Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anybody else having problems with the FAA's UAS Civil COA Request online form?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveMann, Aug 27, 2015.

1. SteveMann

This is for the 333 exemption holders.
    Are any of you having problems with the FAA's UAS Civil COA Request online form?

2. LUISMARTINEZ

did u get your 333?

3. LUISMARTINEZ

Steve, I'm still confused about COAs. This is from the FAA's website:

Who can receive a COA to fly a UA in the NAS?

Only public agencies operating an unmanned aircraft. ??? This seems to imply commercial opns. do not qualify or need a COA.

• What is a “Public Agency?”

Any agency that operates a public aircraft (14 CFR Part 1.1). If you receive funding from the federal government at some level, you are probably a “Public Agency.” A public agency can never operate under the guidelines of Advisory Circular 91-57 (Model Aircraft Operating Standards).

4. SteveMann

Not yet, but I fly for someone who does. He wants to do something outside of the blanket COA and can't get the form to work.

5. SteveMann

Read the bottom line:
    "Page last modified: November 14, 2012"

The FAQ which is neither a rule nor a policy is not up to date. But when any exemption is issued, not just for UAS operations, a COA is often mandated in the Conditions and Limitations of the exemption. Many, many ... many years ago, I had to get an exemption from 14 CFR 91.15 "Dropping Objects" when we were dropping a skydiver into a crowd. The exemption stated that we were required to obtain a COA from the FSDO a day before the jump.

So, I am not surprised at all to see a COA requirement in Section 333 Conditions and Limitations.

6. LUISMARTINEZ

The COA system seems to be designed for public agencies.
    Tough to get straight answers when the site has misleading info. thanks.

7. Mark Salvoni

I am 33 exempt and yes I have been having issues with getting a COA. I am trying to get a COA to fly my p3p within a few miles of an airport. Problem is I can't complete the application for the COA because My drone doesn't have an N number. I am currently trying to get an N number so I can apply and get my first COA. Let me know if you have success. DO you have an N number?