Any information on the use of a drone for locating deer and there routes?

To a decent hunter, it isn't the "kill" that's important. For example, how many seconds are there in a week long Moose hunt? Hundreds of thousands, right? How many seconds does it take to kill an animal? Less than one second as a rule. So, how could the kill possibly be the most important part of the hunt? It isn't.

Sitting around the campfire at night with friends is part of the hunt. Planning, is part of the hunt. Cooking the meals on a hunt, and just about every other aspect of being there is important. If a hunter is lucky enough to be able to take home a game animal then it is treated as a gift from God. No decent hunter believes that the "kill" is the best part or the most fun part. Every game animal I've ever taken, I've felt remorse for the animal. As a hunter, you have just taken its life and must treat it with the greatest respect. The "hunt", not the "kill", is the most important part of hunting. Anyone with a gun can kill an animal, but everyone with a gun that kills an animal isn't necessarily a hunter.

Just my humble opinion as a Hunter Education Instructor and a (retired) hunter.

Bud

I understand the sport of hunting for some. . I just don't go kill things for fun. I understand if the hunt is for a food source. I go to the grocery store for food but I don't consider that a sport. If I had to hunt for my food, I would do it. But to me, it wouldn't be a sport that I would enjoy.

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
I photographed some deer with my Mavic Pro a few weeks ago. At closest I was probably 15 m away (illegal in Canada) from one deer dozing in the snow. She didn't seem to mind all that much.

upload_2017-3-18_18-34-41.png

upload_2017-3-18_18-35-19.png

Can you hunt with a drone legally?
From my perspective, if you're not enough of hunter to track game on your own, maybe you should find another pursuit What's next? Killer auto-track lasers that not only kill your game, but dress and cook it for you too? Hunt like a man, not like a video game player.

Funny cause he mentioned he wanted to see if they had shed yet. So the answer would be yes, as long as you aren't harassing them you could spot deer, look at the pictures and see if any were bucks that had shed. Here in New Mexico just about everyone (deer and elk) should be shed out in the next week or two.

Scouting with a drone in my mind would be cheating, but then I hunt for the hunt. I enjoy walking through the country, carrying a rifle can be a pain but then my family eats ethically harvested deer and elk. Just don't fly it just prior or during hunts and your legal. Don't harass deer (in my opinion if they run your too close) and your fine.

My shed haul last spring from a weekend. (No drone used)

c75a80f03f8b7b02dd9893e83610f073.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Exactly. The kill for sport thing sucks too.

Yup, agreed. Sport killing is a self fulfilling ego trip if you ask me. I used to shoot xxxx just to shoot them.... then I grew up.
Responsible hunting keeps populations healthy. Most hunters are the most fervent and responsible environmentalists you will find, and the meat from wildlife is much more humane than slaughterhouse farm killing, and much goes to poor families.

Also, deer meat is very lean and healthy protein, great meat for a lower fat diet.

I would have to disagree, they only conserve so they can hunt, they do not hunt to be a conservationist. Why do you think several states still have "predator hunts"... they say it is to "keep the predators in check"... why would you need to shoot natural predators, then go back and shoot the game animals to keep THEM healthy and in check... instead of not shooting predators and let the natural predators keep the game healthy and populations in check.

Not only that I'll disagree on another point: Natural predators take the weak and sick. Last time I checked hunters take the biggest and best they can find. When was the last time you heard a sport hunter say: "Hey, I just bagged me a sick droopy doe that weighed only 120 pounds!"... not ever I do not believe. In my opinion sport hunting make the game animals weaker, not stronger and a species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Monte55
Yup, agreed. Sport killing is a self fulfilling ego trip if you ask me. I used to shoot xxxx just to shoot them.... then I grew up.

I would have to disagree, they only conserve so they can hunt, they do not hunt to be a conservationist. Why do you think several states still have "predator hunts"... they say it is to "keep the predators in check"... why would you need to shoot natural predators, then go back and shoot the game animals to keep THEM healthy and in check... instead of not shooting predators and let the natural predators keep the game healthy and populations in check.

Not only that I'll disagree on another point: Natural predators take the weak and sick. Last time I checked hunters take the biggest and best they can find. When was the last time you heard a sport hunter say: "Hey, I just bagged me a sick droopy doe that weighed only 120 pounds!"... not ever I do not believe. In my opinion sport hunting make the game animals weaker, not stronger and a species.

You should do research because you are wrong on all counts. Predator hunts are to keep them away from human habitation. Bears love garbage and that brings them closer to humans. Most places the predators that would hunt deer are completely gone, there are no bears, cougars, or wolves in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi any more so the Deer have no natural predators. In the Midwest the story is the same the natural predatory patterns were destroyed by human development. The only places they still control populations of deer are the mountains and the deep forests of the northeast and northwest states. When deer overpopulate states change the bag limits, and in my state it keeps going up because the population is bigger than it ever has been.
The only predators that have increased is coyotes and they are more likely to hunt pets and small children than deer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl