Apple iPad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, getting ready to pull the trigger on a P3P and have a question about the tablet of choice. I currently have an iPad 3 64GB which to my understanding will not run the app as the iPad is too old. I am looking at buying another iPad but not sure which one to buy. I would only really be using it with the Phantom. Any suggestions on which iPad to buy? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

All of the iPads listed here are compatible with DJI GO.

Hey everyone, getting ready to pull the trigger on a P3P and have a question about the tablet of choice. I currently have an iPad 3 64GB which to my understanding will not run the app as the iPad is too old. I am looking at buying another iPad but not sure which one to buy. I would only really be using it with the Phantom. Any suggestions on which iPad to buy? Thanks in advance.

I use the iPad Pro 12.9 inch and love it!

I use the approved Samsung Tab A 7 2016 version. 119 bucks at WalMart. Internal GPS chip too. Works perfect!

I use the approved Samsung Tab A 7 2016 version.
FYI, that's not a device approved by DJI. Many people are successfully using it though.

I use the iPad Air 2 (4G). Runs the GO and Litchi app without problems and never crashed. I also have a iPad mini, but this is 1.gen, and to slow. If it was the latest generation, i probably use instead, as weight/size is perfect for this. Bottom line, my suggestion for a new iPad (for Phantom use) would be latest gen. iPad mini.

I Fly a Phantom 3 Pro and had to update my I-Pad
I bought an I-Pad Mini 2 -32 gb with WIFI at Best Buy

Look on their site for ( Type ) Open Box ) merchandise. I got it cheaper than what I see on Amazon tonight .Plus It had the New Warranty The screen size fits Great in my Remote Controller holder =

If you want to edit in iMovie in the iPad get as much storage that you can. My iPad Pro is almost maxed out with video even though I have the 256 gb model. I have an SD card reader I transfer the full res videos onto the iPad with.

OK, but will just the wifi model work? Is there a way to transfer from the ipad to my Mac desktop and edit my footage there on the desktop? Say if I only wanted to spring for a 32GB.

AirDrop works great and transfers really quick, one of the great features of Apple. As far as a WiFi only model, not sure on that one. Mine has cellular.

OK, but will just the wifi model work? Is there a way to transfer from the ipad to my Mac desktop and edit my footage there on the desktop? Say if I only wanted to spring for a 32GB.
You just plug the iPad into any USB port on the Mac. You can transfer any video on your iPad to the Mac using the Image Capture utility.

But, why are you storing video on your iPad? Normally, your video would be stored to the SD card on the drone and you'd transfer it by plugging the card into a card reader. If you're simultaneously screen capturing for some reason, 32 gig won't be nearly enough. If you're trying to edit on the iPad using iMovie, likewise, but why would you edit on the iPad instead of your home computer?

You don't have to have cellular, just make sure you cache any maps you need before you go out to fly. But do note that if you won't have cellular you also won't have GPS so you won't have any Follow function.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Iversen
Sorry -- I'm not trying to be pedantic. I was only pointing out that device is not approved by DJI. I thought that's what you were saying above.

Reactions: mshick68
Sorry -- I'm not trying to be pedantic. I was only pointing out that device is not approved by DJI. I thought that's what you were saying above.
OH np SIr. Im confused tho. It is listed on the link you noted. So why is it not approved. I thought all listed on the link you sent are approved. What am I missing?

OH np SIr. Im confused tho. It is listed on the link you noted. So why is it not approved. I thought all listed on the link you sent are approved. What am I missing?
Also I appreciate the fact that you are active on this board and helping. Way to go!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl