pilots in the USA. That's all of them. They have several organizations, clubs, etc. I don't know how many UAS's are already out there but the Industry predicts over 400,000 UAS sales this holiday season. When the UAS Airman rating becomes available and all those UAS pilots get certified, that number is going to be huge. That will be a force to be reckoned with as far as the government is concerned. Just a thought.

PS I hope my grammar is exactly correct or else I'm not very intelligent according to 1 guy. I wouldn't want to appear not intelligent because I used the wrong word. I apologize for my error.

C'mon man. When you try to insult me and my feeling on the issue and due it without using words properly you leave me no choice but to jab at you about it. For what it's worth, I misread you as a kool-aid drinking liberal. For that, I apologize. Merry Christmas!

Be carful what you say to this guy. The mod on this forum will remove. I noticed they did that to a few of our comments. I'm a mod for Garmin and we never remove things like what I posted. Seems to be a one way street on here. Agree with them or loose your privileges.
Ga ... Not all forums are the same.
You'd do well to read the Community Guidelines here: Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum to find out how things work here.
There's nothing in there to say you have to agree with moderators.

You'd do well to read the Community Guidelines here: Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum to find out how things work here.

Others said much worse things than I did, but then again I'm not an "Aprrroved vendor". I guess that makes a difference. You can't even have a discussion on this fourm without people getting their feelings hurt. We should all be grown men and women on here.

Last edited:
The FAA Registration is most likely a knee jerk reaction from reports to the FAA by commercial airline pilots spotting drones in controlled airspace. The POTENTIAL risk is the concern. I'm pretty sure the majority of these reports were UAV Pilots that had no clue they were endangering lives, they were just flying their 'toy' as far/high as they could, oblivious to their actions being potentially dangerous to others.

Through this registration, the FAA is bringing attention to safe flying practices, having Drone owners acknowledge safe flight rules, and agree to fly by them. The number on the drone gives a way to tie the Drone, pilot, and safety regulations together in the event that something happens. Ex: You fly your drone to 1100 ft, a Cessna hits it, the FAA finds the drone, and can trace it back to someone that knowingly violated the regulations... You.

My guess is IF UAV Pilots adhere to the regulations it won't go any further. If only unregistered drones commit future problems, then they know the people that register are abiding by the rules. This may lead to automatic registration at time of purchase. If registered drones are the problem, then they will have to tighten the regs, and adjust penalties accordingly.

This gives the responsible community some leverage, because they can prove they're doing the right thing. This can help to limit stricter regulation in the future... On the other hand, if people register and ignore the rules, then the Gubmint will have to 'rethink' regulations. The biggest problem I see is type of people that check the EULA box and never read the EULA will exacerbate the problem. There's a lot of those people out there!

Lucky you. Where I live, all dogs must be registered and kept on leashes.
Same here, if I am caught with my unregistered (unlicensed) dogs in public, I get fined and my dogs get confiscated until the fine and license is paid.

Grew up on 80 acres in Utah and our cattle had to be branded - it was required by the Ute Tribe, whose lands we used to free graze/range the cattle during part of the year. Many western states have strict laws regarding brands, including brand registration, and require brand inspections. In many cases, a brand on an animal is considered proof of ownership.

Last edited:
I belong to some user forums where every post you make for the first 30 days after joining, have to be approved by a moderator before they are released to the forum. Any controversial posts land you back on moderation for a few weeks.

I belong to some user forums where every post you make for the first 30 days after joining, have to be approved by a moderator before they are released to the forum. Any controversial posts land you back on moderation for a few weeks.

I hate to say, but that's when you just move on.

The FAA already has my info via my ATP license. The FBI has my finger prints. I've got nothing to hide and I operate responsibly, yes I've registered my phantom 3 pro.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart