• No and I know I have to learn

• No and I didn't know any of this

• No and I don't care

• Yes, I made it a point to learn

• Yes but I am not good enough at it yet

• Yes, that's how I fly most of the time

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you @BigAl07!

I suppose he is leaving much less room (space and time) to himself to react in case something unexpectedly goes wrong.
But it looks so cool! :)

Yes he is but it does look cool and is cool to do in a real heli as well. If you miscalculate your distances it could leave a mark too LOL

I wasn't even thinking of VPS.

When I started this thread, what I had in mind is getting the drone to do what I want it to with flight controls.

Flying ATTI to me is like flying a vaguely loose object with huge inertia.
I spend my time counter-correcting its movements which inevitably go beyond what I intended.

In an emergency situation with little time to react, it'd be awful!
Get a little toy drone. They do that all of the time. You can crash them into the wall without problems. It's how you get good at muscle memory, annoy the dog and learn how to replace tiny little propellers.

Reactions: BigAl07
My first venture into the RC ariel realm was learning on the small Coaxial heli's like this then moving up to a fixed pitch micro heli gradually increasing my size up to the Blade SR120 like this I then decided to venture into the Collective Pitch Helis and picked an older version of these up for my first go. The difference between the fixed pitch and collective pitch is night and day. My first flight with the CP I took off and thought I had good enough control over it then accidentally put a little to much input into one of the sticks and it flipped upside down and straight into the ground. Ended up having to rebuild pretty much the whole thing. But I would highly recommend the micro coaxial and even a micro fixed pitch to any pilot to learn some real control indoors and out. Plus they are way more fun to fly than the drones inside. On another note I picked up one of these in 2009 and was building DIY camera mounts for my gopro and contour cameras trying to get the shots we all get so easily now. I had a bunch of fun flying this thing and trying out different mounts. This was probably 3 years before the first phantom came out.

Learning to fly collective pitch nitro power heli years ago, only assistance was a gyro to stop rotation of heli. Spent hours on simulator first.

Its like balancing 2 balls on top of each other. Get it wrong and BOOM !

Having a 90cm long carbon fibre blade woosh past your ear is no fun !

Reactions: BigAl07
Obviously I have flown only in good conditions because I haven't noticed any difference between P3P P/A/F flight modes.
Unless you have Multiple Flight Modes enabled in the app, the P/A/F switch will do nothing.
And you need to reset your app settings after updating firmware because they are reset back to the default values.

Unless you have Multiple Flight Modes enabled in the app, the P/A/F switch will do nothing.
And you need to reset your app settings after updating firmware because they are reset back to the default values.

Thanks for the note. But I have had Multiple Flight Modes enabled (I believe also Litchi would complain if it wasn't really in F-mode). I'll pay more attention to the P vs A flight mode behaviour differences next time. BTW, does flying in F vs A mode differ in any way?

Yes I learned to fly attitude with practice on a little Hubsan X4. It was a learning tool that I feel was invaluable. You definately learn how to fly quickly. If you don't you end up fixing it. That truly isn't bad though.I flew the Hubsan a month or so before I got the Phantom.

The problem with GPS and Compass aided software based flight assistance is that for many, they will never learn to fly a drone "properly", i.e: without it.

Do we fly drones "properly" when we're in ATTI mode? The guys who fly in Manual mode might disagree.

Do we fly drones "properly" when we're in ATTI mode? The guys who fly in Manual mode might disagree.

Touché. :)

Properly: I meant with the know how.

Yes, software is useful and there is no going back

For instance, for cars the dip stick is gone and dual clutch transmissions are now better than manuals at handling torque and letting the driver focus on driving.

I am wondering why helicopters still need be flown "manually".

Last edited:
I just had a GPS error and had to switch to ATTI for the first time and thankfully I fly rc helicopters because It's a handful when on your own. Looks like I'm learning to fly in that mode now.

ATTI mode is of course usable if conditions are good, but I have flown deep in canyons with no GPS signal (scary) and once almost lost it because I had to fly in high winds in ATTI mode and fighting the wind was a real ***** as it nearly flew away. Because I fly to take photos or videos it really takes away from the time you spend composing shots, and mostly just try to keep the craft in the right place. You really come to love having GPS thats for sure.
I like to use ATTI mode to determine wind speed. I put it up to the required height in P mode and then switch to ATTI and it drifts with the wind and the speed is indicated on the screen. This lets me know what it has to fight if I fly a distance in P or Sport mode so that I don't run out of battery power.

I like to use ATTI mode to determine wind speed. I put it up to the required height in P mode and then switch to ATTI and it drifts with the wind and the speed is indicated on the screen. This lets me know what it has to fight if I fly a distance in P or Sport mode so that I don't run out of battery power.
Yep that's the first thing I do for my first flight of the morning / afternoon: see what the wind conditions are at various altitudes (direction and speed). I also like using wind drift in ATTI mode to shoot smooth panning video of a subject.

Reactions: Erised
Yep that's the first thing I do for my first flight of the morning / afternoon: see what the wind conditions are at various altitudes (direction and speed). I also like using wind drift in ATTI mode to shoot smooth panning video of a subject.
I also do this and find it makes smoother shooting transitions if the wind is not very high. I always take off and land in P mode and cruise in S mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl