Are drone operators AMA members?

Reaction score
How many people on this forum are AMA members?

I know of a few flying fields close by, but they seem to be for AMA members only.

So i'm curious, how many drone owners/operators here are AMA members?

nope never for me ama field around here doesn't allow drones

Reactions: Suhail78
Long time AMA member here.

Our flying club here is very "Drone Friendly" in fact some of our members were building them from airplane parts years before you could buy one ready made. I think it's a shame in this day and age any flying club would be so closed minded and silly as to be anti-drone. But our club is strictly for AMA members only but that's for insurance reasons because they are very receptive to new ideas and technologies.

Long time AMA member here.

Our flying club here is very "Drone Friendly" in fact some of our members were building them from airplane parts years before you could buy one ready made. I think it's a shame in this day and age any flying club would be so closed minded and silly as to be anti-drone. But our club is strictly for AMA members only but that's for insurance reasons because they are very receptive to new ideas and technologies.
the one in st pete fl ama only is very anti drones will kick you out fast if you are flying there doesn't matter if you are a member

Not quite sure I understand the desire to fly a Phantom at a flying field, AMA or otherwise. For me the Phantom is a legless tripod for my camera. Now if I had a racing drone with FPV then that would be a different matter. Then I would want someplace safe and friendly to drones and other model aircraft.

Reactions: Falcon900
Not quite sure I understand the desire to fly a Phantom at a flying field, AMA or otherwise. For me the Phantom is a legless tripod for my camera. Now if I had a racing drone with FPV then that would be a different matter. Then I would want someplace safe and friendly to drones and other model aircraft.

Flying fields are great safe places to put your bird into ATTI Mode and work on some serious stick skills. Makes you a better more prepared pilot and better still ITS FUN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigAl07
Flying fields are great safe places to put your bird into ATTI Mode and work on some serious stick skills. Makes you a better more prepared pilot and better still ITS FUN!

due that over neighborhood

Not quite sure I understand the desire to fly a Phantom at a flying field, AMA or otherwise. .

While it has a great camera and taking pictures and video with it are neat I also like to fly the thing. I go to a park near work and zoom about, trying to get better at control and using it.

Everyone has their reasons for flying what they fly.

Maybe if you are rural enough. In suburbia it would be very easy to end up flying over unprotected people.

mine is not rural at all lots of homes

Im a fairly new phantom 4 owner/operator, and im just trying to find safe legal places to fly, the more and more i search, the more discouraged i get......city parks in Columbus, Ohio do not allow them, I dont really have a back yard to fly in. I know of 2 places i can go fly in, and one of them is really great, the other is just a small park, that is often packed with kids playing soccer, so i refrain from flying there during the day, and by the time it clears out the sun is coming down, i've flow there at dusk a few times, and other time when people are around, i limit myself to an empty baseball field. Just looking for different places to go and just fly my bird, its been quite challenging.

An AMA field may or may not be a great option. Check for clubs around you and go visit them. See if they are drone friendly and if they have a nice flying space. The different clubs vary. Also despite the size of your yard once you pop up 100 feet above it you do have all of your property to fly about.
I found a few farms that really like me shooting aerial video of their property and in return I can go out there anytime and fly!! You may look around your area or get your social network fired up and find a situation like that for yourself.

And just tossing this out .... Maybe some of us who live in areas with enough pilots could form our own drone focused AMA groups! :)

Reactions: BigAl07
While it has a great camera and taking pictures and video with it are neat I also like to fly the thing. I go to a park near work and zoom about, trying to get better at control and using it.

Everyone has their reasons for flying what they fly.
Agreed. For me it is my Red Bull camera: It has (rotary) wings!

Im a fairly new phantom 4 owner/operator, and im just trying to find safe legal places to fly, the more and more i search, the more discouraged i get......city parks in Columbus, Ohio do not allow them, I dont really have a back yard to fly in. I know of 2 places i can go fly in, and one of them is really great, the other is just a small park, that is often packed with kids playing soccer, so i refrain from flying there during the day, and by the time it clears out the sun is coming down, i've flow there at dusk a few times, and other time when people are around, i limit myself to an empty baseball field. Just looking for different places to go and just fly my bird, its been quite challenging.

I feel you on the discouraged part. Especially with all the negativity the media has put out on drones. There's always going to be someone out there thats ready to give you **** about privacy, need to be registered, I saw on the news that you need a license do you have one?, you can't fly that thing around here...blah blah blah.

I think If AMA provided protection for drone pilots I would consider joining. Since they don't, well....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl